Duke Vandy UofMN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to?

- Duke @ 60k scholly
48%
-UCLA @ 75k
No votes
- Vandy @ 100k
17%
- U of MN @ Full tuition
35%

Total votes: 23

will0302

Duke Vandy UofMN

Postby will0302 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:49 am

The schools you are considering
- Duke @ 60k scholly
-UCLA @ 75k
- Vandy @ 100k
- U of MN @ Full tuition

I'm pretty debt-averse. I'm okay with taking out some more loans for l I shudder at the idea of graduating 200K in debt)
I'm from Minnesota and have a decent network here. I feel pretty confident that if I graduated from the U of MN i'd have a job waiting for me. Ive been here my whole life though and wouldn't mind a change. I know it'll be a lot harder to leave if I get that U of MN JD. Big law sounds nice but I feel i'd be okay with something in the midlaw range, or maybe a government job.

I really don't like the idea of re-take/re-applying although I will admit that I applied very late in the cycle and that probably had an impact on my outcomes.

Discuss!

xiao_long

Re: Duke Vandy UofMN

Postby xiao_long » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:38 am

Even with the scholarships, Vandy and UCLA will run you 120k and 150k, respectively. Duke will be over 170k. With that kind of a debt level, Big law will likely be necessary and Duke will give you the best shot of getting it. Also, should you wish to return to MN, Duke will have the best brand recognition among the others. Unless you're thinking about possibly settling in LA, Duke will provide the best overall portability.

However, if you have good reason to feel confident that you will have a decent job "waiting for you" should you stay local, then my vote would go to Minny. Not to mention your total COL could nearly be zero since presumably you would get to live at home. However, do some research for your own sake. There was a long, entertaining post made by a 2L a couple of years ago expressing his opinions on Minny. The guy was able to attend at a great bargain, but he nevertheless excoriated his alma mater.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 am

Duke or Minnesota. Really depends upon how you feel about staying in Minnesota. Duke because it's the most portable degree among your options. The difference in cost is worth Duke's placement widespread capabilities.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 am

Stats? How late did you apply? Total COA of each?

Serett

Postby Serett » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:30 am

I think most choices there are at least defensible, depending on where you want to practice, but also coming from the Upper Midwest and with somewhat similar offers, I chose Duke.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:51 am

Duke or UMN; UCLA and vandy don't make sense here.

Depends how risk averse you are and how badly you'd like to leave MSP. Duke is relatively risky with that debt load, but you'll have geographic flexibility and good biglaw chances. UMn is the opposite, essentially.

If you're unhappy with either choice, retake.

will0302

Postby will0302 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:04 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:Duke or UMN; UCLA and vandy don't make sense here.

Depends how risk averse you are and how badly you'd like to leave MSP. Duke is relatively risky with that debt load, but you'll have geographic flexibility and good biglaw chances. UMn is the opposite, essentially.

If you're unhappy with either choice, retake.

Yeah I guess the more I think about it I am pretty risk/debt averse so UMN is definitely looking like the way to go here. Hard to give up dat preftige though lol

Thanks

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Based on what you posted, I'd retake

I don't think you're really interested in what Minnesota will provide for you

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Yeah what is your GPA? If it's really strong and your LSAT is comparatively low, I would also say retake is the best option. If you're a mini splitter or something (ie already have like a 1~70+ LSAT and an iffy GPA), then retaking isn't going to be a big help. Also how late were your apps?

will0302

Postby will0302 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 pm

I basically applied at the end of January/early February. As late in the cycle as possible, pretty much. I'm an AA with 168/3.3 but I realllly don't want to put off law school for another year because I didn't apply in the "right" way.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:29 pm

will0302 wrote:I basically applied at the end of January/early February. As late in the cycle as possible, pretty much. I'm an AA with 168/3.3 but I realllly don't want to put off law school for another year because I didn't apply in the "right" way.

Well then. You would have much more attractive options if you waited a year. Especially with a retake.

will0302

Postby will0302 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
will0302 wrote:I basically applied at the end of January/early February. As late in the cycle as possible, pretty much. I'm an AA with 168/3.3 but I realllly don't want to put off law school for another year because I didn't apply in the "right" way.

Well then. You would have much more attractive options if you waited a year. Especially with a retake.

I kind of feel like that's the right idea but I just have too much pressure from family and friends to go this fall. You know what I mean?

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Duke - if you want Big Law and portability.
UMN - if the fear of large debt is worse than staying in the Twin Cities.

They're both defensible, but it's really what you prefer: portability and big law, or low debt and the Twin Cities?

180kickflip

Postby 180kickflip » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:16 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:

I wouldn't say that much better options are a guarantee here (although that UCLA offer looks a bit low).

If you're targeting MN, cali, and the south, then 100k at vandy, full @ MN, and 60k at Duke look pretty close to what applicant with your numbers have been getting with earlier applications. Now, if you'd be cool with attending cornell, gtown, NU, or Michigan, then maybe you should sit out and reapply. You'll probably get an offer between 90-120k at one or more of them.

Still...If I was debt averse, had ties to MN, a strong network developed there, and I was cool with midlaw/gov. work in MN, then I'd probably take MN here. I don't know what gave you the feeling that biglaw sounds nice, but for me, being able to minimize debt and go to school in a place where I'd have a job waiting for me would top just about anything.

kd5

Postby kd5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:13 pm

xiao_long wrote:There was a long, entertaining post made by a 2L a couple of years ago expressing his opinions on Minny. The guy was able to attend at a great bargain, but he nevertheless excoriated his alma mater.

Do your research, yes (and if you don't want to stay in MN, retake or go to Duke), but that post (while an entertaining shitshow) isn't a terribly grounded analysis of what the experiences and outcomes are like at UMN.

Not saying the outcomes are great or even okay, and the school punches way below its ratings weight class, but that poster's specific complaints (the paint is peeling! they made me write my exams by hand that one time! the dean personally threatened me!) were pretty unique to him, for the most part.

will0302

Postby will0302 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:44 pm

kd5 wrote:
xiao_long wrote:There was a long, entertaining post made by a 2L a couple of years ago expressing his opinions on Minny. The guy was able to attend at a great bargain, but he nevertheless excoriated his alma mater.

Do your research, yes (and if you don't want to stay in MN, retake or go to Duke), but that post (while an entertaining shitshow) isn't a terribly grounded analysis of what the experiences and outcomes are like at UMN.

Not saying the outcomes are great or even okay, and the school punches way below its ratings weight class, but that poster's specific complaints (the paint is peeling! they made me write my exams by hand that one time! the dean personally threatened me!) were pretty unique to him, for the most part.

I've read that post and I agree. It was largely entertaining but a lot of the complaints seemed petty or too specific to his experience to be used as a guide to others. I have visited the school and I definitely got the dank, dungeon vibe from it. At the same time, I don't need to attend an absolutely beautiful facility to learn things. It's a nice bonus, but not a deal-breaker for me whatsoever.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”