Importance of Location vs Rank after T14 ???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rosy12

Importance of Location vs Rank after T14 ???

Postby Rosy12 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm deciding between University of Colorado and Lewis and Clark. My question is how important is location vs rank after the T20 or so schools?? I want to practice in Oregon and only Oregon (Would be ok with Washington though)

I have offers from higher ranked schools but graduating without debt is the most important factor for me. GOALS- My dream job would be environmental prosecution at the federal level although I would also love to be a prosecutor for the DA's office or practice environmental law at a small-medium sized firm. I'm not interested in big-law unless it magically fell into my lap or if I graduated with insane amount of debt.

COSTS- Total cost for absolutely everything for 3 years would be $70,000-$75,000 for Lewis and Clark and $120,000 for Colorado, although I'm waiting to hear back on my request for more scholarship. I am not a trust fund baby and will be paying for everything on my own. I will have between $15-$20,000 saved up by the time law school starts so I will be able to pay for some of the schooling right away.

Does it make sense to go all the way to Colorado if I want to practice in Oregon? I have above-average strength ties to Oregon as I did undergrad there and most of my friends and family members live there, but I wonder whether it would be pointless to take an extra $50,000 out in loans and go all the way to Colorado if my end goal is to stay in Oregon. Obviously Colorado is higher ranked and has better job employment stats, but does all that really matter if I want to practice in Oregon where L&C has a good reputation?

UnicornHunter

Re: Importance of Location vs Rank after T14 ???

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm

To answer narrowly, it would definitely be pointless for you to go to Colorado.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Don't go to Colorado.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:21 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:To answer narrowly, it would definitely be pointless for you to go to Colorado.

This. And I don't think that L&C would be a terrible choice in your situation and given your goals.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Lewis and Clark, easy one. You seem to have relatively modest goals and don't want biglaw, so as long as you get a job out of L&C you should be ok. Work hard in law school.

Edit: And to directly answer your question, location is everything after T14. Even the T14 themselves have their own focuses on certain regions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:48 pm

Lewis & Clark is the better option for you since you want to remain in Oregon after law school. Easier to make connections in your targeted region. Try to participate in clinics in your area of interest. Also, I believe that the environmental law journal at Lewis & Clark is the primary law review, whereas it's a secondary law review at Colorado.

Location is much more important than rank outside of the top law schools.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:11 pm

The general law review is always the primary law review.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Colorado is not better than Lewis and Clark. From 20-150 most schools are basically peers.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:10 am

Colorado doesn't make sense for you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”