(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
letoile

Postby letoile » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Last edited by letoile on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JasonSehorn

Re: Work in CA: GW, Fordham, BU, or Hastings

Postby JasonSehorn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:03 pm

GW, but only if you are doing IP and have the necessary undergrad degree.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

But first reaction is that you should retake if you don't get in off a WL, options don't match goals

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm

None of these, go to a t14 or ucla/usc

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:36 pm

None of the above will give you a good shot at california big law, but of those options I'd take Hastings. Its ranked much lower than some of the others, but it has a good reputation in California. I'm also from California and many attorneys, especially the older ones, I've spoken to seem to regard it very highly - much higher than I'd expect.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 pm

All of these choices are pretty dreadful for CA big law. Like, maybe 10% shot at best. Aim higher.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:27 pm

hearsay77 wrote:None of the above will give you a good shot at california big law, but of those options I'd take Hastings. Its ranked much lower than some of the others, but it has a good reputation in California. I'm also from California and many attorneys, especially the older ones, I've spoken to seem to regard it very highly - much higher than I'd expect.

I agree that Hastings seems to have a reputation in the Bay Area that far outstrips its ranking but it doesn't seem to be translating into even reasonable job prospects so honestly who cares? More Class of 2013 grads ended up unemployed or underemployed than those who obtained a legal job. Not biglaw or a federal clerkship, any paid position in the legal field. Even with a full tuition scholarship (which OP doesn't have), I'd avoid Hastings like the plague.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:04 pm

pamphleteer wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:None of the above will give you a good shot at california big law, but of those options I'd take Hastings. Its ranked much lower than some of the others, but it has a good reputation in California. I'm also from California and many attorneys, especially the older ones, I've spoken to seem to regard it very highly - much higher than I'd expect.

I agree that Hastings seems to have a reputation in the Bay Area that far outstrips its ranking but it doesn't seem to be translating into even reasonable job prospects so honestly who cares? More Class of 2013 grads ended up unemployed or underemployed than those who obtained a legal job. Not biglaw or a federal clerkship, any paid position in the legal field. Even with a full tuition scholarship (which OP doesn't have), I'd avoid Hastings like the plague.

I agree that Hastings is not a good outcome, but of the options OP has, I just think its the best one.

GunnerBingo

Postby GunnerBingo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:16 pm

pamphleteer wrote:

The Hastings career counselor claims the numbers are up to 65% full time JD required employment 9 months out for the upcoming reporting year. Hastings should see further improvement as the market improves and the smaller class sizes graduate (Hastings recently moved from a class size of 400+ to 300-325).

Hastings isn't the greatest option for biglaw, but it can be done. Also, Hastings can put you in a great position if you establish an early niche that is marketable. Science background-IP is ideal, but my friends who took tax 1L year and demonstrated tax interest all exceeded their stats at OCI. My friends who worked in government doing energy work 1L summer also exceeded their numbers in terms of big law with energy practices and well-paying energy boutiques.

Basically, Hastings won't get you a job, but the reputation is such that if you make yourself marketable, employers will want to hire you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”