UW($$$$)vsCLS($$)vsNYU($$)vs...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSATneurotic

Re: UW($$$$)vsCLS($$)vsNYU($$)vs...

Postby LSATneurotic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Rascalnikov wrote:Hi guys. Was pleasantly surprised to receive an invitation to the Yale waitlist today, which makes me even more confused. The UW scholarship does go with a name and a donor (I guess I will meet him/her? It wasn't really clear). I'm trying to get more $ from NYU and CLS. Berk declined to match my NYU offer, so I think I can write them off. I'm really start to think about just trying again next year. Getting this close to YLS and then going to UW, something seems off about that. I'm not sure what to think.

Sure, but Yale would cost more than Columbia, and you could go to Columbia now with a pretty good aid offer. So I'm not sure there are such terrific gains to be made.

+1

Yale's hella overhyped

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:36 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rascalnikov wrote:Hi guys. Was pleasantly surprised to receive an invitation to the Yale waitlist today, which makes me even more confused. The UW scholarship does go with a name and a donor (I guess I will meet him/her? It wasn't really clear). I'm trying to get more $ from NYU and CLS. Berk declined to match my NYU offer, so I think I can write them off. I'm really start to think about just trying again next year. Getting this close to YLS and then going to UW, something seems off about that. I'm not sure what to think.

Sure, but Yale would cost more than Columbia, and you could go to Columbia now with a pretty good aid offer. So I'm not sure there are such terrific gains to be made.

+1

Yale's hella overhyped

not really the point I was making; I think if OP got into Yale they should probably go. I just don't think the choice here is between University of Washington and YLS when you have a half scholarship at CLS on the table.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:04 pm

Rascalnikov wrote:Dilemma I'm struggling with. Would appreciate advice. I'm from Seattle. Family and extensive ties here. Went to undergrad out of state. I'm currently back in Seattle and would love to remain here in the long term. I currently have 74k in debt from undergrad. This should be about 86k after interest compounds over 3 years while I'm in school. My numbers: 177/3.77

Offers:

UW - full ride (including books/fees) plus a 7k/year stipend for living expenses
Berk - Accepted, no word yet on $
Chicago - Waitlist
Mich - Waitlist
Duke - Accepted, no word yet on $
UVA - rejected
Penn - Waitlist
NYU - Accepted with $87.5k
SLS - Rejected
CLS - Accepted with $90k
YLS - no word yet
HLS - rejected

In hindsight I wish I had cast my net a little wider. Anyway, what are your thoughts? I have no interest in PI. I'm attracted to litigation. Would probably pursue a PD job if $ were no object (...it is though). Is UW a reasonable option?

CLS

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:57 pm

I'd go CLS as well

Rascalnikov

Postby Rascalnikov » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Hey guys, a few updates
NYU increased their offer to 100k
Boalt seems to be offering 75k (they were oddly tenuous about this)
Duke says they will send me an offer Monday or Tuesday
Using the COA calculator on here I get debt at repayment:
UW - $45k (this assumes I rent a place, could live at home but for personal reasons I'm not sure how well this would work)
Boalt -$164k
NYU - $174k
CLS - $208k
I got a great feeling about Boalt at ASW and really like the East Bay and have friends nearby, so I'm kind of hoping Berkeley makes financial/career sense (plus my general West Coast preference). That being said, Boalt's employment numbers don't stand up great next to the NYC schools (how much of this could be PI self-selection?). Hoping I can get their offer up, but they didn't want to match NYU at 87.5, so I don't know. Thoughts?

wons

Postby wons » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 am

Boalt is out at that price. NYU/CLS is a pick'em.

