Job outlook for Chicago Kent Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawbound22

New

Job outlook for Chicago Kent

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am currently about to graduate from a private liberal arts school in May with a 3.8 GPA. I was a member of the Honors Program, two honor societies, and won a few awards in my time there. I will be taking a year off to take an LSAT prep course and the LSAT. I know there are better schools out there than Kent, but I really want to go to law school in Chicago and Northwestern and University of Chicago are too prestigious for me.

Can anyone offer some feedback on the job outlook coming out of Kent? I am sure I can make a great career without going to a top law school, but would like some reassurance. I am thinking of getting into labor and employment law. Any feedback is appreciated.

Manteca

Silver

Re: Job outlook for Chicago Kent

Post by Manteca » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:35 pm

lawbound22 wrote:Hello everyone, I am currently about to graduate from a private liberal arts school in May with a 3.8 GPA. I was a member of the Honors Program, two honor societies, and won a few awards in my time there. I will be taking a year off to take an LSAT prep course and the LSAT. I know there are better schools out there than Kent, but I really want to go to law school in Chicago and Northwestern and University of Chicago are too prestigious for me.

Can anyone offer some feedback on the job outlook coming out of Kent? I am sure I can make a great career without going to a top law school, but would like some reassurance. I am thinking of getting into labor and employment law. Any feedback is appreciated.
With your GPA, get a high LSAT score and you're set for life. Prestige shouldn't be a factor; getting a job should be the only thing that matters, and Kent only gives you a coin flip chance at that.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:38 pm

lawbound22 wrote:Hello everyone, I am currently about to graduate from a private liberal arts school in May with a 3.8 GPA. I was a member of the Honors Program, two honor societies, and won a few awards in my time there. I will be taking a year off to take an LSAT prep course and the LSAT. I know there are better schools out there than Kent, but I really want to go to law school in Chicago and Northwestern and University of Chicago are too prestigious for me.

no they're not.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

What do you mean by "too prestigious" ?

Kent's job placement statistics are poor.

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:41 pm

"Too prestigious" meaning that I think there is a very slim chance I could get in lol. Northwestern especially since I don't have the work experience they typically have, but University of Chicago seems like a long shot. I want to stay in Chicago though, so I'm thinking Kent is my number one option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:45 pm

The LSAT will decide your destination more than any other single factor & more than all other factors combined. Therefore, without an LSAT score, it's too early to rule out any law school for one graduating with a 3.8 GPA.

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Thank you for your feedback! I'm hoping I can do well since the LSAT will be all I'm focusing on at that time. Maybe University of Chicago will still be an option.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Kill the LSAT and polish the hell out of your resume and PS. There is no good reason why you should be setting your sights (and by extension, your likely future employability and earnings) so low at this point.

arturobelano

New

Post by arturobelano » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 pm

If you're taking a year off, won't you have WE? I don't get it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Flokkness wrote:Kill the LSAT and polish the hell out of your resume and PS. There is no good reason why you should be setting your sights (and by extension, your likely future employability and earnings) so low at this point.

Great. Thank you! I guess I hadn't thought enough of the possibility of University of Chicago.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:41 pm

lawbound22 wrote:
Flokkness wrote:Kill the LSAT and polish the hell out of your resume and PS. There is no good reason why you should be setting your sights (and by extension, your likely future employability and earnings) so low at this point.

Great. Thank you! I guess I hadn't thought enough of the possibility of University of Chicago.
With a year to study, write statements, schmooze your way to snazzy LORs, and finesse your resume? Sky is literally the limit bro.

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:

no they're not.
That's encouraging! Thank you.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 pm

What do u mean by too prestigious for you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:What do u mean by too prestigious for you
I was originally thinking they would be too difficult for me to get into, but that's hard to say without having taken the LSAT yet. I'm confident I could get into Kent, but not Northwestern or Chicago. But again, that all comes down to my LSAT.

Jakobe

New

Post by Jakobe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:25 pm

I had a very similar GPA and also thought that Uchicago was too prestigious, but then I realized the LSAT isn't really that hard if you put your mind to it and now I'm an accepted student at Uchicago.

However, it might still be too expensive for me :lol:

So start studying and you can get in there.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:31 pm

I also think it's very helpful to make sure you lose the "they're too prestigious for me" attitude while studying for the LSAT. Everyone's goal really should be to get 180 or as close to it as possible. You've got a great GPA, and with hard work and focus I'm sure you can get a score that can get you into some really great schools, NU and UChi included. I think if you have an attitude that those schools are out of reach because you'll never be able to score high enough on the LSAT to get into them, then you're going to be more comfortable skipping practice tests or not taking LSAT study seriously, because you're just aiming for a score that's more in line for Kent. But if you recognize your potential for getting a great score (which I am sure you can), then you won't settle for anything less than your best. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Jakobe wrote:I had a very similar GPA and also thought that Uchicago was too prestigious, but then I realized the LSAT isn't really that hard if you put your mind to it and now I'm an accepted student at Uchicago.

However, it might still be too expensive for me :lol:

So start studying and you can get in there.

Wow! Congratulations :D That's incredible! Although the money is a whole other worry in itself. But you've given me some hope and motivation. I'm going to work like crazy to kill the LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:40 pm

moonman157 wrote:I also think it's very helpful to make sure you lose the "they're too prestigious for me" attitude while studying for the LSAT. Everyone's goal really should be to get 180 or as close to it as possible. You've got a great GPA, and with hard work and focus I'm sure you can get a score that can get you into some really great schools, NU and UChi included. I think if you have an attitude that those schools are out of reach because you'll never be able to score high enough on the LSAT to get into them, then you're going to be more comfortable skipping practice tests or not taking LSAT study seriously, because you're just aiming for a score that's more in line for Kent. But if you recognize your potential for getting a great score (which I am sure you can), then you won't settle for anything less than your best. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!
I think you're absolutely right. My attitude is already beginning to change and I'll definitely keep what you said in mind. Thank you for that, it's exactly what I needed to hear.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Coin-flip that you even get a job as an attorney. KenTTT is a straight dumpster fire.

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Julien_Benda wrote:Coin-flip that you even get a job as an attorney. KenTTT is a straight dumpster fire.
Lol thanks. Sounds like everyone is against Kent, so I'm hoping I can get in somewhere better.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Julien_Benda wrote:Coin-flip that you even get a job as an attorney. KenTTT is a straight dumpster fire.
Ayup. Steer clear OP. You've gotten good advice here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:20 pm

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
Ayup. Steer clear OP. You've gotten good advice here.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

lawbound22

New

Post by lawbound22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

sublime wrote:UIUC for free would be better than Kent.

But yea, you really should be shooting for Northwestern or UChi
I will be from here on out. Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”