BU vs UMiami (vs Fordham)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU or UMiami

BU 90k COA
40%
UMiami 50k COA
50%
Fordham 140k COA
10%

Total votes: 10

Hispaniclaw

BU vs UMiami (vs Fordham)

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm

BU: COA would be around 90k. I visited and really liked the city, the new building and renovations are very nice, and got a good vibe from the people.

UMiami: COA would be around 30k. I am currently living in Miami so there would be no trouble relocating if I just stay here. Graduating (almost) debt free sounds very nice right now and if I stay in Miami after school, it seems like the school has a decent reputation down here.

Fordham: They only offered me 45k so COA would be tuition, COL, etc. minus 45k. I visited this morning and the building is hideous inside. I don't care about aesthetics obviously, but it was pretty hard to ignore how shitty everything seemed. I'm only keeping this as an option for a bit longer because of the prospects of living and building a network in NYC.

I want to be a lawyer and live comfortably right after I graduate. I don't really care where I live/practice, as long as it's in a city of decent size. If I had to choose between Boston, Miami, or NYC, I would live in the one where the highest salary is being offered. BigLaw sounds nice and it would be hard to turn it down if I'm given the opportunity, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. If there is any more info needed to know so you guys can help me choose, please just let me know.

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Hispaniclaw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Re: BU vs UMiami (vs Fordham)

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Sounds like you want biglaw. These schools aren't likely to get you there. Also, about your highest salary thing. NYC pays more than Miami (or I'm guessing) but COL difference would probably give you more buying power in Miami. You should be considering that, and not just highest salary if money is super important to you.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Winston1984 wrote:The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Sounds like you want biglaw. These schools aren't likely to get you there. Also, about your highest salary thing. NYC pays more than Miami (or I'm guessing) but COL difference would probably give you more buying power in Miami. You should be considering that, and not just highest salary if money is super important to you.

Thank you! The COAs I posted above already have those factors included. I will be financing COA with loans.

I don't have any significant ties anywhere lol.

I'm not retaking the LSAT but my current score did get me waitlisted at some t14 and t20. I would probably not go though since they'd be at sticker.

Thanks for the tip on the salary thing. I meant "highest salary" including those factors already.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Miami sounds like the only one that makes any sense, but you'd have to be ok with modest outcomes. Small firms, local government type jobs making something like 40K starting out. If that works for you then go for it.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:Miami sounds like the only one that makes any sense, but you'd have to be ok with modest outcomes. Small firms, local government type jobs making something like 40K starting out. If that works for you then go for it.

Thank you! Do you mind sharing why you think BU at that price wouldn't make any sense?

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Miami sounds like the right call here.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 pm

LawBron James wrote:Miami sounds like the right call here.

BU wouldn't be worth the risk?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Hispaniclaw wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Miami sounds like the only one that makes any sense, but you'd have to be ok with modest outcomes. Small firms, local government type jobs making something like 40K starting out. If that works for you then go for it.

Thank you! Do you mind sharing why you think BU at that price wouldn't make any sense?

Sounded like you've only been to Boston once in your life and the chances of getting big law there are way stacked against you so you'll be left to hustle for lowish paying jobs in a city you don't really have ties to, or you'll try and take a BU degree to another market where it's not all that well respected. It's a non-starter IMO.

tonysoprano

Postby tonysoprano » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I say Miami (I'm currently living here, too).

Going off you're username here, do you speak Spanish? Might be helpful getting jobs around here. Also, I've heard from a few lawyers in big firms here (anecdotal, I know, but hopefully it's still worth hearing) that having ties to the area can really help when it comes to hiring. I know you said you don't have any but the fact that you're currently living here means you do; having no ties would be trying to come here from somewhere else in addition to not knowing anyone. They want to know that employees aren't just trying to get a job in Miami because it's Miami. Just something to think about. That being said, if you want biglaw in Miami from Miami, you better be prepared to do whatever it takes to be in the top of your class (sorry if that came off patronizing; I just feel like it has to be said)

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:10 pm

tonysoprano wrote:I say Miami (I'm currently living here, too).

