Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lavitz

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:59 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
Blue0613 wrote:Cornell is the first place where I've started to wonder --- will I be happy if I go here

Blue, I wondered the same thing after my visit. Cornell just seemed gloomier and the students seemed unhappy compared to Penn. I also met some 2Ls at Penn who weren't part of the ASW committee and they honestly told me they loved it.

I felt like the students at Cornell didn't like each other. I didn't see anyone studying together or even talking, just a bunch of people sitting alone.

I had a much higher offer from Cornell, but after my visit, I wasn't looking forward to attending. Fortunately, Penn raised my scholarship so the decision was easy.

I'm sure Cornell Law is a great place, and maybe I caught it at a bad time, but I was wasn't sure I'd be happy there after visiting too.

I didn't get this impression at all during the visit. I talked to a bunch of students not part of ASW, and they all seemed pretty happy.

Yeah, I have no idea what Blue and the snowflake dude are talking about. Maybe it's because you were at the mixer and they weren't, but we obviously like each other. I mean, there was a giant 2L wine tour yesterday, but you're obviously not going to see that on a tour of the law school on a Friday. And snowflake definitely wasn't in my tour group, because I specifically pointed out a typical 1L study group to them.

Anyway, more proof that admissions shouldn't have pushed ASW back into finals period.

Lincoln wrote:I'm not a current student, so maybe the place has changed radically in the last two years

Well, Chapter House burned down, so there's that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:02 pm

In the recent past, many (TLS posters included) have expressed dissatisfaction with Cornell's atmosphere. The weather is a bit on the gloomy side.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:23 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In the recent past, many (TLS posters included) have expressed dissatisfaction with Cornell's atmosphere. The weather is a bit on the gloomy side.

Ironically, the weather was beautiful this weekend.

But yes, I am obviously familiar with our reputation. The school is not for everyone, and the high school vibe is accurate. But this is the first time I've seen anyone post about "palpable dissatisfaction" after an ASW.

Anyway, to the extent there is dissatisfaction, it mostly stems from the location, and OP already said they liked Ithaca, so whatever.

koval

Postby koval » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:28 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
Blue0613 wrote:Cornell is the first place where I've started to wonder --- will I be happy if I go here

Blue, I wondered the same thing after my visit. Cornell just seemed gloomier and the students seemed unhappy compared to Penn. I also met some 2Ls at Penn who weren't part of the ASW committee and they honestly told me they loved it.

I felt like the students at Cornell didn't like each other. I didn't see anyone studying together or even talking, just a bunch of people sitting alone.

I had a much higher offer from Cornell, but after my visit, I wasn't looking forward to attending. Fortunately, Penn raised my scholarship so the decision was easy.

I'm sure Cornell Law is a great place, and maybe I caught it at a bad time, but I was wasn't sure I'd be happy there after visiting too.

I didn't get this impression at all during the visit. I talked to a bunch of students not part of ASW, and they all seemed pretty happy.

Dude, no offense to whoever this guy spoke to but the only people I know here who don't love Cornell are either lame af, or don't have a job (and that's really on them considering Cornell's numbers).

The only reason I could see you not liking Cornell is if you don't like the very prevalent "work hard, play hard" mentality at the school (I'm not even considering not liking Ithaca as a legitimate reason to reject better employment outcomes).

For OP considering Cornell or Penn, the order of importance goes employment numbers and costs > target market > school culture.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:

I wasn't at ASW, so I can't speak to that. It sounded like fun (especially the mixer), but i couldn't go after I withdrew. I went on a tour a couple months ago and that's what my impressions are coming from. From reading the Class of 2018, ASW sounded fun.

Koval I completely agree with you about the order of importance. The cost for me was close enough that I decided based on target market and culture. Cornell at COL is a much better outcome than 1/2 scholly Penn, and OP should go there IMO (if this post is even serious). But when it gets within 45-50k, there are other factors (again IMO) that you can take into consideration.

I don't agree with the lame af part about me, but I am sitting at home watching netflix today so..

I'm not saying Cornell isn't a great school. The employment #s are amazing, and school should be ranked much higher. I just felt the same thing blue felt on my tour, and I wanted to echo that. I've heard a lot of law students say that their school self selects its class - you have to want to be there. When I heard that at Penn, I knew I wanted to be there. When I visited Cornell, I kinda felt like I wouldn't fit in or be happy there. I wanted to give Cornell another try at ASW, but the timing didn't work out.

Sorry about the rant, just trying to explain myself and my motivations. We should get back to talking about OP and their feelings, not anyone else.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Lol the dissatisfaction was palpable, wut? Unhappiness with the weather, sure, but people at Cornell are generally close and like to have fun.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”