H vs. Y vs. S vs. Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose? (COA at Repayment)

Yale (COA: $197k)
58%
Harvard (COA: $255k)
11%
Stanford (COA: $199k)
5%
Penn (COA: $84k)
26%

Total votes: 19

Clemenceau

Re: H vs. Y vs. S vs. Penn

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:53 pm

You'd have to take out $84k over three years for Penn? That's just books + living expenses? Seems rather high, especially if you make some money over the summers.

You can easily get away with never paying more than 1k a month for rent in west philly.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Clemenceau wrote:You'd have to take out $84k over three years for Penn? That's just books + living expenses? Seems rather high, especially if you make some money over the summers.

Keep in mind that the OP used a spreadsheet that factors in accumulated interest over time. He would be "taking out" less than $84K, but $84K represents the cost at the time of repayment.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:You'd have to take out $84k over three years for Penn? That's just books + living expenses? Seems rather high, especially if you make some money over the summers.

Keep in mind that the OP used a spreadsheet that factors in accumulated interest over time. He would be "taking out" less than $84K, but $84K represents the cost at the time of repayment.

Fair enough. Trying to wrap my head around how Y and S are only like 100k more than Penn full ride at repayment, but I guess max aid is a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Edit typo

Tasik32

Postby Tasik32 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:40 am

Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Fair enough. Trying to wrap my head around how Y and S are only like 100k more than Penn full ride at repayment, but I guess max aid is a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Edit typo

I believe Penn would likely be under my estimate, especially if I have a 2L SA in biglaw. I suppose it's possible that the summer would go along way in paying for 3L cost of living, etc. I did receive a lot of aid from YS, not so much from Harvard, but that is one reason why the YS numbers are closer to Penn.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 am

I would go to Yale at that cost in a heartbeat. But then, I'm biased because I took out more than what you'd have to take out for Yale and did so to attend a lower T14, and it's worked out fine. So it's very easy for me to say "I'd totally do it again but less money and for Yale!!!"

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 am

If you were 100% bigfed I'd go Y, but 200k is a lot just for big law

Return to “Choosing a Law School”