Northwestern full ride vs UVA full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA, UChicago, or Northwestern

UVA
66%
UChicago
10%
Northwestern
24%

Total votes: 80

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Re: Northwestern full ride vs UVA full ride

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Yeah I haven't been following this cycle but my friends who are say UVA is diving into a different strategy.

Apparently they overextended themselves with Dillards though and are now out of money.
Probably won't be another WUSTL huge class situation (crazy), but I'm interested to see class profiles come fall.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:42 pm

UVA's 1L class is like 64% men so maybe they're trying to get more women?

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 pm

OP getting a Dillard with your numbers is an amazing option
same with full ride to Northwestern
Just choose whether you want to live in Charlottesville or Chicago

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Visit both (well, Charlottesville) if you can.

smile0751

Postby smile0751 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Thank you all for the input!

I've had the full ride to UVA since January, but only recently received the full ride to Northwestern. I was pretty much entirely set on UVA, until northwestern put up such good numbers. It would just be so easy to attend northwestern. I wouldn't even have to change apartments and could stay closer to family!! And looking into coordinating the move to CVille is already such a headache! But then again, that's probably me being lazy. I wanted to hear objective opinions on the choice based on my end goals.

hillz

Postby hillz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Rigo wrote:Visit both (well, Charlottesville) if you can.

Definitely agree with this. I think some of this has to come down to personal fit. You may get to Cville and realize that you hate it. Comfort should play a part in your decision.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Post removed.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Mullens wrote:UVA's 1L class is like 64% men so maybe they're trying to get more women?

LOL seriously? Aren't most schools like 50-50? How the fuck did they get 64% males? Is it the stereotype (fratty southern kids?)

I think you should pick on preference IMO, because it's going to be hard to get DC out of both schools.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:06 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
Mullens wrote:UVA's 1L class is like 64% men so maybe they're trying to get more women?

LOL seriously? Aren't most schools like 50-50? How the fuck did they get 64% males? Is it the stereotype (fratty southern kids?)

I think you should pick on preference IMO, because it's going to be hard to get DC out of both schools.

DC is one of UVA's main markets!

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Clearly wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:

DC is one of UVA's main markets!

Same with many of the T-14....you still need good grades

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 am

Do you have ties to Boston or DC? If you don't have ties to Boston you aren't getting it from either school, and to a lesser extent if you don't have ties to DC it will also be significantly harder from either school.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:46 am

Not moving for ls is advantageous. I'd stay in Chi if I were you. Chicago to Charlottesville for 3 years seems backwards to me. If you get great grades at either school you can clerk and then work in D.C.. If you dont get great grades, your exit options are basically the same between schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:54 am

Personal preference. Seems as if you're very comfortable in Chicago & aren't seeking a change of scenery. Since you'd be satisfied with a Chicago after law school, Northwestern looks like a great option.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 pm

OP you have a 3.9 in Econ. Work for the Fed Reserve in NY. Or retake lsat. Go to Harvard Law with scholarship.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Go to Harvard Law with scholarship.

Harvard aid is solely need-based. Are you calling OP poor?

And this OP doesn't need to retake. Don't turn "retake!" into the boy who cried wolf, guys.

smile0751

Postby smile0751 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:OP you have a 3.9 in Econ. Work for the Fed Reserve in NY. Or retake lsat. Go to Harvard Law with scholarship.

That's fairly close to what I have been doing these last two years.

I thought Harvard didnt give merit aid, so my LSAT score wouldnt matter? I took the LSAT twice--the second time I was waking up 5am each day to get in practice problems and was PTing at 173ish. Probably should have retaken, but I was working 70+ hours a week and didnt have the strength. Also, I didnt realize a lower score wouldnt harm my application. I know weak answer, but it is what it is.

I appreciate all the "personal preference" responses. That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping TLS would take a "well duh, the obvious answer is X" and make my decision a bit easier. As is, I have now decided to focus on two questions which I think should lead me to my answer. 1) Do I want to stay in the Midwest? 2) Do I want a more professional or more collegiate educational environment?

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Apology, I thought H gave merit like the rest of schools, even though you were pt'ing higher doesn't sound like it would help your situation. If your doing work like the fedreserve and want to make the change I say go for it. Both are great schools, can't go wrong unless you're dying for Chicago, then NU is TCR.

smile0751 wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:OP you have a 3.9 in Econ. Work for the Fed Reserve in NY. Or retake lsat. Go to Harvard Law with scholarship.

I thought Harvard didnt give merit aid, so my LSAT score wouldnt matter? I took the LSAT twice--the second time I was waking up 5am each day to get in practice problems and was PTing at 173ish. Probably should have retaken, but I was working 70+ hours a week and didnt have the strength. Also, I didnt realize a lower score wouldnt harm my application. I know weak answer, but it is what it is.

I appreciate all the "personal preference" responses. That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping TLS would take a "well duh, the obvious answer is X" and make my decision a bit easier. As is, I have now decided to focus on two questions which I think should lead me to my answer. 1) Do I want to stay in the Midwest? 2) Do I want a more professional or more collegiate educational environment?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:58 am

I'm going to DC biglaw from NU. PM me if you want specifics.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 am

smile0751 wrote:

I think you've focused in on the right questions. When visiting UVA, the student body definitely does seem young and the school's vibe reflects that. The people you run into at Northwestern will have worked in professional jobs for much longer than UVA students and be older. I haven't visited Northwestern, but during my alumni interview, the recent alum who was interviewing me did stress that Northwestern students were more professional and mature than I would find at other top law schools. His thought was that it made his law school experience more enjoyable as he didn't think the older students stressed out about school as other places and brought more unique perspectives to classroom discussions. I think if you know which student body you'd prefer, it will make your choice much easier. And, of course, the location is important as well but it's a bit easier to see the differences there. Chicago and Charlottesville are extremely different.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

I think you've focused in on the right questions. When visiting UVA, the student body definitely does seem young and the school's vibe reflects that. The people you run into at Northwestern will have worked in professional jobs for much longer than UVA students and be older. I haven't visited Northwestern, but during my alumni interview, the recent alum who was interviewing me did stress that Northwestern students were more professional and mature than I would find at other top law schools. His thought was that it made his law school experience more enjoyable as he didn't think the older students stressed out about school as other places and brought more unique perspectives to classroom discussions. I think if you know which student body you'd prefer, it will make your choice much easier. And, of course, the location is important as well but it's a bit easier to see the differences there. Chicago and Charlottesville are extremely different.

I can second that the mature atmosphere is definitely a defining character. As a transfer from a school with a younger population, to Northwestern, the difference was night and day. I really like both schools, but the maturity at Northwestern seemed to cultivate a less stressful environment. This could also be because I'm not a 1L at northwestern atm... so grain of salt.

DELG

Postby DELG » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 am

DC isn't guaranteed from anywhere so I would stay in Chicago. If you get DC grades, DC won't snub you.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”