LSU vs Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bluecircle9

LSU vs Tulane

Postby bluecircle9 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:08 pm

I have a 3.6 and a 169 on the LSAT. I thought I was all set to go to LSU but then Tulane offered me just enough scholarship money to make me reconsider:

Tulane
Cost of attendance: Tuition & fees: $51,130 + COL $22,304 = $73,434/year
Scholarship: $45,000/year
TOTAL: $28,434/year or $85,304 for all three years

LSU
Cost of Attendance: $39,880.75/year
Tuition: $19,750/year
Total: $20,130/year or $60,390 for all three years

No matter what I'm financing all of this with loans. So basically I'm trying to figure out of the extra $8000 a year is worth it to go to Tulane. The practical side of me says go to LSU and save money, but I would really love to live in New Orleans when I graduate so Tulane might be worth it if it would give me an advantage at getting a job there

zombie mcavoy

Re: LSU vs Tulane

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 pm

bluecircle9 wrote:I have a 3.6 and a 169 on the LSAT. I thought I was all set to go to LSU but then Tulane offered me just enough scholarship money to make me reconsider:

Tulane
Cost of attendance: Tuition & fees: $51,130 + COL $22,304 = $73,434/year
Scholarship: $45,000/year
TOTAL: $28,434/year or $85,304 for all three years

LSU
Cost of Attendance: $39,880.75/year
Tuition: $19,750/year
Total: $20,130/year or $60,390 for all three years

No matter what I'm financing all of this with loans. So basically I'm trying to figure out of the extra $8000 a year is worth it to go to Tulane. The practical side of me says go to LSU and save money, but I would really love to live in New Orleans when I graduate so Tulane might be worth it if it would give me an advantage at getting a job there

You need to give us more information (see the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING thread in this forum), but Tulane has no excuse not to give you a fully here. As a LA outsider, Tulane has inexplicably awful employment stats. I would be hesitant to take that much debt for a coin flip's chance at a job as an attorney. But if they make it the price the same as LSU, then I suppose its a judgment call.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Tulane/Loyola owns nola. LSU owns the rest of the state. I would say Tulane is worth 24k extra in this instance

adil91

Postby adil91 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Why not have Vanderbilt or Texas as an option here? They place decently in NO and give you a higher chance of legal employability otherwise

bluecircle9

Postby bluecircle9 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:34 pm

adil91 wrote:Why not have Vanderbilt or Texas as an option here? They place decently in NO and give you a higher chance of legal employability otherwise

I didn't think I would get decent enough scholarships there so I didn't apply. And honestly, I don't really want to be out of state right now because I have family that isn't doing well health wise.

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Wait and reapply. Your numbers are way better than these outcomes.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:35 pm

UOI4430 wrote:Wait and reapply. Your numbers are way better than these outcomes.

god here come the TLS drones. he just said his family is sick and he doesn't want to leave

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:39 pm

starry eyed wrote:
UOI4430 wrote:Wait and reapply. Your numbers are way better than these outcomes.

god here come the TLS drones. he just said his family is sick and he doesn't want to leave

T14>>>>>>>>family obvs.

Anyways, LSU has to be the choice. New Orleans will be a bit harder, but you have a much better chance of getting a job period

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:10 pm

starry eyed wrote:

I never said he had to leave the state. He can use offers from these schools to leverage full scholarships at Tulane and LSU.

Bubbles1012

Postby Bubbles1012 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Are you positive you want to work in NOLA? If so tulane is the clear choice. If you think you might want to be anywhere else in the state after graduation then LSU is the clear choice. I'm facing a similar dilemma myself.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:41 pm

UOI4430 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:

I never said he had to leave the state. He can use offers from these schools to leverage full scholarships at Tulane and LSU.

oh ok my bad

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Bubbles1012 wrote:Are you positive you want to work in NOLA? If so tulane is the clear choice. If you think you might want to be anywhere else in the state after graduation then LSU is the clear choice. I'm facing a similar dilemma myself.

i think we should probably give more credit to tulane as a lot of its grads leave the state after graduation due to its 'portability' -plus most of the class is not even from LA in the first place. Had these Tulane grads actually looked for jobs in Baton rouge, shreveport, etc. i don't think we would be saying LSU owns the state.

