UVA$$ vs Chicago$/$$ (new edit)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Virginia vs. Chicago

Chicago (105k)
50%
UVA (135k)
50%

Total votes: 4

Pragmatic Gun

Re: UVA$$ vs Chicago$/$$ (new edit)

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat May 02, 2015 1:57 pm

They're both stupendous schools. Pick whatever will make you happier since their scores are comparable. I would go with the cheaper option, though

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 02, 2015 2:07 pm

You seem to really want to go to UVA. Do it. I think most of your fears about Chicago are unfounded, but UVA is cheaper and you want to be there. Doesn't sound like a hard decision to me.

also, lol @ the idea of a "great firm." They're all full of lawyers.

GenericLawApplicant

Postby GenericLawApplicant » Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:You seem to really want to go to UVA. Do it. I think most of your fears about Chicago are unfounded, but UVA is cheaper and you want to be there. Doesn't sound like a hard decision to me.

Please please cut me slack on the phrase I'm about to use, but since LST homogenizes the BigLaw percentage, does Chicago have a significant advantage in obtaining employment at "elite firms?" (Say V10 just as a frame of reference)

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed May 06, 2015 2:55 pm

GenericLawApplicant wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:You seem to really want to go to UVA. Do it. I think most of your fears about Chicago are unfounded, but UVA is cheaper and you want to be there. Doesn't sound like a hard decision to me.

Please please cut me slack on the phrase I'm about to use, but since LST homogenizes the BigLaw percentage, does Chicago have a significant advantage in obtaining employment at "elite firms?" (Say V10 just as a frame of reference)

The numbers that I've seen tossed around on here indicate that it does. I wouldn't get hung up on it though, personally.

Butter

Postby Butter » Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

You seem to really want to go to UVA instead of Chicago, and I think that, based on the information given, it is fine choice. The COA differential essentially makes it a draw, and the happiness variable is, in my option, sufficient to warrant UVA.

As a more general piece of advice, I would advise against perseverating on small differences in hope of obtaining an optimal outcome. There are likely, as in this case, multiple good outcomes, and perhaps not a clear best one. Obviously one would pick Stanford over UVA in this case, as it is clearly superior. But that is not the set of choices. It is Chicago vs UVA, and I think that each is defensible. Go with your gut and know there is no wrong choice of the two.

GenericLawApplicant

Postby GenericLawApplicant » Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Butter wrote:You seem to really want to go to UVA instead of Chicago, and I think that, based on the information given, it is fine choice. The COA differential essentially makes it a draw, and the happiness variable is, in my option, sufficient to warrant UVA.

As a more general piece of advice, I would advise against perseverating on small differences in hope of obtaining an optimal outcome. There are likely, as in this case, multiple good outcomes, and perhaps not a clear best one. Obviously one would pick Stanford over UVA in this case, as it is clearly superior. But that is not the set of choices. It is Chicago vs UVA, and I think that each is defensible. Go with your gut and know there is no wrong choice of the two.

I think it's good advice. Since this field selects very detailed oriented people, it's easy to hung up on small percentage differentials. Too many unknown variables too. Might really hate biglaw, might not.

GenericLawApplicant

Postby GenericLawApplicant » Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 am

Thank you everyone for your advice!

After much agonizing, I have decided to choose the University of Chicago this fall.

Truly a hard decision, but in the end it was clear.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am

GenericLawApplicant wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice!

After much agonizing, I have decided to choose the University of Chicago this fall.

Truly a hard decision, but in the end it was clear.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=245085

Congrats! decision won't be considered official until you have it posted in the above thread though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”