BC vs. Temple vs. St. John's

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

BC
32%
Temple
18%
St. John's
50%

Total votes: 34

chuckbass

Re: BC vs. Temple vs. St. John's

Postby chuckbass » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:37 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
Rigo wrote:
IChaseAmbulances wrote: With a 15k scholly to me this is a no brainer.

Nah.

Even with 15K per year, OP would still be going into $200K of debt at BC. Not a smart, sustainable idea if you want to work at a small firm doing family law.

Have you tried leveraging the St. Johns offer to get more $$$ at Temple? Temple's a peer school (also tier 2). I'm warning you though, the Philly legal market it s dumpster-fire.

You're giving good advice now but killed it at the end offering your thoughts on a market with which you're not familiar. The Philly legal market isn't any more of a dumpster fire than other secondary markets.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Rigo wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:You're certainly doing a great job advertising for BC.

Sarcasm?

Yes, and surely directed at these weirdos coming out of the woodwork.

If I was considering BC (which I'm not) the fact that all these students coming to bat for the school by demeaning someone who has "underperformed" by their standards just goes to show that I would not want to attend there.

Let's bully someone for their opinion and good advice (for pretty much any school below T14 where taking $15k towards tuition is risky), and show the OP how awesome BC is by our overwhelmingly curt behavior. Yep, that's the way to show school pride and win the hearts of all collegiate-environment-seeking OL's everywhere. Great Job!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:41 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
Rigo wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Sarcasm?

If I was considering BC (which I'm not) the fact that all these students coming to bat for the school by demeaning someone who has "underperformed" by their standards just goes to show that I would not want to attend there.

Let's bully someone for their opinion and good advice (for pretty much any school below T14 where taking $15k towards tuition is risky), and show the OP how awesome BC is by our overwhelmingly curt behavior. Yep, that's the way to show school pride and win the hearts of all collegiate-environment-seeking OL's everywhere. Great Job!

The problem is, you're seeing bluelotus in her most reasonable moments on TLS. Even though you're not considering BC, if you're making judgments based off of current students when deciding what school to attend, make sure you get the full picture.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:48 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:The problem is, you're seeing bluelotus in her most reasonable moments on TLS. Even though you're not considering BC, if you're making judgments based off of current students when deciding what school to attend, make sure you get the full picture.

True, but as someone with an outsider's perspective, it doesn't look good to bash ppl and can cast a negative pall on the school, even if the arguments against that person are all true. Regardless, yeah you shouldn't base your choice of school on student drama, esp. when you don't know all of the factors.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:06 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
Rigo wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Sarcasm?

The prevailing mindset of folks like IChaseAmbulances is precisely why I dislike the climate of the school. Of course, my main beef with BC is its high price tag and LST score.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:02 pm

God, is everyone who goes to BC just completely pathetic? I wouldn't want to be associated with any of the BC people I've seen in this thread

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:29 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:God, is everyone who goes to BC just completely pathetic? I wouldn't want to be associated with any of the BC people I've seen in this thread

Yes.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:30 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
The Dark Shepard wrote:God, is everyone who goes to BC just completely pathetic? I wouldn't want to be associated with any of the BC people I've seen in this thread

Yes.

That includes you, you realize

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:32 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Yes.

That includes you, you realize

Law school has made me pathetic. I mourn for the person I was in undergrad.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:58 pm

BlueLotus wrote:

Yes.

No.

I interned with a 2L from BC during my 1L placement, and we were office mates. He was a cool dude, got hired FTLT, and then when I was hired at the same place the following year FTLT, he actually emailed me out of the blue to say congrats and that he was happy for me.

Anyway back to the OP: does St. John's have any meaningful opportunities for someone wanting to go into family law? I know it as more of a prosecutor school, and a school that tends to place in Queens/LI. I'm happy to see they've scaled back the ridiculous stips they used to have on their schollies, but you might want to look more into its placement in family law (which is mainly in small / solo firms).

Or, just retake and enjoy your extra year of freedom before the law school grind sets in. You can see in this thread what it does to (some) people.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:06 pm

sd5289 wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:

Yes.

No.

I interned with a 2L from BC during my 1L placement, and we were office mates. He was a cool dude, got hired FTLT, and then when I was hired at the same place the following year FTLT, he actually emailed me out of the blue to say congrats and that he was happy for me.

Anyway back to the OP: does St. John's have any meaningful opportunities for someone wanting to go into family law? I know it as more of a prosecutor school, and a school that tends to place in Queens/LI. I'm happy to see they've scaled back the ridiculous stips they used to have on their schollies, but you might want to look more into its placement in family law (which is mainly in small / solo firms).

Or, just retake and enjoy your extra year of freedom before the law school grind sets in. You can see in this thread what it does to (some) people.

This is the credited response.

Seriously, the Vale has fucked with my self-esteem/mental health in ways I would never have imagined. OP, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to avoid this predicament BEFORE law school by giving the LSAT your best shot and reapplying to get better scholarships/into national schools. I am looking at public interest fellowships with living stipends that amount to not much higher than minimum wage. If it weren't for a supportive family law school would have left me in financial ruin. I should be a cautionary tale.

whatamidoing

Postby whatamidoing » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:14 pm

If by "everyone" you mean the two people who briefly sparred, I think you need a larger sample size to judge a whole student population. Although I don't see why a private message or something wasn't sufficient, one law student had beef with another law student. That's not really a situation distinct to any particular law school. I just consider it my entertainment for the day.

