Debt, Aid offers

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU v UCHicago v UVA $$ v Cornell $$$ v GULC $$$

NYU (almost sticker)
4%
UChicago (almost sticker)
4%
UVA ($90k)
8%
Cornell ($135k)
54%
GULC ($149k)
17%
Penn ($57K)
13%

Total votes: 24

Cilia

Debt, Aid offers

Postby Cilia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Okay so by the looks of the poll no one thinks that paying nearly sticker at NYU is worth it. They gave me 37,500-45,000 by the way. I call it nearly sticker because my debt would still be 206-213k before interest. Chicago gave me 10k per year, so the debt would be about the same. No one voted for that either. I'm wondering if that amount of debt completely unmanageable with the types of jobs NYU grads tend to get or if people think it just not make sense with the other offers I have...(excluding GULC because after clarification the scholarship is not nearly as much as I thought it was...grant was already included in the offer)
Last edited by Cilia on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: Official Aid offers in! (Chicago, UVA, Penn, NYU, GULC,..)

Postby BigZuck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:10 pm

I didn't really read it that closely (too long) and some of the most important info (cost of attendance) is presented in a confusing way but I think Georgetown is the right answer cuz you have almost a fully and want to do PI in DC.

I'd probably edit the post and put:
Cost of attendance at each school
Followed by geographic and career goals
And then maybe a list of your random questions

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Depends where you want to live & work. Also, check out NYU's forgiveness/repayment plans for public interest work.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends where you want to live & work. Also, check out NYU's forgiveness/repayment plans for public interest work.

I looked into it. I actually heard what the dean had to say about it at an event I went to...it seems good but I'm worried that I might change my mind and decide that maybe I *want* to work at a firm for a few years or do a combination of the two, which apparently a lot of people end up doing. And I'm wondering in that case if 200k+ in debt from NYU would be manageable.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:I didn't really read it that closely (too long) and some of the most important info (cost of attendance) is presented in a confusing way but I think Georgetown is the right answer cuz you have almost a fully and want to do PI in DC.

I'd probably edit the post and put:
Cost of attendance at each school
Followed by geographic and career goals
And then maybe a list of your random questions

Right. I'll edit

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 pm

I would pay an extra 30k for UVA over Cornell. I would not pay more than 30k for UVA over Cornell.

kray

Postby kray » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:13 pm

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, merit aid at GULC and dean's grant (need-based) aid are not additive. The way that it was explained to me (albeit through a third-party) was that whichever award is larger is what you get -- so if you get $30/year in merit and $10/year in need-based, then you would still only get $30/year (larger offer) but $10k of it would come out of the need-based funds. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but just a consideration.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 pm

kray wrote:I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, merit aid at GULC and dean's grant (need-based) aid are not additive. The way that it was explained to me (albeit through a third-party) was that whichever award is larger is what you get -- so if you get $30/year in merit and $10/year in need-based, then you would still only get $30/year (larger offer) but $10k of it would come out of the need-based funds. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but just a consideration.

This is also my understanding.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:21 am

kray wrote:I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, merit aid at GULC and dean's grant (need-based) aid are not additive. The way that it was explained to me (albeit through a third-party) was that whichever award is larger is what you get -- so if you get $30/year in merit and $10/year in need-based, then you would still only get $30/year (larger offer) but $10k of it would come out of the need-based funds. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but just a consideration.

Yes I called and they explained to me that the scholarship offer was inclusive (so it was including the grant they had given me before, which wasn't totally clear in the email, unfortunately). So yes, you are correct. I didn't bother changing the poll but that helped me to eliminate Georgetown. I'd actually end up with 150k (before interest) in debt...which ends up being more than my debt at UVA would be.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 am

twenty wrote:I would pay an extra 30k for UVA over Cornell. I would not pay more than 30k for UVA over Cornell.

Interesting. I know UVA's job placement is really good, but I was thinking maybe Cornell would offer certain connections if I decide to work in NYC...maybe not though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”