UC Irvine vs. UC Davis Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

UCI
18%
Davis
82%

Total votes: 33

laub

New

UC Irvine vs. UC Davis

Post by laub » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by laub on Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: UC Irvine vs. UC Davis

Post by Rigo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Go to Davis. Irvine isn't worth that extra cost since you don't want SoCal.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:14 am

Family law is pretty much always small firm work.

Full ride at Davis is just about as well as you can do if you want to do family law in the Central Valley IMO. I'm not super convinced that you know what family law entails though just based on what you said but I could be wrong.

I know that being open sounds good but at the types of schools you're talking about being open isn't great because these schools don't open a whole lot of doors. And in many ways they close more doors than they open- you'll be less employable if you try to get a non-legal job and there is a good chance you won't be able to get a legal job. Instead of being open, I think it can be a good idea to be focused on exactly what kind of job you want so that you can start working toward that from day one. If other doors happen to open, great, but at least you've put yourself in the best position possible to be employed as a lawyer.

Any way we can convince you to wait to enroll in law school for a few years? You can't even legally drink yet.

laub

New

Post by laub » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 am

Deleted.
Last edited by laub on Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:07 am

You know, I rolled in here all ready to tell you to retake and whatnot...

But honestly, just go to Davis. It sounds like you have a close to full ride, and UCI isn't worth $130k. Despite being super young, you've got experience in the field and it sounds like you know what you want to do. Godspeed, I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:08 am

Rigo wrote:Go to Davis. Irvine isn't worth that extra cost since you don't want SoCal.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:42 am

UC Davis and it's not close.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:39 am

Is that a full ride? Negotiate and see if you can get more. 77k seems like a lot for COL. Surely you must have some acceptance and offers from some schools in the 20s that you can use as negotiation fodder.

Davis by a landslide.

UCDAVISSTUDENT

New

Post by UCDAVISSTUDENT » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:05 pm

I thought this was pretty misleading on Irvine's part:

"Our students have qualifications similar to those of students at top 20 law schools."
http://www.law.uci.edu/about/

This year UC Irvine students have lower median LSAT scores and GPAs than any school in the top 20. They also have a lower median GPA than any school in the top 30 and only beat Iowa and ASU for the lowest LSAT in the top 30.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... i=1#gid=10

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:25 pm

thank god a seven month old thread was bumped for that info. Who knows what school OP would have attended otherwise!!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:37 pm

UCDAVISSTUDENT wrote:I thought this was pretty misleading on Irvine's part:

"Our students have qualifications similar to those of students at top 20 law schools."

This year UC Irvine students have lower median LSAT scores and GPAs than any school in the top 20. They also have a lower median GPA than any school in the top 30 and only beat Iowa and ASU for the lowest LSAT in the top 30.

Employment stats, bruh. Even if they drop, the stats were relevant for the calculation of that ranking.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:37 pm

xael wrote:thank god a seven month old thread was bumped for that info. Who knows what school OP would have attended otherwise!!
Also, this.

UCDAVISSTUDENT

New

Post by UCDAVISSTUDENT » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
UCDAVISSTUDENT wrote:I thought this was pretty misleading on Irvine's part:

Employment stats, bruh. Even if they drop, the stats were relevant for the calculation of that ranking.
I believe that the above was a reference to their student's GPAs and LSATs because that is the only information that the page contains.

Folks considering Irvine should carefully analyze whatever the school tells them, especially given claims like the one above, in addition to their Dean's failed top-20 debut promise.

This year they increased their class size from 89 to 123, while decreasing their LSAT score by two points. Thank god we have another mediocre law school in California, I sincerely hope they can find jobs for all those people, and are not just cashing in.

I don't think many would predict they will stay in the top thirty in the next rankings, especially because their expenditures per student are also likely on the decline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”