UChicago...Car?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cilia

UChicago...Car?

Postby Cilia » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm currently deciding between law schools, but (unfortunately) I didn't get the chance to go see UChicago's campus. Would students there say it's necessary to have a car in the city or is public transportation reliable enough that people can manage without one? Right now I go to school in DC, and the metro system is pretty extensive, and having a car seemed like more of a hassle than anything. As a result, I'm now carless. Will this be a problem if I go to Chicago? Should I look into getting a cheap vehicle?

WhiteyCakes

Re: UChicago...Car?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Don't need a car. Chicago public transit generally is the best I have seen in any major American city

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Seconding above poster. It's really nice - like NYC without constant breakdowns.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Don't need a car. Chicago public transit generally is the best I have seen in any major American city

U of C is sorta isolated amongst a sea of ghettos and it's not incredibly well served by the CTA. The campus itself (I think) is extremely walk friendly. But to get to the north side for a night out could take like an hour if the timing is poor. Getting downtown during the day is easier if you take the metra electric.

I wouldn't get a car, but you'll probably be taking some sorta expensive ubers.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 pm

cost me like thirty bucks to get from hyde park to downtown in the few times I've done it.

Kobaine51

Postby Kobaine51 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Getting downtown during the day - late evening is easy and pretty quick. You can take the 6 Bus or Metra or the 55 Bus to the Red Line. Getting back before 11:30 is equally easy. Later than that you can still do Red Line-55 but that will for sure suck and you'll prolly take Ubers if you don't have a car. That said, if you are coming back into HP after midnight you probably won't want to be driving most of the time anyway.

In general, access to most of the city off the L is pretty easy without a car, that's a large portion of the city but not ALL the city, and the parts that aren't well served are very annoying to get to without a car. Pilsen and Devon are both tricky to get to. For me, I would have liked a car when I lived in HP, but it wasn't too bad to get around without one.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 pm

It's definitely not necessary, but it'd be pretty convenient if you can swing parking.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:cost me like thirty bucks to get from hyde park to downtown in the few times I've done it.

Then you were doing something very wrong.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:cost me like thirty bucks to get from hyde park to downtown in the few times I've done it.

idk it took like half an hour

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

idk it took like half an hour

I'm not sure what that has to do with the insane amount of money you spent.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 am

That's how much it costs to take an uber for half an hour

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:29 am

Again though that's unresponsive to my point: that you spent a stupid amount of money unnecessarily.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:55 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:Don't need a car. Chicago public transit generally is the best I have seen in any major American city

Thanks!

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 am

Kobaine51 wrote:Getting downtown during the day - late evening is easy and pretty quick. You can take the 6 Bus or Metra or the 55 Bus to the Red Line. Getting back before 11:30 is equally easy. Later than that you can still do Red Line-55 but that will for sure suck and you'll prolly take Ubers if you don't have a car. That said, if you are coming back into HP after midnight you probably won't want to be driving most of the time anyway.

In general, access to most of the city off the L is pretty easy without a car, that's a large portion of the city but not ALL the city, and the parts that aren't well served are very annoying to get to without a car. Pilsen and Devon are both tricky to get to. For me, I would have liked a car when I lived in HP, but it wasn't too bad to get around without one.

Okay. I'm thinking maybe I'll try it out for the first year and see how it goes. Thanks!

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:24 am

I had one first year and ended up getting rid of it for cost reasons 2nd and 3rd years. I've gotten along fine but there are times where I wish I had it, mostly for groceries and various shopping excursions. Assuming you live in one of the 3-4 buildings where everyone lives 1L year you will rarely use it, the intra-Hyde Park route is fine.

An über from HP to downtown is only like $18 btw and it would be rare for you to need to take one by yourself.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:12 pm

2014 wrote:I had one first year and ended up getting rid of it for cost reasons 2nd and 3rd years. I've gotten along fine but there are times where I wish I had it, mostly for groceries and various shopping excursions. Assuming you live in one of the 3-4 buildings where everyone lives 1L year you will rarely use it, the intra-Hyde Park route is fine.

An über from HP to downtown is only like $18 btw and it would be rare for you to need to take one by yourself.

Yeah it would be Hyde Park..thanks!

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:09 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Again though that's unresponsive to my point: that you spent a stupid amount of money unnecessarily.

Lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”