Tulane suffers of the ol' WUSTL syndrome due to its perceived national prestige and lack of home market.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:01 am

UOI4430 wrote:
starry eyed wrote:

It looks like he has a full scholly from LSU, no?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 am

If the family is that much of a reason to stay in state then I think I would just choose whichever is closer to them

bluecircle9

Postby bluecircle9 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am

It's literally a half hour (max) difference. It's not that I need to be there every second. I just don't want to be halfway across the country when things go bad.

It looks like he has a full scholly from LSU, no?

Yep I do. I on the LSU website it said tuition was just over 20000 for the 14/15 school year but when LSU called me to tell me that I was accepted that said that the $19750 that I was offered is full tuition for next year. I'll probably try to negotiate more from tulane and if that fails, go to LSU. I'm going to have to use loans to bankroll most/all of my legal education and I just looked up the estimated monthy payments for the debt I'd incur at LSU vs Tulane and it goes from high, but manageable to better hope I'm making bank real fast.

Chris70123

Postby Chris70123 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 am

I chose Tulane, it was a toughy, but I won't be incurring any debt either way, so I'm rather content. :)

Monster1776

Postby Monster1776 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:39 am

Chris70123 wrote:I chose Tulane, it was a toughy, but I won't be incurring any debt either way, so I'm rather content. :)

Mind me asking what made you decide on Tulane?

Chris70123

Postby Chris70123 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 pm

A couple points,

LSU is currently in the throws of a large budget battle, it already places 48th in the nation in regards to per student spending and any cut would probably drop it down to last. The reintegration of the Paul Hebert Law Center with the rest of campus concerned me greatly. It most likely won't impact much, but it could definitely lead to loss of programs and classes (Not a sure thing, but a very plausible reality)

Being from New Orleans definitely helped, I have been at LSU for 4 years, and can say that Baton Rouge does have great qualities, but in Louisiana, New Orleans can't be beat.

People have, and will continue to rightly hate on Tulane's abysmal employment numbers. But they cut class size from 250+ down to 185, they have consistently placed about the same number of individuals in firm work, so logically speaking the percentages should increase pretty substantially.

Again, had it come down to me taking out debt, I would probably advise someone to give LSU a go. It's a fantastic school with great people, but Tulane (In my opinion) shares these qualities and more.

What made it more of a definite is the feeling that eventually I'm going to leave Louisiana, and Tulane just offers you a lot more opportunities than LSU ever would especially in that regard.

Feel free to disagree, this is just all IMO

Best of luck in your decision making process! Just know that with determination and grit, you'll do well at either of these schools.

Monster1776

Postby Monster1776 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Chris70123 wrote:A couple points,

LSU is currently in the throws of a large budget battle, it already places 48th in the nation in regards to per student spending and any cut would probably drop it down to last. The reintegration of the Paul Hebert Law Center with the rest of campus concerned me greatly. It most likely won't impact much, but it could definitely lead to loss of programs and classes (Not a sure thing, but a very plausible reality)

Being from New Orleans definitely helped, I have been at LSU for 4 years, and can say that Baton Rouge does have great qualities, but in Louisiana, New Orleans can't be beat.

People have, and will continue to rightly hate on Tulane's abysmal employment numbers. But they cut class size from 250+ down to 185, they have consistently placed about the same number of individuals in firm work, so logically speaking the percentages should increase pretty substantially.

Again, had it come down to me taking out debt, I would probably advise someone to give LSU a go. It's a fantastic school with great people, but Tulane (In my opinion) shares these qualities and more.

What made it more of a definite is the feeling that eventually I'm going to leave Louisiana, and Tulane just offers you a lot more opportunities than LSU ever would especially in that regard.

Feel free to disagree, this is just all IMO

Best of luck in your decision making process! Just know that with determination and grit, you'll do well at either of these schools.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Not looking at LSU, just trying to convince myself on how nice it would be to go to Tulane. Currently stuck on OU due to family/Oklahoma being where I'd most likely get a job after I graduate. My other consideration is UofA. Prime reasons for both being in a location that I would enjoy for three years and opening up new possibilities outside my home state.

KangarooCourt13

Postby KangarooCourt13 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:06 pm

I'd go for Tulane

Return to “Choosing a Law School”