Northwestern vs. Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll

Northwestern (76K COA)
33%
Penn (112K COA)
67%

Total votes: 30

plaidisrad

Northwestern vs. Penn

Postby plaidisrad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 pm

New poll due to new data. Super grateful for input! (Especially if you feel comfortable saying why you'd choose one over the other.)

Goals
Unicorn-level PI work in civil rights, policy (sorry for how douchey this sounds).
Maximum geographic flexibility.

COA
Northwestern: ~76K
Penn: ~112K
Numbers represent estimated debt after three years.

Stats
LSAT: 170ish
GPA: 3.9ish

Other
For personal reasons, Philadelphia's a more comfortable destination for me, but I've got modest ties to Chicago as well.

Re: Northwestern vs. Penn

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm

what would your backup plan be

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 pm

NU, unless you really like Philly. Penn IMO isnt worth 36k more

Serett

Postby Serett » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm

I don't think one or the other will help more with those plans. I'd have taken NU with $36k more than Penn, but I don't think either is indefensible at their respective CoA. Back-up plan and preferred market (Chicago vs. New York) should largely inform your decision (aside from cost/general employment stats, obviously).

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

DELG

Postby DELG » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 am

For biglaw I would do Penn (even as an enthusiastic NU alum). For prestigious PI, meeting the right people quickly and often is more important so I would choose Chicago over Philly and then try to do some sort of semester in NYC.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:42 am

Tough call. Penn may be worth the difference in cost if seeking biglaw. But, Northwestern's lower cost & location make this a difficult choice with no wrong answer.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:55 pm

I would encourage you to weigh the difference in the PI network at Penn vs. Northwestern.

Drizin and the guys at NU Bluhm are straight ballers. They do excellent work on a wide range of issues. My understanding is that there are a lot of meaningful opportunities for students to get involved. They're super connected and if you convince someone from Bluhm to pick up the phone and advocate for you, their word can open doors.

Here is some Bluhm work in the news yesterday/today:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 71949.html

I am not 100% sure Penn has invested the same amount in their PI staff and cultivating the same PI opportunities for students. Worth investigating and weighing.

xiao_long

Postby xiao_long » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 pm

plaidisrad wrote:New poll due to new data. Super grateful for input! (Especially if you feel comfortable saying why you'd choose one over the other.)

Goals
Unicorn-level PI work in civil rights, policy (sorry for how douchey this sounds).

COA
Northwestern: ~76K
Penn: ~112K
Numbers represent estimated debt after three years.

Stats
LSAT: 170ish
GPA: 3.9ish

Other
For personal reasons, Philadelphia's a more comfortable destination for me, but I've got modest ties to Chicago as well.

Am I the only one that thinks NU is more geographically flexible than Penn? Looking at the data, NU's 3 largest markets were IL, NY, and CA. Penn's top 3, on the other hand, were NY, PA, and DC. NU has alumni from coast to coast, while Upenn alumni will tend to cluster around the East Coast.

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:50 pm

xiao_long wrote:Am I the only one that thinks NU is more geographically flexible than Penn? Looking at the data, NU's 3 largest markets were IL, NY, and CA. Penn's top 3, on the other hand, were NY, PA, and DC. NU has alumni from coast to coast, while Upenn alumni will tend to cluster around the East Coast.

This is an interesting point.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Wouldn't a school like Harvard or maybe even NYU be better for the OP?

havemercylorde

Postby havemercylorde » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:Wouldn't a school like Harvard or maybe even NYU be better for the OP?

Yes, NYU's as good an option as any for unicorn PI. OP, did you get any money at NYU?

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 pm

havemercylorde wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Wouldn't a school like Harvard or maybe even NYU be better for the OP?

Yes, NYU's as good an option as any for unicorn PI. OP, did you get any money at NYU?

If only. I was...disappointed. Not sure what went wrong.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:27 pm

plaidisrad wrote:
havemercylorde wrote:

If only. I was...disappointed. Not sure what went wrong.

Retake

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:Retake

Ha, yeah, I've considered it. But external factors that I don't totally want to get into make waiting for the next cycle unappealing. I might be able to scrape together better outcomes with a retake, if I were to score a few points higher, and that means it might very well be the right choice. For the moment, though, I'm setting the retake route aside and trying to assess what's already on the table.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Goals

If you just mentioned these considerations (without mentioning the law schools you were considering) and asked me to rank the top 14 schools according to your goals, both Cornell and Penn would be in the bottom 5. Maybe even in the bottom 3.

You need to adjust your goals or find a way to get into different law schools next cycle.

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Goals

If you just mentioned these considerations (without mentioning the law schools you were considering) and asked me to rank the top 14 schools according to your goals, both Cornell and Penn would be in the bottom 5. Maybe even in the bottom 3.

You need to adjust your goals or find a way to get into different law schools next cycle.

Fair enough - but you mention Cornell, not NU. Does that change things even a little, or just a slip?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:58 pm

plaidisrad wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Goals

Fair enough - but you mention Cornell, not NU. Does that change thing even a little, or just a slip?

Whoops! In my head, I was thinking of a hypothetical bottom three of Penn, Cornell, and Northwestern. I just singled out the wrong one. Sorry.

plaidisrad

Postby plaidisrad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Sigh.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”