WUSTL (full ride) vs. USC ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
emilykc922

WUSTL (full ride) vs. USC ($)

Postby emilykc922 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 am

I'm almost positive I know what the responses are going to be, but here's my decision. I want to live somewhere on the West Coast. I'm not sure if I want to do public interest or big law, and I'm very interested in a federal clerkship. Here are my options:

WashU: full-tuition dean's scholarship

USC: $37,000/year

The only reason I'm still having trouble deciding is because I liked WashU a lot better as a place to live/study for the next three years and didn't feel that strongly connected to or excited about USC when I was there, but want to end up somewhere on the West Coast and probably CA near my family.

itascot1992

Re: WUSTL (full ride) vs. USC ($)

Postby itascot1992 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:44 am

emilykc922 wrote:I'm almost positive I know what the responses are going to be, but here's my decision. I want to live somewhere on the West Coast. I'm not sure if I want to do public interest or big law, and I'm very interested in a federal clerkship. Here are my options:

WashU: full-tuition dean's scholarship

USC: $37,000/year

The only reason I'm still having trouble deciding is because I liked WashU a lot better as a place to live/study for the next three years and didn't feel that strongly connected to or excited about USC when I was there, but want to end up somewhere on the West Coast and probably CA near my family.

your options are really, WUSTL or reapply and maybe retake next year. Also, you need a lot more info for a good answer, stats, goals, etc

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Hey. So what is your

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings 
- other places where you have significant ties (if any) 
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers 
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Have you negotiated with SC?
Last edited by LawsRUs on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:34 pm

If your ultimate goal is to be in California, then USC is probably the better bet. Have you tried negotiating the scholarship?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:43 pm

itascot1992 wrote:your options are really, WUSTL or reapply and maybe retake next year.

No. Do not go to WUSTL. It does not make sense for your goals.

Also, do not consider federal clerkship stats when choosing schools that are not HYS.

We need more information from you, but I would find USC at about 100K debt or less to be defensible, but it's still a risky move and not ideal. Either way, USC at 100K is better than WUSTL at 60K for your position. But get them to give you a better scholarship; they might not match the WUSTL deal, but they'll come closer. Be relentless. Also consider retaking in June for a better scholarship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”