WUSTL ($$$) or wait?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Publius92

WUSTL ($$$) or wait?

Postby Publius92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Hello,

I was accepted to WashULaw with a $120,000 scholarship (40k each year). Any law school I go to will be financed through loans. I predict my CoA will be around 100k. I have no real interest in St. Louis (although the city does seem nice, I'm just from the East Coast). Ideally, I'd like to live in D.C. (got into GW but no scholarship, and still waiting on GULC) in the future (or another city on the East Coast, like NY or Boston), either as a staff member in Congress, or a lobbyist, or in a private firm. WUSTL has clinical opportunities in D.C., as well as other fields. Areas of study I would like to focus on are varied, including International Law, Public Interest, and Patent Law.

My GPA is 3.14 (and I fear may drop this semester). My LSAT score is 170 (first time was 168, did not study for either). I applied late in the cycle this year, and although I am confident that I can do better on my LSAT, I fear that my GPA drop will hurt me if I wait.

I appreciate any advice.
Thank you.

Re: WUSTL ($$$) or wait?

Postby 03152016 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm

have you considered trying to find a job on the hill without a law degree
if you worked in a private firm, what kind of work would you want to do? private firm could mean anything from slip-and-fall to mergers and acquisitions
you mentioned international law, public interest, and patent law. are these career goals or just topics you find interesting

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm a 0L but 120k for that GPA seems pretty great, even from the generous WashU

Publius92

Postby Publius92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 pm

I interned in DC for a Congressional Office, and almost everyone had a JD or Masters. By private firm I mean BigLaw probably, although I'm not married to any one area. Mergers and acquisitions seems fun. International Law and Public Interest are definitely possible career goals. I know I'd enjoy working as either a Public Defender or as a public attorney. At WUSTL I'd have an opportunity to go to the Netherlands to study International and Comparative Law, and something in that field would be ideal. I'd love to work in the Hague, UN, or State Department (which essentially requires an advanced degree).

Publius92

Postby Publius92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 pm

ub3r wrote:I'm a 0L but 120k for that GPA seems pretty great, even from the generous WashU

Yeah, I agree. I think I'm very lucky to have gotten what I did.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 pm

quick thought: 3.14 is already well below any decent school's 25th percentile.

that means the drop, if it happened, wouldn't be as meaningful.

i say definitely wait, retake, and apply earlier next year. washu for those goals seems shaky.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Publius92 wrote:I interned in DC for a Congressional Office, and almost everyone had a JD or Masters. By private firm I mean BigLaw probably, although I'm not married to any one area. Mergers and acquisitions seems fun. International Law and Public Interest are definitely possible career goals. I know I'd enjoy working as either a Public Defender or as a public attorney. At WUSTL I'd have an opportunity to go to the Netherlands to study International and Comparative Law, and something in that field would be ideal. I'd love to work in the Hague, UN, or State Department (which essentially requires an advanced degree).

My immediate thought is that it doesn't seem like you particularly know what you want to do, and some of these things you're throwing out are insanely difficult to get--and I'm not looking at any statistics, but I'm imagining WUSTL has fairly low DC placement.

Reapply.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Start looking for a job on the hill, or in a local Congressperson's or senator's office. Get some work experience and study. If you got a 170 cold, you could do much better.

Publius92

Postby Publius92 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:09 am

If I wait, what schools could I get into with a GPA of 3-3.14 that would be better?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:13 am

Publius92 wrote:If I wait, what schools could I get into with a GPA of 3-3.14 that would be better?

Northwestern or GULC

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Publius92 wrote:If I wait, what schools could I get into with a GPA of 3-3.14 that would be better?

Northwestern or GULC

But prepare for more debt if you take one of these next cycle, OP. Unfortunately that GPA will hold you back from getting good money.
The WUSTL deal is pretty strong. Think long and hard about the debt load you'd be willing to take on and balance that with your goals. Would you pay triple the costs for a greater chance at achieving your career goals?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”