Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deedubs
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby deedubs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

This is killing me.
Both seem like perfectly reasonable choices, Cornell is just $60,000 cheaper. $60,000
What am I thinking even thinking about going to Penn?
Is the prestige really worth it at the back end?
Are there any people who are not also applicants and just looking from the employment stats? Any BigLaw paralegals out there who hear the talk amongst people whose opinion means something? :mrgreen:
Guide me, oh wise ones.

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby hairbear7 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm

What are your career goals, ties, and desired market?

User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by tyrant_flycatcher on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adil91
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby adil91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Is hellalot a named scholarship?

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby MarkfromWI » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:20 pm

adil91 wrote:Is hellalot a named scholarship?


I really wish I knew if you were joking...

ETA: Go to Cornell. Enjoy more money in your pocket. You can laugh at their extra preftige all the way to the bank

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:25 pm

You didn't really provide any info that people can use to help you, other than saying one is 60K more than the other. If you provide all the info in the stickied post at the top of the forum then people can probably help you.

I'm not really sure what you mean by prestige but I'm guessing both are equally prestigious so that's a wash. Both these schools are just rando Ivys. If you want real prestige then you need to go to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton IMO.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 pm

mayb we should figure out what market op is targeting and her costs first

mayb

(scooped by zucks)

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Lincoln » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:You didn't really provide any info that people can use to help you, other than saying one is 60K more than the other. If you provide all the info in the stickied post at the top of the forum then people can probably help you.

I'm not really sure what you mean by prestige but I'm guessing both are equally prestigious so that's a wash. Both these schools are just rando Ivys. If you want real prestige then you need to go to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton IMO.


Princeton Law is definitely the most preftigous.

OP, I'm biased both in favor of Cornell, generally, and against debt, specifically. Both lead me to recommend Cornell. PM me for Cornell-specific questions.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Cornell unless it is worth $60k to you to live in philly rather than ithaca

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8762
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Serett » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:02 pm


User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm

I genuinely don't understand how people are answering this without any information whatsoever.
Where do you want to work, doing what?
How much money from each
How you will be financing
City v. middle of nowhere

adil91
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby adil91 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 am

MarkfromWI wrote:
adil91 wrote:Is hellalot a named scholarship?


I really wish I knew if you were joking...

ETA: Go to Cornell. Enjoy more money in your pocket. You can laugh at their extra preftige all the way to the bank


I'm serious

It sounds like it's full tuition or full tuition + stipend

OP I would take Cornell

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 am

good title

deedubs
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby deedubs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:45 am

I thank you all for returning me to rational thinking.
I have no rational preference for Penn.
I don't particularly care to live in Philly. I'm from upstate New York and I liked Ithaca as a kid.
I'm paying with loans.
And, I really feel blessed that I could receive the Myron Hellalot Taylor scholarship.

Thank you for your guidance, oh wise ones. You have done me a great service.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 am

deedubs wrote:I thank you all for returning me to rational thinking.
I have no rational preference for Penn.
I don't particularly care to live in Philly. I'm from upstate New York and I liked Ithaca as a kid.
I'm paying with loans.
And, I really feel blessed that I could receive the Myron Hellalot Taylor scholarship.

Thank you for your guidance, oh wise ones. You have done me a great service.

If you're from Upstate New York then you have the added bonus that all of your high school classmates think Cornell is the equivalent of Harvard and have absolutely no idea of what or where Penn is.

But yeah, you'll probably end up with the same job or type of job coming from either school, so probably not worth another $60k to go to Penn.

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:21 am

The Point of a big city is to party and get laid. Ithaca offers both. Win. Oh, and networking blah blah blah

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:22 am

.

KangarooCourt13
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:22 pm

OP has one of them "good problems."

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 am

Why on earth are people still responding to this like it's serious...

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 am

deedubs wrote:I thank you all for returning me to rational thinking.
I have no rational preference for Penn.
I don't particularly care to live in Philly. I'm from upstate New York and I liked Ithaca as a kid.
I'm paying with loans.
And, I really feel blessed that I could receive the Myron Hellalot Taylor scholarship.

Thank you for your guidance, oh wise ones. You have done me a great service.


:lol:

Blue0613
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Blue0613 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:24 am

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 am

NYC biglaw goals? Upstate NY goals?
I'd go Cornell. $60k is a good chunk of change.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Blue0613 wrote:Cornell is the first place where I've started to wonder --- will I be happy if I go here


Blue, I wondered the same thing after my visit. Cornell just seemed gloomier and the students seemed unhappy compared to Penn. I also met some 2Ls at Penn who weren't part of the ASW committee and they honestly told me they loved it.

I felt like the students at Cornell didn't like each other. I didn't see anyone studying together or even talking, just a bunch of people sitting alone.

I had a much higher offer from Cornell, but after my visit, I wasn't looking forward to attending. Fortunately, Penn raised my scholarship so the decision was easy.

I'm sure Cornell Law is a great place, and maybe I caught it at a bad time, but I was wasn't sure I'd be happy there after visiting too.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Lincoln » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm not a current student, so maybe the place has changed radically in the last two years, but FWIW, I had three of the best years of my (sadly now fairly long) life at Cornell. Last night a friend clerking far away was in town, and twenty people showed up to hang out. It's Cornell, not Bergen-Belsen.

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell w/hellalot v. Penn w/more than half-chubbed

Postby Yeezus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:12 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
Blue0613 wrote:Cornell is the first place where I've started to wonder --- will I be happy if I go here


Blue, I wondered the same thing after my visit. Cornell just seemed gloomier and the students seemed unhappy compared to Penn. I also met some 2Ls at Penn who weren't part of the ASW committee and they honestly told me they loved it.

I felt like the students at Cornell didn't like each other. I didn't see anyone studying together or even talking, just a bunch of people sitting alone.

I had a much higher offer from Cornell, but after my visit, I wasn't looking forward to attending. Fortunately, Penn raised my scholarship so the decision was easy.

I'm sure Cornell Law is a great place, and maybe I caught it at a bad time, but I was wasn't sure I'd be happy there after visiting too.


I didn't get this impression at all during the visit. I talked to a bunch of students not part of ASW, and they all seemed pretty happy.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8 and 5 guests