Berkeley v. Michigan (International Law) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolprospect123

New

Berkeley v. Michigan (International Law)

Post by lawschoolprospect123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 am

Does anyone have a sense of which of the schools would be a better school to go to if I want to have a career in International Law? Is one more recognized than the other? Where will I get the best education to work in this field?

Thank you!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Berkeley v. Michigan (International Law)

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 am

:(

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

CLS is the only answer--to get a job in international law you have to take Amal Clooney's course, period full stop. Also spend considerable time watching Bridget Jones' Diary, I believe Colin Firth had the same job that Amal does. Unless you mean "capital markets" or "transnational corporate law" when you say "international law," you are about as likely to work with either of them as you are to work for the ICC or whatever else OLs imagine when they talk about that "practice area."

xiao_long

New

Post by xiao_long » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 pm

lawschoolprospect123 wrote:Does anyone have a sense of which of the schools would be a better school to go to if I want to have a career in International Law? Is one more recognized than the other? Where will I get the best education to work in this field?

Thank you!
Berkeley is much more renowned internationally, especially in Asia. Actually getting a job in "international law", however, is a separate matter altogether. :lol:

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 pm

xiao_long wrote:
lawschoolprospect123 wrote:Does anyone have a sense of which of the schools would be a better school to go to if I want to have a career in International Law? Is one more recognized than the other? Where will I get the best education to work in this field?

Thank you!
Berkeley is much more renowned internationally, especially in Asia. Actually getting a job in "international law", however, is a separate matter altogether. :lol:
For the record, Michigan also punches above its (stateside) weight internationally. But we're mostly talking about undergrad/lay rep here. UCLA is the same way.

Also, for serious, speciality rankings are garbage and neither school sets you up for what 0Ls call "international law." If you want to work in the Hague, go to Yale and get an awesome fellowship. Otherwise don't go to law school unless you have a realistic career goal.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Michigan had that German prof. who was on the ICJ. Because of that, M is very highly regarded in Germany, from what I've been told by the German LLMs. I knew a girl who clerked for the ICJ, but she was an LLM student and brilliant. Apparently others do that too. I suspect it's a wash.

Maybe check the programs the respective schools have and see which you like more. I know several people who spent a semester in Michigan's Geneva program. Virtually everyone who applies gets it. There is also a South Africa and Cambodia thing that happens. I'm not sure if any of them are good. The Human Trafficking Clinic is baller and touches on some international stuff re: asylum and immigration. I have no idea about Berkeley.

International law is the most squishy shit ever though. You'll probably hate it. The Athenians had the right of it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melian_dia ... cumstances )

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:CLS is the only answer--to get a job in international law you have to take Amal Clooney's course, period full stop. Also spend considerable time watching Bridget Jones' Diary, I believe Colin Firth had the same job that Amal does. Unless you mean "capital markets" or "transnational corporate law" when you say "international law," you are about as likely to work with either of them as you are to work for the ICC or whatever else OLs imagine when they talk about that "practice area."
It's pretty awesome.

KangarooCourt13

New

Post by KangarooCourt13 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 pm

As others have pointed out, "international law" is kind of a vague interest.

I will say NYC and DC seem like the cities to be in for that type of thing....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”