Rascalnikov

Postby Rascalnikov » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Boalt upped their offer to $105k. I figure total COA would be ~$140k. If I can earn some $ over the summers/in school and keep down expenses, I think I could keep my total debt under 200. I recognize there is a real difference in the employment #'s but Columbia COA looks to be about ~$210k with my award so I would graduate in the neighborhood of $275. Given my preferences and the $ difference, Boalt seems to me like the choice here, but I thought I would ask for TLS input.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Rascalnikov wrote:Boalt upped their offer to $105k. I figure total COA would be ~$140k. If I can earn some $ over the summers/in school and keep down expenses, I think I could keep my total debt under 200. I recognize there is a real difference in the employment #'s but Columbia COA looks to be about ~$210k with my award so I would graduate in the neighborhood of $275. Given my preferences and the $ difference, Boalt seems to me like the choice here, but I thought I would ask for TLS input.

I think either Boalt or CLS will do. If you have a preference for boalt, go for it. Keep in mind as I said before that $90K from CLS is effectively a half tuition scholarship; you'd graduate with way less than $210K law school debt. I would ballpark you closer to $180-185. I had a smaller scholarship and will graduate in the vicinity of $135-140K. Regardless, both offers are fair.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Rascalnikov wrote:Dilemma I'm struggling with. Would appreciate advice. I'm from Seattle. Family and extensive ties here. Went to undergrad out of state. I'm currently back in Seattle and would love to remain here in the long term. I currently have 74k in debt from undergrad. This should be about 86k after interest compounds over 3 years while I'm in school. My numbers: 177/3.77

LOL at the bolded. Don't go to law school unless it's free.

Why would anyone take out debt for undergrad? And to not major in engineering?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Rascalnikov wrote:Boalt upped their offer to $105k. I figure total COA would be ~$140k. If I can earn some $ over the summers/in school and keep down expenses, I think I could keep my total debt under 200. I recognize there is a real difference in the employment #'s but Columbia COA looks to be about ~$210k with my award so I would graduate in the neighborhood of $275. Given my preferences and the $ difference, Boalt seems to me like the choice here, but I thought I would ask for TLS input.

I think either Boalt or CLS will do. If you have a preference for boalt, go for it. Keep in mind as I said before that $90K from CLS is effectively a half tuition scholarship; you'd graduate with way less than $210K law school debt. I would ballpark you closer to $180-185. I had a smaller scholarship and will graduate in the vicinity of $135-140K. Regardless, both offers are fair.

Only 260-270k total debt! Amazing deal. Sounds like OP should definitely go for it, just like he did with paying for undergrad with loans. Smart decision!!

Keep on giving great advice, 0Ls and law school proles.

Remember guys - biglaw pays that big 160k, so that's at least over half of your total debt load. Fucking amazing.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Only 260-270k total debt! Amazing deal. Sounds like OP should definitely go for it, just like he did with paying for undergrad with loans. Smart decision!!

Keep on giving great advice, 0Ls and law school proles.

Remember guys - biglaw pays that big 160k, so that's at least over half of your total debt load. Fucking amazing.

I agree that OP should get a job and pay off their undergraduate loans, then decide if law school is still the right call.

They seem determined not to do that. And half tuition scholarships to top schools shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

transferror

Postby transferror » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Rascalnikov wrote:Hey guys, a few updates
NYU increased their offer to 100k
Boalt seems to be offering 75k (they were oddly tenuous about this)
Duke says they will send me an offer Monday or Tuesday
Using the COA calculator on here I get debt at repayment:
UW - $45k (this assumes I rent a place, could live at home but for personal reasons I'm not sure how well this would work)
Boalt -$164 updated to ≈ 140k
NYU - $174k
CLS - $208k
I got a great feeling about Boalt at ASW and really like the East Bay and have friends nearby, so I'm kind of hoping Berkeley makes financial/career sense (plus my general West Coast preference). That being said, Boalt's employment numbers don't stand up great next to the NYC schools (how much of this could be PI self-selection?). Hoping I can get their offer up, but they didn't want to match NYU at 87.5, so I don't know. Thoughts?

Based on this, I think it's either Boalt or NYU, and I'd vote Boalt. I'm not sure that making the jump to CCN is worth 35k+, but if it is, there's no reason to pay the extra for Columbia over NYU. OP likes Boalt and it's by far the cheapest T14 option (and at a reasonable price) for someone who wants biglaw.

Enjoy CA

Return to “Choosing a Law School”