I feel like OP is loooong gone, but a huge source of confusion is whether you are willing to consider big law. If the answer is yes, in my opinion it's worth trying to leverage more money from BC, then rolling the dice on big law. I don't see big law on the horizon from Temple or St. John's. If you're still set on family law, I agree with the majority that St. John's is for you. I'm going the small firm route and I think a school like St. John's would have sufficed for that.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:29 pm

I go to BC. No, my experience has been that the law school as a whole is not pathetic. I've enjoyed my time here. You'd also be lying to yourself that you won't find pathetic people at any school you go to. I would say the vast majority of people at BC are happy with their decision to come, including me. I'm a 2L, and most people I know have a summer position (not necessarily in biglaw). Surprisingly, most of my friends have a job outside of boston (NYC, Portland, jersey, Philly etc.). The 75% full time bar required job rate seems to be accurate, and it may even be higher for the '16 class. I wouldn't put too much stock into a couple people on this thread. I would seek out BC students in real life and perhaps you'll get a more accurate picture.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:36 pm

skri65 wrote:

I go to BC. No, my experience has been that the law school as a whole is not pathetic. I've enjoyed my time here. You'd also be lying to yourself that you won't find pathetic people at any school you go to. I would say the vast majority of people at BC are happy with their decision to come, including me. I'm a 2L, and most people I know have a summer position (not necessarily in biglaw). Surprisingly, most of my friends have a job outside of boston (NYC, Portland, jersey, Philly etc.). The 75% full time bar required job rate seems to be accurate, and it may even be higher for the '16 class. I wouldn't put too much stock into a couple people on this thread. I would seek out BC students in real life and perhaps you'll get a more accurate picture.

This is not really a useful metric, TBH. Of course virtually all 2Ls find a summer position. Anyone can find a legal employer willing to take on some free labor/indentured servitude for the summer. The question is whether those summer internships lead to FTLT positions.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:27 am

BlueLotus wrote:
skri65 wrote:

This is not really a useful metric, TBH. Of course virtually all 2Ls find a summer position. Anyone can find a legal employer willing to take on some free labor/indentured servitude for the summer. The question is whether those summer internships lead to FTLT positions.

Sure, I should have clarified. I intended for it to mean positions that lead to FTLT work. My experience has been close to what the stats say--about 3/4 of the people I know. Most people have a good gig. Some don't. Those that don't are obviously not happy.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:34 am

I'm not saying bc at sticker either, but bluelotus your hatred of your school is a little irrational

Serett

Postby Serett » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 am

Serett wrote:Ideally, PM an administrator to ask for a username change, and retake.

Otherwise, St. John's.

Mods plz lock dumpster fire and change TC's name to lawschoollater, thank you.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I'm not saying bc at sticker either, but bluelotus your hatred of your school is a little irrational

I don't understand the recent backlash against me on TLS. I'm not saying anything particularly controversial. I'm just asserting that BC at sticker (or anything close to it) is terribly risky. This is nothing more than TLS conventional wisdom.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:44 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I'm not saying bc at sticker either, but bluelotus your hatred of your school is a little irrational

I don't understand the recent backlash against me on TLS. I'm not saying anything particularly controversial. I'm just asserting that BC at sticker (or anything close to it) is terribly risky. This is nothing more than TLS conventional wisdom.

I'd agree with you there (and unlike that guy who made an account just to yell at you, I have nothing against you or anything) but I do think BC as a TTT is hyperbolic, and in other threads you're pretty over the top in your desire to avoid any association with the place.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 pm

El Pollito wrote:blue lotus never not demonstrating her mental fitness to return to law

I came for the Temple and found myself in a bagels and lox buffet of TLS excitement. Is there a BlueLotus 101 thread to catch up to speed on their issues with BC?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue May 05, 2015 8:16 am

storpappa wrote:
El Pollito wrote:blue lotus never not demonstrating her mental fitness to return to law

I came for the Temple and found myself in a bagels and lox buffet of TLS excitement. Is there a BlueLotus 101 thread to catch up to speed on their issues with BC?

My "issues" with BC is that it's overpriced and certainly not worth sticker. Nothing more than TLS conventional wisdom.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue May 05, 2015 8:42 am

Serett wrote:
Serett wrote:Ideally, PM an administrator to ask for a username change, and retake.

Otherwise, St. John's.

Mods plz lock dumpster fire and change TC's name to lawschoollater, thank you.

:lol:

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:25 am

Can't believe I missed this.

Anyway, lunatic or otherwise, BL is absolutely right in this thread. If they threw money around like WUSTL it would be one thing, but they don't. This is way too much debt for a regional school.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue May 05, 2015 1:51 pm

cron1834 wrote:Can't believe I missed this.

Anyway, lunatic or otherwise, BL is absolutely right in this thread. If they threw money around like WUSTL it would be one thing, but they don't. This is way too much debt for a regional school.

Nothing lunatic about being debt-averse. Again, I just don't get the severe backlash against me ITT.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:11 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Can't believe I missed this.

Nothing lunatic about being debt-averse. Again, I just don't get the severe backlash against me ITT.

Because you act like a lunatic, that's why. I just agreed with you, and you still felt the need to act like a victim. The lunatic comments were obviously a reference to stuff outside this thread. Obviously BC isn't worth six figures of debt--I'm agreeing with you ITT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”