Columbia (sticker) vs. UCLA/USC/GWU/Emory ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Other25BeforeYou

Re: Columbia (sticker) vs. UCLA/USC/GWU/Emory ($$$$)

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:33 pm

negativefeedback wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:But yeah, if you're dead set on going this year, call Georgetown, Cornell, and NYU and tell them that. I wouldn't be surprised if they cough up some money.

What exactly do I say to a school that hasn't even admitted me? I've been wanting to contact them for an update on my status, but I am literally clueless as to what I should say and how I should say it.

Do you have deposit deadlines coming up? I would explain you have a deposit deadline coming up for X school (preferably Columbia?) but explain that you're very interested in attended Y school (Cornell/GTown/NYU) and ask whether you're likely to hear a response by that date.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
negativefeedback wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:But yeah, if you're dead set on going this year, call Georgetown, Cornell, and NYU and tell them that. I wouldn't be surprised if they cough up some money.

What exactly do I say to a school that hasn't even admitted me? I've been wanting to contact them for an update on my status, but I am literally clueless as to what I should say and how I should say it.

Do you have deposit deadlines coming up? I would explain you have a deposit deadline coming up for X school (preferably Columbia?) but explain that you're very interested in attended Y school (Cornell/GTown/NYU) and ask whether you're likely to hear a response by that date.

Although really it could be a deadline for any of the schools you've gotten into. I was thinking Columbia since that sends the clearest message of "hey, this person got into columbia but they're not withdrawing apps, they must really be interested!" On the other hand, UCLA or GW could send the message of "hey, this person's planning to attend somewhere lower-ranked than us, maybe we really do have a good shot at getting them if we throw in some merit-based aid."

negativefeedback

Postby negativefeedback » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
negativefeedback wrote:

In an update, Georgetown, Cornell and Northwestern all waitlisted me today. All that's left is Stanford, NYU and UChi. At this point, I'm not even expecting rejections, just waitlists. I feel like a sick joke is being played on me.

So here's my new line of thinking. I must get into ONE of these schools, right? Columbia can't be the only one to accept me. And I'm on so many waitlists that someone is bound to take me. But my question is, will I get any money from them?? Has that ever happened? I honestly don't know if people get merit aid off of waitlists, but it sounds unlikely.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:03 am

hey i PMed you

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:05 am

negativefeedback wrote:But my question is, will I get any money from them?? Has that ever happened? I honestly don't know if people get merit aid off of waitlists, but it sounds unlikely.

It happens every single year, especially since applicant numbers began rapidly declining. Write your LOCI's and hang tough on those waitlists.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”