BYU vs Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Marie1976

BYU vs Emory

Postby Marie1976 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Hey guys! Right now there are two main schools that I am trying to decide between before the April 15th seat deposit.

-BYU (no scholarship) vs Emory (96k scholarship) (I know these are very different schools lol)
-The COA according to their websites are about 43K/year for Emory (after scholarship) and 32K/year for BYU
-Financing my education with student loans and I will have a working spouse (but we also have 2 kids in daycare so mostly loans).
-I am from Nevada, but moved to Utah for undergrad and have lived in Utah for the past 9 years. I would prefer to work in the West, but eventually end up working government in DC. Spouse is from out of country and wants to get out of Utah for a while, he is leaning towards Emory, while I am leaning towards BYU. Although I don't think I would mind living in Georgia, I would prefer to come back West and have heard that Emory does not have a very far reach and I would most likely end up working in the area. I don't have family in either state. I would honestly rather stay in Utah so my spouse doesn't have to find a new job and new childcare and basically starting all over, but he is pretty set on getting away.
-My career goals are to work public interest, preferably government.
-GPA 3.2, LSAT 165 (non traditional student with work experience)
-Took the LSAT once, don't plan on taking again.

I would love opinions! Maybe you can give me a good argument that I can pass along. lol!

Winston1984

Re: BYU vs Emory

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Unless you are going to a top school (assuming equal costs and such), going to a school to see a different part of the country is a bad idea. Emory makes 0 sense here. It's not going to get you to DC.

BYU is defensible (probably not at that cost though) if you want to stay in Utah forever, which you don't.

I would retake the LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Mormon ?

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Your goals are confusing. Do you want to work in the West or DC?

Emory isn't going to get you to DC and BYU certainly isn't. But if you want to stay in the West, then BYU is defensible.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Read your OP but seriously: retake and sit out a cycle. Apply to more schools, get scholarship money, bounce them off one another until you're looking at a very high or full ride from a strong regional.

Neither school is 'bad' but as previous posters mention they're not great for your posted job prospects. Basically:

1. Minimize debt so you can recover from the JD cost easily even if job plans don't work out
2. Go to a decent enough school (look at NALP employment data, etc.) to maximize job chances
3. Got to school in the region you want to work. If you want a truly portable national-level degree you need t14 or higher.
4. Seriously, retake. Score a couple more points on a test and you save thousands of dollars. This is not hard.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:38 pm

BYU isn't a bad choice at all. COA is very low, assuming you're LDS.

This is speculation, but I would assume that BYU would also give you connections that Emory wouldn't, due to the strong network of LDS lawyers (there are a lot more than most would think).

Marie1976

Postby Marie1976 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 pm

I don't want to wait out this cycle because I'd really like to be able to get my career started in my early 30's. My goals may seem confusing, but by end up in DC I don't mean right away. I plan to start out working for the local government and try to work my way up to bigger things.

I also did apply to 16 schools. I got offered scholarships at a few of them, but none big enough or in an area I liked enough to really consider them. The biggest scholly I got was to ASU and they offered me 40K first year and 35K each year after, but my husband is anti Arizona. My other options are Minnesota, Alabama, and William and Mary. I was waitlisted at WashU and Notre Dame, but don't plan to ride it out.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Marie1976 wrote: I plan to start out working for the local government and try to work my way up to bigger things.

It doesn't really work like that unless you somehow magically hook on with a Cory Booker-type who works their way up to the national level.

When you say working for the local government, as an entry-level job that can mean one of two things. Mostly, it means DA. That means you'll be doing criminal law, under state not federal law, and in the "blue collar" context- i.e. drug dealers, drunk drivers, burglars, depending on the size of the local government maybe they have more experienced prosecutors doing solely high-level felonies. Although good experience, and quickly, this is not experience that is easily transferable to the type of federal prosecution job that will land you in DC. At best it's general litigation experience where you might be able to get on with a local civil litigation firm after a few years.

The second is being a county or city attorney. In smaller counties, this job goes to an insider, usually a local lawyer with a lot of experience. But let's say you're only applying to large cities. These cities might have lawyers who do land use, environmental, real estate, tort (someone sues the city cause' they tripped on a pothole). But again, we're talking state law, not federal law. Now you might be able to work your way up to working on drafting ordinances or other such government type work over the course of many years, but that will be within that city's organization. You won't be able to suddenly up and move to DC and work for a lobbying firm.

Basically, there are two broadly defined unofficial kinds of "bars" in the U.S. There's the federal bar, which consists very broadly of biglawyers, federal government attorneys, certain kinds of plaintiff's attorneys and lawyers at boutique firms in certain practice areas like corporate bankruptcy or tax, lawyers who work for the federal courts, and certain public interest lawyers like the ACLU or the federal public defenders. This is a very small bar compared to the state bar, which does most of the legal work in the country. These are not very rigid categories- every biglaw firm handles state court cases, local public defenders offices sometimes take cases through federal habeas review, etc. But they don't really cross each other in terms of employment opportunities and whether you get on the federal track is in large part determined in law school.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:47 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Read your OP but seriously: retake and sit out a cycle. Apply to more schools, get scholarship money, bounce them off one another until you're looking at a very high or full ride from a strong regional.

Neither school is 'bad' but as previous posters mention they're not great for your posted job prospects. Basically:

1. Minimize debt so you can recover from the JD cost easily even if job plans don't work out
2. Go to a decent enough school (look at NALP employment data, etc.) to maximize job chances
3. Got to school in the region you want to work. If you want a truly portable national-level degree you need t14 or higher.
4. Seriously, retake. Score a couple more points on a test and you save thousands of dollars. This is not hard.

normally I hate zacharus but I have to echo this advice.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:16 am

W&M has a decent pipeline to DC, but that's still gonna be a tough get. Honestly if you're dead set on going this year, I gotta say BYU for all of the reasons stated. Emory simply doesn't fit any of your goals at all.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”