Columbia $$ Vs. Cornell and Michigan ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AreJay711

Re: Cornell vs. Chicago vs. Duke UPDATE!

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 pm

WeeBey wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
90convoy wrote:
WeeBey wrote:Take your Michigan offer to Duke.

alright!

Also, bump. I changed the OP and would be grateful if anyone could give me any help with this :?

I wouldn't pay 70k more for CLS. You have to screw up pretty badly at Michigan to strike out on NYC biglaw, and Michigan places a little better in LA than Cornell to the extent you want to keep that door open.

With 54% in BL + FC, I'm a little skeptical of that statement. Even GULC is at 48% and I think they have a greater self-selection bias.

Cornell placed 74% BL + FC, that means well below median folks are getting biglaw. Sure, it is probably all NYC Biglaw, however, if you get biglaw from either school, it most likely will be NYC, but Cornell will place better into NYC. And you can always lateral to CA after a few years in NYC.

Yeah, but TBH, Michigan is full of fucking hippy do gooders and bros who wanted to go to smaller firms so they could get their drink on Friday night. Out of my 5 closest friends, only one is at a biglaw shop. I'm at a SSC going fed next year, one is at a midlaw firm making ~$120k, two are at small firms making $70k but not working weekends, and another is helping illegals steal social security or some shit. The only one of the six of us in that 54% had a 2.7 gpa after 1L. The rest were above median.

BruceWayne

Re: Columbia $$ Vs. Cornell and Michigan ($$$)

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:52 pm

UVA might as well be the same school as Michigan and I assure you don't have to "screw up pretty badly" to miss out on NYC biglaw from there; so saying that about Michigan is being incredibly unrealistic.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:55 pm

BruceWayne wrote:UVA might as well be the same school as Michigan and I assure you don't have to "screw up pretty badly" to miss out on NYC biglaw from there; so saying that about Michigan is being incredibly unrealistic.

yeah, i realized after i said it that it was insensitive. what i should have said was if you're close to median and you bid primarily/realistically for NYC biglaw, you have a very strong shot.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks all. Ill take this week/weekend to marinate on it all and then make a deposit. Thank god for this site. I def wouldnt be t14 bound had it not been for tls.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”