(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adil91

Re: GW vs Emory

Postby adil91 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:22 pm

[/quote]

Yeah, I just don't agree. My sister-in-law is partnered at a big law firm in ATL and she prefers hiring from GA State for the same reasons I already mentioned. The transplants down here are all government, gov support, engineering, and manufacturing. Having lived the cliqueiness in law circles for many years, there is no transplant effect happening there. The bottom line is that if you don't have significant ties here, you're going to have a very, very tough time getting employed.[/quote]

Would having lived in Atlanta for over a decade, going to middle school,high school, and college in Georgia plus going to Vanderbilt(a great regional school) be a significant plus or would going to a school like Emory signify a greater desire to stay in Atlanta?

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:17 pm

adil91 wrote:
Would having lived in Atlanta for over a decade, going to middle school,high school, and college in Georgia plus going to Vanderbilt(a great regional school) be a significant plus or would going to a school like Emory signify a greater desire to stay in Atlanta?

If you plan to stay in the South, I don't think there's much of a difference between the regional flagships. Within Alabama though, I will say that firms are packed full of Bama and Cumberland grads with a sprinkling of other southern-ish schools in there like UVA, Duke, etc. I know the Alabama AGs office likes to pull from HYS, so there are some HYS people there who obviously lacked better prospects. Within GA I have actually heard from my sister-in-law that they view UGA grads as about on-par with Emory grads and GA State just slightly behind. So I mean I would keep that in mind if you're looking to work in ATL, but I would think that you'd be competitive coming from Vanderbilt.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 pm

owenforestry wrote:okay guys tnx alot for the response. law doggy can u clearify what is international law program and what kind of job does that entail. because my friend who graduated from gtown and is now employed in hk says that these international law programs doesn't matter and if i am going to work in asia, my chances from emory or gw are almost the same. i am not sure if doing merge and acqusition in hk is the type of international law that you are refering to.

for me it doen'st have to be big law. as long as the job is not doing traffic tickets and doc review, it's going to be acceptable for me.

Sent you a PM.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”