Michigan vs. UCLA vs. USC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

School Choice

Michigan
42%
UCLA
12%
USC
23%
Other
No votes
Reapply/Retake and Reapply
23%

Total votes: 26

AlohaFriday

Michigan vs. UCLA vs. USC

Postby AlohaFriday » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

As deadlines approach, I am trying to decide where I should deposit. I have been accepted at Michigan, UCLA, USC, and Georgetown. I am awaiting decisions from Stanford, Columbia, and NYU. Wait listed at Harvard, Penn, and Duke. Rejected at Yale and Boalt. I did not apply to any other schools.

Scholarships/COA:
Michigan: $75,000 total; $142,284 COA
UCLA: $105,500 total; $118,484.98 COA (Will gain CA residency after 1L)
USC: $159,000 total, $92,469 COA
Georgetown: Yet to receive offer

I will be financing my education through loans.

I am from Hawaii, but I am currently an undergraduate in CA. I'd like to work in CA if possible. Not opposed to other markets, but CA is a preference. I would say my ties in the area are average.

I am hopeful for biglaw. Not entirely set on biglaw but definitely private practice. No interest in PI.

LSAT: 168; GPA: 3.9 (URM)

Took LSAT once after 6 months of classes. Was PTing in a wide range of 163-169 range about 1.5 months out. First LSAT was 157 or 159, can't remember.

I'd appreciate any input!
Last edited by AlohaFriday on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Re: Michigan vs. UCLA vs. USC

Postby KMart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Your GPA will be loved by Boalt. Retake, get Boalt/Stanford, enjoy CA.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:07 pm

KMart wrote:Your GPA will be loved by Boalt. Retake, get Boalt/Stanford, enjoy CA.

With your goals, as a URM, I think this is TCR. Seems like wasting that GPA to take one of these offers when a reasonable LSAT increase would get you such better options in CA.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Are you sure that you're a URM? I would think the offers would be a bit better based on URM status and those numbers but I could be wrong.

Postby 071816 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:16 pm

what is your specific ethnic background?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:Are you sure that you're a URM? I would think the offers would be a bit better based on URM status and those numbers but I could be wrong.

Thinking the same thing..

AlohaFriday

Postby AlohaFriday » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Yes, I am URM. You can PM me for specifics but I am sure that my ethnicity is considered a URM. I was also wondering whether I got reasonable outcomes given my stats and it seems like I may have under-performed.

Would cramming and taking the LSAT in June be a poor decision? I am hesitant to sit out an entire cycle due to my PT range
Last edited by AlohaFriday on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Well you might be a URM but you sure didn't get a boost from it. None of these options are very attractive. USC is probably best here but that is still a relatively risky debt load for it. Better option is to get a job and retake though.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 pm

AlohaFriday wrote:I was also wondering whether I got reasonable outcomes given my stats and it seems like I may have under-performed.

You did.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 pm

You're black, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and/or Native American? And the schools knew that? I'd maybe go back and make sure your applications indicated that because it doesn't look like you got a bump at all.

indo

Postby indo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:37 pm

KMart wrote:
AlohaFriday wrote:I was also wondering whether I got reasonable outcomes given my stats and it seems like I may have under-performed.

You did.

+1

AlohaFriday

Postby AlohaFriday » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone. I understand that this is conjecture but could anyone give me any examples of typical outcomes someone with my stats could reasonably expect? I understand that this is a difficult and likely inaccurate estimation but everyone has lamented that my application has under-performed. I'd like a general idea of how badly it did

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:40 pm

AlohaFriday wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. I understand that this is conjecture but could anyone give me any examples of typical outcomes someone with my stats could reasonably expect? I understand that this is a difficult and likely inaccurate estimation but everyone has lamented that my application has under-performed. I'd like a general idea of how badly it did

if you were getting an AA boost as someone with a 168/3.9 Harvard would be a real possibility, and CCN would be blowing its collective load on you.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:41 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
AlohaFriday wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. I understand that this is conjecture but could anyone give me any examples of typical outcomes someone with my stats could reasonably expect? I understand that this is a difficult and likely inaccurate estimation but everyone has lamented that my application has under-performed. I'd like a general idea of how badly it did

if you were getting an AA boost as someone with a 168/3.9 Harvard would be a real possibility, and CCN would be blowing its collective load on you.

see this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=245831

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Depends on what kind of URM, you might get better feedback on that in the URM forum.

http://www.mylsn.info might be somewhat helpful, I dunno.

