Harvard $ vs NYU $$ for public interest

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
civiltostrangers

Harvard $ vs NYU $$ for public interest

Postby civiltostrangers » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Mostly considering:
Harvard @ ~190k (maybe?*)
NYU @ ~160k

Also looking at:
Duke @ ~120k
Michigan @ ~90k

(*Have not received aid package from H just yet, but based on stuff from their website I think(?) will get ~20k-ish a year, between being personally broke and asset-less and 27, and my parents being only marginally less broke and asset-less.)

Waiting to hear from YS. COA based on school budget estimates, not including tuition hikes and interest, sorry. Financing through loans. I've also got about 6k in remaining undergrad debt. I hate debt... a lot... but I've kind of reconciled myself to it, and am counting on LRAP. I'm from the Midwest but don't really have strong ties anywhere. I don't care where I live after graduating... at all, really! I've lived in many places and am happy wherever I am generally.

Career goals: public interest all the way, with a few years of walking the walk and living the salary behind me so I don't think I'm likely to bail at this point. Specifically, I'd like to work with refugees/asylees, in IHR, or in immigration law, though I'm open to other PI areas. I think I'd be happy enough working in generic legal aid, but I would like to at least be in a position to make a game attempt at places like HRW/Amnesty.

172/4.0, took the LSAT once (in December). TCR is probably to retake/wait a year and apply earlier, but the thought of wiling away another year doing the kind of work I'm doing now and going through this all over again is enough to make me asthmatic. I also think the score is pretty reflective of my general ability, based on many PTs.

Thanks for any input! I've scoured these boards, and the closest seems to by H vs. NYU full-ride stuff for PI, which is not quite my situation. I'm legitimately pretty torn right now, and won't be able to visit either school.

As an aside, am I in any position to negotiate with NYU? I thought not, since my higher offers are a) not much higher and b) from lower-ranked schools, and I don't really know how being in at H matters.

Mack.Hambleton

Re: Harvard $ vs NYU $$ for public interest

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:18 pm

I'd go HYS need based + LRAP here. Unless you got RTK or full rides elsewhere

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:29 am

Harvard admission is a strong factor for negotiating scholarships.

Arboreal

Postby Arboreal » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 am

civiltostrangers wrote:Mostly considering:
Harvard @ ~190k (maybe?*)
NYU @ ~160k

Also looking at:
Duke @ ~120k
Michigan @ ~90k

(*Have not received aid package from H just yet, but based on stuff from their website I think(?) will get ~20k-ish a year, between being personally broke and asset-less and 27, and my parents being only marginally less broke and asset-less.)

Waiting to hear from YS. COA based on school budget estimates, not including tuition hikes and interest, sorry. Financing through loans. I've also got about 6k in remaining undergrad debt. I hate debt... a lot... but I've kind of reconciled myself to it, and am counting on LRAP. I'm from the Midwest but don't really have strong ties anywhere. I don't care where I live after graduating... at all, really! I've lived in many places and am happy wherever I am generally.

Career goals: public interest all the way, with a few years of walking the walk and living the salary behind me so I don't think I'm likely to bail at this point. Specifically, I'd like to work with refugees/asylees, in IHR, or in immigration law, though I'm open to other PI areas. I think I'd be happy enough working in generic legal aid, but I would like to at least be in a position to make a game attempt at places like HRW/Amnesty.

172/4.0, took the LSAT once (in December). TCR is probably to retake/wait a year and apply earlier, but the thought of wiling away another year doing the kind of work I'm doing now and going through this all over again is enough to make me asthmatic. I also think the score is pretty reflective of my general ability, based on many PTs.

Thanks for any input! I've scoured these boards, and the closest seems to by H vs. NYU full-ride stuff for PI, which is not quite my situation. I'm legitimately pretty torn right now, and won't be able to visit either school.

As an aside, am I in any position to negotiate with NYU? I thought not, since my higher offers are a) not much higher and b) from lower-ranked schools, and I don't really know how being in at H matters.

With a 172/4.0, you shouldn't be paying more than 100k for law school (unless you choose to forego t14 $$$$ for HYS). I'd negotiate hard right now for more money from NYU, and if that doesn't work out I'd reapply early and broadly next cycle, focusing especially on AnBryce/RTK applications and the Berkeley matching scholarship.

Don't take on more debt than you have to because of mild asthma -- that shit is treatable!

michlaw

Postby michlaw » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:08 am

Harvard by all means.

civiltostrangers

Postby civiltostrangers » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am probably not going to wait a year, though-- really, I know it's sound advice generally, but not having to wait a year is worth quite a bit of money to me personally (even discounting the Harvard option).

I will definitely appeal NYU's decision and push for more $$, though I'm not really sure how much more would tilt me in their direction instead of H... Would an NYU full-ride that is not RTK be better over H? How about $120k? I have trouble with gradations like this.

If anyone else has any input, I'd really appreciate it. I'm of the crowd-sourcing generation, after all, and my family and friends don't really have the necessary background to be helpful, dazed as they are by the HLS name.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Why are you not considering Michigan more seriously? From Midwest and willing to stay in Midwest, and looking at PI, you could definitely do worse than Michigan at 90k.

If you are really committed to PI work, then Harvard is definitely defensible. Their LIPP program is (probably) the best in the country. They make actual payments on your loans (equivalent to the 10 year repayment plan I think) during your tenure in PI and have a very wide range of qualifying jobs. That means that even if you decide to leave PI in five years, your debt is cut in half already. This is completely separate from government plans like PAYE/IBR, so you won't even have to worry about those programs being cut in the future.***

***You should fact check all my statements because I only have a cursory knowledge of LIPP. This is just meant to point you in the right direction

civiltostrangers

Postby civiltostrangers » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:56 pm

I was looking at Michigan pretty seriously until the H admit, but I feel like even if I managed to get their offer up I'd still have some moderately hefty loans and their LRAP isn't really that great. Also, though I think their recent fall from grace on these boards seems a little overstated, I don't think it's controversial that for the 'elite PI' that I dream of targeting H and NYU seem to place better. I don't mind being in the Midwest, but I'd like to, for example, also be able to look at international placements, and my understanding is that Michigan wouldn't fare well in that regard.

LIPP really is pretty great in terms of flexibility and not being linked to IBR, though if you're making between 70k and 100k a year it's definitely not ideal. I guess you could just plead with your boss not to give you a raise.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 pm

yot11 wrote:Why are you not considering Michigan more seriously? From Midwest and willing to stay in Midwest, and looking at PI, you could definitely do worse than Michigan at 90k.

If you are really committed to PI work, then Harvard is definitely defensible. Their LIPP program is (probably) the best in the country. They make actual payments on your loans (equivalent to the 10 year repayment plan I think) during your tenure in PI and have a very wide range of qualifying jobs. That means that even if you decide to leave PI in five years, your debt is cut in half already. This is completely separate from government plans like PAYE/IBR, so you won't even have to worry about those programs being cut in the future.***

***You should fact check all my statements because I only have a cursory knowledge of LIPP. This is just meant to point you in the right direction

This is more or less accurate. LIPP is the shit assuming you qualify for full reimbursement.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:I'd go HYS need based + LRAP here. Unless you got RTK or full rides elsewhere

Return to “Choosing a Law School”