Cornell with 120k and dual degree, or Georgetown with 75k

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UChicago123

Cornell with 120k and dual degree, or Georgetown with 75k

Postby UChicago123 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm having trouble deciding what to do in this situation.

Cornell has offered me 120k in scholarships, and has already admitted me for a joint degree JD/Master en droit. This is a four year program, but one only pays half tuition over those last two years, so the price is pretty similar.
On the other hand, Georgetown has offered me 75k, has a similar joint degree program, but has not admitted me to it.

The two cities and schools seem vastly different and difficult to compare, but maybe I'm wrong. This is what's complicating my decision. My goal is to practice BigLaw for a few years at least, immediately upon graduation, and then practice at an international firm or for a multinational corporation in-house.

Any advice is much appreciated!

zxbn579

Re: Cornell with 120k and dual degree, or Georgetown with 75k

Postby zxbn579 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Last edited by zxbn579 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm

I don't know what a Detroit Master is. How is that joint degree going to benefit you?

Disregarding the joint degree stuff, I would choose Cornell with 120K over Georgetown with 75K all day every day. But I can't tell how much debt you will be in from either based on your post.

How much debt will you be in when you graduate? Be sure to include cost of living, loan origination fees, interest, etc. Everything.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Why would you ever do your Masters in Detroit?
City is fked up.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

lol @ masters in detroit = "master en droit"

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:58 pm

90convoy wrote:lol @ masters in detroit = "master en droit"

xiao_long

Postby xiao_long » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 pm

UChicago123 wrote:I'm having trouble deciding what to do in this situation.

Cornell has offered me 120k in scholarships, and has already admitted me for a joint degree JD/Master en droit. This is a four year program, but one only pays half tuition over those last two years, so the price is pretty similar.
On the other hand, Georgetown has offered me 75k, has a similar joint degree program, but has not admitted me to it.

The two cities and schools seem vastly different and difficult to compare, but maybe I'm wrong. This is what's complicating my decision. My goal is to practice BigLaw for a few years at least, immediately upon graduation, and then practice at an international firm or for a multinational corporation in-house.

Your desire for Big law prompts my vote for Cornell. Smaller class size and significantly better Big law placement than Georgetown. Ithaca will also have significantly lower cost of living compared to Washington DC. People bitch about Cornell's location, but I think this is vastly overstated and besides, this wasn't supposed to be a vacation.

Also, is there a way you can skip the master's degree? International law is an extremely murky area, and you probably don't want to take on additional debt just to better position yourself for this elusive category of practice. If you perform well in Big law, this may lead to unexpected opportunities down the line at a multinational company, but don't hold your breath.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of the master en droit program is unless you want to practice in France. What do you mean practicing for an "international firm" or "multinational corporation"? Because you can do that in NYC, or do you mean you want to live abroad?

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Cornell.

bhowton

Postby bhowton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 pm

xiao_long wrote:
UChicago123 wrote:I'm having trouble deciding what to do in this situation.

Your desire for Big law prompts my vote for Cornell. Smaller class size and significantly better Big law placement than Georgetown. Ithaca will also have significantly lower cost of living compared to Washington DC. People bitch about Cornell's location, but I think this is vastly overstated and besides, this wasn't supposed to be a vacation.

Also, is there a way you can skip the master's degree? International law is an extremely murky area, and you probably don't want to take on additional debt just to better position yourself for this elusive category of practice. If you perform well in Big law, this may lead to unexpected opportunities down the line at a multinational company, but don't hold your breath.

From what I can tell there's no extra debt (depending on how you count +1 yr in school and the higher cost of living in Paris), since the tuition for 3 yrs Cornell = the tuition for 2 yrs Cornell/2 yrs Sorbonne and the scholarship is parceled across the 4 years.

OP, the main advantage I can see of the JD/Maitrise is having an classroom knowledge of civil law and thus an easier time with the barreau when apply for reciprocity. You can also earn the M2, which means something if you target market is France, but may mean less if you want to work for an 'International' (English or American) firm. PM if you want to share notes.

UChicago123

Postby UChicago123 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for the input everybody. It's been really helpful.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

If you want Detroit then choose Cooley.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Cornell but definitely definitely skip the detroit thing.

Not only is a year in detroit dangerous, by all accounts, but that's one more year of tuition and one more year of not getting paid 160k. Not worth it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:50 pm

I get that Ithaca sucks, but I'm not sure that splitting time in Detroit is a good way to escape the suck. Even if they do make you master.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:I get that Ithaca sucks, but I'm not sure that splitting time in Detroit is a good way to escape the suck. Even if they do make you master.

:lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:35 pm

OP posted that "any advice is appreciated". Okay, then stop referring to the Cornell program by its proper name which few are likely to know & offer a short explanation of the program. Next, don't omit important details like your internship with the US State Dept (unless your security clearance app. was denied). Also, be careful in Detroit as it's a fairly dangerous city.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”