UPDATED: Northwestern ($190k) vs Georgetown ($140k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Northwestern (COA: $190k)
67%
Georgetown (COA: $140k)
33%

Total votes: 6

Rigo

UPDATED: Northwestern ($190k) vs Georgetown ($140k)

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:32 pm

Goals: competitive PI-- maybe FedGov, more likely legal nonprofits, have some connections and prior (nonlegal) PI work experience

Numbers: 3.3x/ 172 (took LSAT twice)

Financing: primarily through debt.

Northwestern: $190K COA

Georgetown: $140k COA

Personally prefers Northwestern.

Note: This is for my friend. Ask any follow up questions you'd like and I'll forward them to him and get answers. Thanks!
Last edited by Rigo on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: UVA vs. Northwestern vs Georgetown vs UT vs WUSTL

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Has friend tried negotiating with NU/UVA with the gulc offer?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Has friend tried negotiating with NU/UVA with the gulc offer?

Trying to get NU up. UVA won't budge.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Negotiate for more $$ from UT

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:43 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:Negotiate for more $$ from UT

^^

UVA, NU and GULC are just too expensive at these prices, and I'd think it's worth paying a little more to go to UT instead of WUSTL if you like texas

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Hand wrote:
lawschool1741 wrote:Negotiate for more $$ from UT

^^

UVA, NU and GULC are just too expensive at these prices, and I'd think it's worth paying a little more to go to UT instead of WUSTL if you like texas

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Which has the best LRAP? And would you still be comfortable with biglaw, cause without the LRAP youd need biglaw to pay that level of debt.

In general: UVa=NU>GULC>UT. Then you gotta figure in cost.

UVa at sticker is no go IMO.

See if UT will bump you up once they see your WUSTL offer.

But as it currently is, I think it'd be between NU and GULC depending on you feel about biglaw, how bad you want PI, and good the LRAPs are.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Sent updated offers to UT and waiting to hear back.
Should LRAP be a consideration? UT's is very poor.

If UT is stubborn, is Georgetown worth it at that price differential? What about NU if NU matches the $90k or goes up to ~$60k or $70k?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:53 pm

For the biglaw question, it's not the dream, but I'm okay with it. I don't want to do it forever, but I am fine with doing it for a while. I would want to lateral to PI after (no dreams of partner here)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:54 pm

I think UT/WUSTL is out based on goals

UVA/NU out based on cost

It hurts my soul hole to pay that much for GULC but with a little family support and a YOLO attitude toward LRAP I guess...

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:56 pm

No firsthand experience with this but from what I understand UT for prestigious PI (especially anything on the coast) is a non-starter

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah if UT doesn't come up a bit and BigFed is not just preferred but strongly preferred then GULC makes the most sense

ETA: LRAP cap at GULC will result in making your own payments on a BigFed salary after 1 to 2 years but then again you can just PAYE that mofo till PSLF takes care of it with that job, assuming both remain intact until 2028

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm more averse to not getting a desirable PI carrer than I am debt averse, largely because I'm more motivated by impact than money.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:10 pm

I think what scares me a bit is the bad rap Georgetown ("GeorgeTTTown") gets on TLS. Without revving up the debate again, is that bad rap mostly limited to them having lower biglaw placement and not being generous with scholarships? It's not getting a bad rap for PI and bigfed placement too, is it?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 pm

none of these options sound appealing.

how are COL costs being calculated. Is OP really going to spend 28K a year living in STL? Seems, like, incredibly steep.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:33 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:how are COL costs being calculated. Is OP really going to spend 28K a year living in STL? Seems, like, incredibly steep.

Subtracting scholarships from LST total cost of attendance, so the totals are very likely higher than what it will actually cost.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Rigo wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:how are COL costs being calculated. Is OP really going to spend 28K a year living in STL? Seems, like, incredibly steep.

Subtracting scholarships from LST total cost of attendance, so the totals are very likely higher than what it will actually cost.

well yeah you're counting several years of interest on sticker debt/col for no reason at all. that's a lot and it's going to really skew the advice here unnecessarily. Especially if he can get 10K off from family.

So in other words we're looking at graduating with 30K debt at WUSTL?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Virginia & Northwestern are out, in my opinion, due to cost. Negotiate with Georgetown & Texas.

Are these all of the law schools to which you've been accepted ?

Can you give examples of the specific public interest work that you're seeking ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Broncos847

Postby Broncos847 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Cornell?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Probably overestimating all around. Judge all prices relative to eachother, I guess, while recognizing that they'll likely be lower.
It's hard to expect someone to come up with accurate COL estimates when applicants wouldn't know that at this juncture. Therefore, this choosing thread defers to the school estimates which are on the high end for all schools.

WUSTL COL will probably be half of that estimate, I would think, but don't kill the messenger.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Broncos847 wrote:Cornell?

Waitlisted and withdrew.
No where else is in play right now.

Rigo

Re: UPDATED: Northwestern ($190k) vs Georgetown ($140k)

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Bump for updated info.

Based on goals, friend thinks NU or GULC are his best options right now. Some scholarship information has changed and friend made a budget and accounted for small family contributions and came to these numbers for COA.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Rigo wrote:Bump for updated info.

Based on goals, friend thinks NU or GULC are his best options right now. Some scholarship information has changed and friend made a budget and accounted for small family contributions and came to these numbers for COA.

I'd go to Northwestern since I think the difference in placement is substantial for anyone targeting the private sector. For public sector and public interest, Georgetown.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I'd go to Northwestern since I think the difference in placement is substantial for anyone targeting the private sector. For public sector and public interest, Georgetown.

Not targeting the private sector, although that better private sector placement is an attractive safety net should plans change (is that worth $50k more?). Will probably do OCI just to keep the option open.

Also, I know a lot of people choose Georgetown for PI/govt, but is it BETTER than Northwestern in terms of PI placement power?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Not targeting the private sector, although that better private sector placement is an attractive safety net should plans change (is that worth $50k more?). Will probably do OCI just to keep the option open.

Also, I know a lot of people choose Georgetown for PI/govt, but is it BETTER than Northwestern in terms of PI placement power?

I think it's better. Northwestern is a traditional feeder school into large banks and firms. I think the culture reflects the reputation, as does it's weaker LRAP. I'm sure there are great opportunities out of NU, but only ~6.5% of their class of 2013 went into public service versus 14% for Georgetown -- more than double.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”