Going off you're username here, do you speak Spanish? Might be helpful getting jobs around here. Also, I've heard from a few lawyers in big firms here (anecdotal, I know, but hopefully it's still worth hearing) that having ties to the area can really help when it comes to hiring. I know you said you don't have any but the fact that you're currently living here means you do; having no ties would be trying to come here from somewhere else in addition to not knowing anyone. They want to know that employees aren't just trying to get a job in Miami because it's Miami. Just something to think about. That being said, if you want biglaw in Miami from Miami, you better be prepared to do whatever it takes to be in the top of your class (sorry if that came off patronizing; I just feel like it has to be said)

Thank you! I see what you guys mean now about "ties." I thought it meant like an actual network or someone who'd help me find a job after LS. I do have some family in Miami. Yes, I do speak Spanish and French. Biglaw in Miami sounds great; 10% from UM means it's feasible and I'd definitely be ready to do whatever it takes to get it. The problem is that I'd also be willing to do whatever it takes to do well at BU, and their biglaw number is much better.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Hispaniclaw wrote:

Sounded like you've only been to Boston once in your life and the chances of getting big law there are way stacked against you so you'll be left to hustle for lowish paying jobs in a city you don't really have ties to, or you'll try and take a BU degree to another market where it's not all that well respected. It's a non-starter IMO.

I was ready to send in my deposit to BU tomorrow morning but the statement in bold (and the current consensus in this thread) really got me worried. I was under the impression that even if I didn't get biglaw from BU, I'd still have a pretty good chance of getting a job that's much better than what I'd get if I didn't strike biglaw at UMiami.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Hispaniclaw wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Hispaniclaw wrote:

I was ready to send in my deposit to BU tomorrow morning but the statement in bold (and the current consensus in this thread) really got me worried. I was under the impression that even if I didn't get biglaw from BU, I'd still have a pretty good chance of getting a job that's much better than what I'd get if I didn't strike biglaw at UMiami.

What is that impression based on?

Regarding big law at Miami- that's also a really remote possibility. Especially if you're not Florida (or maybe even Miami) born and raised. I would put that possibility out of your mind, it's really not all that feasible.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Hispaniclaw wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

What is that impression based on?

Regarding big law at Miami- that's also a really remote possibility. Especially if you're not Florida (or maybe even Miami) born and raised. I would put that possibility out of your mind, it's really not all that feasible.

I looked at the percentage of people at BU who work at firms with 11+ attorneys. I assumed these people would be making a decent salary at least.

Putting the possibility of biglaw out of the question for both BU and UMiami, I figured BU would give me a better chance of a decent job (60k or more).

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 pm

I made a poll and added revised COA numbers.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 pm

I would go to BU honestly. BU shot up to #26 and there's been a lot of discussion about BU vs. BC on here and I think it's finally clear that BC got stymied with the BU haymaker and will need about five years to get its bearings in order, and I always thought BC was the superior school.

Could be wrong, but the way I see it- BU= probably $50-60k job would be the normal outcome.
Miami= underemployed or $35-40k job would be the normal outcome

T30 vs. T2, bro. Man vs. wolf! 8)

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 am

DaRascal wrote:I would go to BU honestly. BU shot up to #26 and there's been a lot of discussion about BU vs. BC on here and I think it's finally clear that BC got stymied with the BU haymaker and will need about five years to get its bearings in order, and I always thought BC was the superior school.

Could be wrong, but the way I see it- BU= probably $50-60k job would be the normal outcome.

thank you for the reply!

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 am

Hey everyone, I'll be sending in my deposit today. I'd appreciate any other opinions on BU vs UMiami.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 am

Hispaniclaw wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I would go to BU honestly. BU shot up to #26 and there's been a lot of discussion about BU vs. BC on here and I think it's finally clear that BC got stymied with the BU haymaker and will need about five years to get its bearings in order, and I always thought BC was the superior school.

thank you for the reply!

That wasn't an honest reply, he's a joke account

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:45 am

This is where Da Rascal's thing stops being funny and may actually mess up someone's career/life choices.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”