Help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BM_1993

Help

Postby BM_1993 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi everyone.

So... I've had a pretty shitty cycle. Given my numbers, maybe this is what I should expect.

I'm WL'd at Emory, Boston College, and UC Davis
In at **dun dun dun** Baylor, UH, St. Johns. Withdrew from St. Johns and UH (no money).

As of now, I am pretty set on putting in a seat deposit for Baylor and waiting out the summer to see if I get accepted to any of the schools I'm waitlisted for.

I really don't think I will be happy attending Baylor.. but I do look it as an opportunity to maybe excel and transfer. Taking the LSAT again + asking for recommendations (I'm graduating this year from NYU) seems like way too much work to go through all over again. Baylor gave me a full ride and then some.

Anyone have any advice?

P.S. I know everyone says not to go into 1L thinking about transferring but I feel like that's my only option.

I have gotten some awesome internship PI opportunities for the summer and even a research opportunity with Harvard! Mentioned it in my LOCI...
ALSO, I'm waiting on Fordham, BU, Cornell, and one of the HYS (which I highly doubt I will get into, but you know what IDC). Should I send them a quick e-mail letting them know about these summer programs?

So confused. Would appreciate any help. PM for stats.

Manteca

Re: Help

Postby Manteca » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:47 pm

You need to retake. I'm sorry, but that's the only sane thing to do. Going to any of these schools at sticker would be insane.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Manteca wrote:You need to retake. I'm sorry, but that's the only sane thing to do. Going to any of these schools at sticker would be insane.

Yep.

In addition, going to Baylor under pretty much any circumstances is insane. As someone who I'm assuming is a non-Texan who does not want to work at a small firm in Texas, going to Baylor is double insane.

For reasons posted about ad nauseum on TLS, going to a not-good school w/ the plan of doing well and transferring is a categorically terrible idea. Even the best case scenarios suck relative to a good retake. Do not do it.

Good luck. Retake.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Where do you want to work?
Where do you have ties (e.g., where you're from, have family, have worked, etc.)?
What are your career goals?
I'm not PMing for numbers, just give a 2-3 point range for your LSAT score.
How many times have you taken the LSAT (it sounds like once)?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Also you can reuse your LORs, LSAC keeps them. You literally just have to get better at a multiple choice test and you can have a better life! What are your numbers anyway?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:going to Baylor under pretty much any circumstances is insane.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Baylor...derpy derp

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

From NYU undergrad to Baylor Law School, you might experience a touch of culture shock.

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm from Texas. Family is in Texas. I went out of state for UG. LSAT is 159...first take.

Are you sure rec letters stay on LSAC? Still holding out for these last four. Thanks for the candid advice yall!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 pm

BM_1993 wrote:I'm from Texas. Family is in Texas. I went out of state for UG. LSAT is 159...first take.

Are you sure rec letters stay on LSAC? Still holding out for these last four. Thanks for the candid advice yall!

110% positive. Please do NOT go through with this until you retake, you are making a serious serious life-altering mistake.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Reverse culture shock.

URM ? Cornell admits students with 159 LSATs, but they are probably URMs.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Yes

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm

BM_1993 wrote:Yes

If you have a sincere desire to be in Texas, then you need to retake for UT. As a URM you are not looking at needing a big improvement to do it. Move back to Texas to get a job and maintain your residency. If you have a burning desire to be in one of Houston or Dallas in particular, then a full ride to Houston or SMU, respectively, would also be fine.

Baylor on a full ride, if you have modest goals (ie you want to work in/hustle for small law) and you for sure want to be in Texas long term, I suppose there are worse things. You're probably not going to be unemployed nor drowning in debt, but you can do better, especially as a URM.

And if you don't want to be in Texas or are even hesitant about wanting Texas long term, you absolutely must retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”