AlohaFriday

Postby AlohaFriday » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I will sit tight to see if anything new comes up this cycle and consider retaking and/or reapplying. Thanks for all of the input

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 am

I advise reapplying as well, and even retaking if you have the time. You should have gotten way better options, not just acceptances at schools that waitlisted/rejected you but also sizable scholarships.

Specifically speaking, I would have expected you to get into NYU, Penn, and Duke, perhaps Columbia if they don't mind the LSAT, and probably Boalt as long as you have a strong overall application with a good story.

Consider if you did anything badly on your application (personal statement or letters of recommendation?). You have a high GPA, you have a good LSAT, and you're an URM, so presumably you should have gotten better results. But you didn't, so at that point you need to consider the other parts of your application.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:03 am

Yea All Right wrote:I advise reapplying as well, and even retaking if you have the time. You should have gotten way better options, not just acceptances at schools that waitlisted/rejected you but also sizable scholarships.

Specifically speaking, I would have expected you to get into NYU, Penn, and Duke, perhaps Columbia if they don't mind the LSAT, and probably Boalt as long as you have a strong overall application with a good story.

Consider if you did anything badly on your application (personal statement or letters of recommendation?). You have a high GPA, you have a good LSAT, and you're an URM, so presumably you should have gotten better results. But you didn't, so at that point you need to consider the other parts of your application.

I agree with all of this, though it's still unclear if OP is one of NA, AA, MA, or PR. If so, reapply for SURE.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:57 am

Way too many Michigan votes here.
Of the current options, I'd go USC.

Underperforming if you are an actual URM though.

KangarooCourt13

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:50 am

Wait...USC is essentially a full ride?

Dude I would take that. Others are thrown off by this URM stuff...I don't know. At USC you could really be top of your class, if a place like Harvard takes you (as another has suggested) you risk being another body.

That's my two cents.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:52 am

KangarooCourt13 wrote:Wait...USC is essentially a full ride?

Dude I would take that. Others are thrown off by this URM stuff...I don't know. At USC you could really be top of your class, if a place like Harvard takes you (as another has suggested) you risk being another body.

That's my two cents.

This is dumb, keep the change

KangarooCourt13

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 am

BigZuck wrote:

That's my two cents.

Are you this pleasant IRL

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

AlohaFriday wrote:As deadlines approach, I am trying to decide where I should deposit. I have been accepted at Michigan, UCLA, USC, and Georgetown. I am awaiting decisions from Stanford, Columbia, and NYU. Wait listed at Harvard, Penn, and Duke. Rejected at Yale and Boalt. I did not apply to any other schools.

Scholarships/COA:
Michigan: $75,000 total; $142,284 COA
UCLA: $105,500 total; $118,484.98 COA (Will gain CA residency after 1L)
USC: $159,000 total, $92,469 COA
Georgetown: Yet to receive offer

I will be financing my education through loans.

I am from Hawaii, but I am currently an undergraduate in CA. I'd like to work in CA if possible. Not opposed to other markets, but CA is a preference. I would say my ties in the area are average.

I am hopeful for biglaw. Not entirely set on biglaw but definitely private practice. No interest in PI.

LSAT: 168; GPA: 3.9 (URM)

Took LSAT once after 6 months of classes. Was PTing in a wide range of 163-169 range about 1.5 months out. First LSAT was 157 or 159, can't remember.

I'd appreciate any input!

You're getting f'd in the A if you're only getting that as a URM with those numbers.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:58 am

BigZuck wrote:
KangarooCourt13 wrote:At USC you could really be top of your class, if a place like Harvard takes you (as another has suggested) you risk being another body.
That's my two cents.

Yeah Kangaroo, this fallacy has been beaten to death.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:00 pm

KangarooCourt13 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

That's my two cents.

Are you this pleasant IRL

Probably less

It's alarming to me that you would say something like this because people might actually believe it

The OP really could be top of the class at Harvard. Or at USC. Or bottom of the class at Harvard. Or at USC. There is nothing to suggest the OP would do better at one or the other, and even if the OP is likely to do better at USC than at Harvard, I don't think it's near as stark as top of the class vs unwashed masses.

Anyway, to me it's all about average outcomes. If the average outcome at USC is fine for the OP, then fine. But going with the expectation (or whatever it is you're trying to say) that he/she will bink top of the class grades is dumb.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”