Need some help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aftermath

Need some help

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:42 pm

I've narrowed my choices to three schools: Tennessee, Emory, and Georgetown. Unfortunately, I submitted my Georgetown app late so I'm still waiting on a decision. The deposit deadline for both Tennessee and Emory are April 15. What should I do?

For reference, my numbers are 167 (third try) and 3.7.
COA according to LST:
Tennessee - $71,832
Emory - $130,646
Georgetown - undetermined

My goals are to clerk and then work in government, preferably in TN.

hearsay77

Re: Need some help

Postby hearsay77 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Did you apply to Vandy?

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Did you apply to Vandy?

Yes. Received $25k from them. I went to their admitted students day and just really didn't like it. That, combined with how much more expensive it would be, turned me off to them.

Edit: $25k per year

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Emory is out based on goals/cost. I feel like you should have a better deal at UTK..

What didn't you like about Vandy? I can understand the cost issue, but it is much better for your goals.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:18 pm

What do you mean by clerk? State court clerkship?

And what do you mean by government? State government?

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Emory is out based on goals/cost. I feel like you should have a better deal at UTK..

What didn't you like about Vandy? I can understand the cost issue, but it is much better for your goals.

Well the UTK scholarship is $21,000 a year which is about $2,000 more than full tuition. Vandy seemed cutthroat and snobby to me. I understand it's a prestigious school, but I didn't get that feel from Georgetown at all. Plus the possibility of nearly $200k in debt without much in the way of an LRAP is frankly terrifying.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:What do you mean by clerk? State court clerkship?

And what do you mean by government? State government?

Fed if I can get it. State if I can't.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Aftermath wrote:Fed if I can get it. State if I can't.

Retake/reapply

These schools aren't worth it for those goals and/or at those costs.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Emory is out based on goals/cost. I feel like you should have a better deal at UTK..

Is there a number that would put Emory back in play? I haven't negotiated yet.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Retake/reapply

Already used up my retakes. Went from 158 to 167.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Aftermath wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Retake/reapply

Then wait until you can take it again? Don't go?

I mean, UTK is probably fine with modest goals but a federal clerkship is like the opposite of a modest goal. The chances of that happening there (most anywhere really) are very, very, very slim.

I don't know what state government hiring is like in TN specifically but if you want to work at a DAs office or maybe like working child support cases with the AG's office or something for 40K a year it's probably an ok option.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Aftermath wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Retake/reapply

Then wait until you can take it again? Don't go?

I mean, UTK is probably fine with modest goals but a federal clerkship is like the opposite of a modest goal. The chances of that happening there (most anywhere really) are very, very, very slim.

I don't know what state government hiring is like in TN specifically but if you want to work at a DAs office or maybe like working child support cases with the AG's office or something for 40K a year it's probably an ok option.

What about a state clerkship? I don't need a federal clerkship, I was just pointing out that I'd go for that over state. I recognize that it's an unlikely outcome.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:42 pm

State clerkships probably aren't particularly hard to get from state flagships, especially if it's an intermediate court of appeals or something as opposed to the state supreme court (of course that assumes those courts hire clerks, I really have no idea what the state clerkship hiring is like in TN). From what I have seen those types of jobs are usually a fallback if you can't get anything better but I could see some value for someone that really wants to do gov in that state forever and ever.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Aftermath wrote:

I don't think Emory makes sense unless it's cheaper than UTK to be honest. I would be surprised to learn that an Emory grad would have an easier time getting hired over a Tennessee grad.

I agree that Vandy is too expensive if it's going to be $200,000. I also agree with Zuck about your goals/current options. You definitely need to be willing to go to UTK with the idea of small firm/local government is an okay outcome. If you aren't okay with that, you shouldn't go.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
Aftermath wrote:

I don't think Emory makes sense unless it's cheaper than UTK to be honest. I would be surprised to learn that an Emory grad would have an easier time getting hired over a Tennessee grad.

I agree that Vandy is too expensive if it's going to be $200,000. I also agree with Zuck about your goals/current options. You definitely need to be willing to go to UTK with the idea of small firm/local government is an okay outcome. If you aren't okay with that, you shouldn't go.

Interesting. I would think there'd be some sort of prestige boost from Emory. I've been viewing them as somewhat of an intermediate option, more prestigious than Tennessee but less than Georgetown. Honestly, I'm not terribly picky about outcome. This may sound idealistic, but my main concern is feeling like I'm making a difference.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Those are terrible reasons not to go to Vandy. The school is best for your goals

Return to “Choosing a Law School”