Emory ($) vs UF (in-state) vs Penn State ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
harvardlaw8

Emory ($) vs UF (in-state) vs Penn State ($$)

Postby harvardlaw8 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 am

Emory: scholarship in the amount of $18k per year, COA = $56,338 per year
UF: pay in state tuition, COA = $39,560.9 per year
Penn State: scholarship in the amount of $30k per year, COA = $38,774

I plan on working internationally, specifically in Dubai. From what I've heard, if you plan on working in the U.S.A it is always best to choose the higher ranked school. I don't believe that applies internationally. I really like Emory and it's prestige...but is it worth it compared to the other two schools? What would be the best option for me?
**Does anyone know how these schools compare in terms of international prestige?**

foregetaboutdre

Re: Emory ($) vs UF (in-state) vs Penn State ($$)

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 am

I would say these are all essentially regional schools (esp. Penn State). Emory has some clout in the south and Florida (essentially only its tax LLM) has some clout nationally, but this is EXTREMELY limited. I wouldn't bet on working internationally as a graduate from any of these schools (or even the entire T14 for that matter) without some SERIOUS connections.

Are you from the UAE or can you speak Arabic? From my limited research it does seem there is a demand for US lawyers in Dubai, but most of these positions (from my limited research) are in-house counsel types that want experienced lawyers (from big law).

harvardlaw8

Postby harvardlaw8 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:15 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:I would say these are all essentially regional schools (esp. Penn State). Emory has some clout in the south and Florida (essentially only its tax LLM) has some clout nationally, but this is EXTREMELY limited. I wouldn't bet on working internationally as a graduate from any of these schools (or even the entire T14 for that matter) without some SERIOUS connections.

Are you from the UAE or can you speak Arabic? From my limited research it does seem there is a demand for US lawyers in Dubai, but most of these positions (from my limited research) are in-house counsel types that want experienced lawyers (from big law).

I am fluent in Arabic and my sister is a lawyer in Dubai.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:21 am

harvardlaw8 wrote:Emory: scholarship in the amount of $18k per year, COA = $56,338 per year
UF: pay in state tuition, COA = $39,560.9 per year
Penn State: scholarship in the amount of $30k per year, COA = $38,774

I plan on working internationally, specifically in Dubai. From what I've heard, if you plan on working in the U.S.A it is always best to choose the higher ranked school. I don't believe that applies internationally. I really like Emory and it's prestige...but is it worth it compared to the other two schools? What would be the best option for me?
**Does anyone know how these schools compare in terms of international prestige?**

Well, I don't know shit about working in dubai, granted, but why would going to an average, random US law school be a reasonable springboard for that? If it is, then at least retake to get a better cost of attendance.

What you've heard about working in the USA is just plain wrong. There's almost never a circumstance where that's true, as a general rule. When you're not talking about the elite schools (you're not), you pick your preferred geographic region then you work to find the right nexus between placement power and cost of attendance. If you are looking at elite schools it is pretty much the same considerations that are relevant, not "ranking." (I use scare quotes because the rankings are stupid as fuck and pretty much irrelevant).

I can't speak at all to international prestige, but Emory law is not prestigious in the United States, generally, and is prestigious in Georgia if you get really good grades, which you can't count on as a 0L. UF and Penn State aren't even prestigious in their own states, so I doubt they are prestigious internationally.

These costs of attendance are pretty much indefensible even for modest goals in their respective regions. Unless the dubai legal market needs lawyers from random US schools, or unless your family is obscenely wealthy, possibly with oil money or dubai blood money (if the latter I take everything back and think you should go to Emory--it's most prestigious), it would be unwise go to any of the above.

I would retake or find another career path. Good luck.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 am

Your sister might be able to help you here better than anyone on TLS, especially if she's only a few years out of school

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 am

Emory medical school probably has international prestige. Hopefully that'll carry over to the law school in Dubai. Based on your LSAT score, you did well to get 18k a year from Emory. From which college or university did you get your undergraduate degree?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”