Can I justify going?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choice

Go to Chicago this year
80%
do not go to Chicago, but Penn if Silverman
10%
take a couple years off, unlikely to find significant employment
10%

Total votes: 10

Idoneus

Can I justify going?

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Removed
Last edited by Idoneus on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

malleus discentium

Re: Can I justify going?

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:03 pm

With those numbers, why are Chicago and Penn your only options?

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:06 pm

With those numbers, you should have either full rides at the lower t14 or at least some $ from the t10.

I know it's the party line on TLS, but I strongly recommend sitting out a cycle, retaking, and applying to more of the full t14 (or at least more than Chicago/Penn).

If you can get better than a 173, than do it. That's nothing to sneeze at, but at that range every point up can mean serious difference in admissions/scholarships

Some W/E also couldn't hurt your chances. Strong GPA, some W/E, and a very superior LSAT score - apply to a bunch of the t14, watch the money offers roll in, and then NEGOTIATE to get your dream school at a bargain.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 pm

I almost always recommend retaking if you think you can score higher. You're options aren't necessarily bad. But getting your preferred destination, Seattle, is unlikely from either Penn or Chicago. And if you do strike out, you're going to be hurting because you don't have as many protections with those private loans (though the lower interest rate is nice).

You could be in a much better position with a 175 and a couple years of work experience. Its hard to see how you'd be in a worse spot.

Chicago and Penn aren't suicide at those prices. But I think you can do better.

Idoneus

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Removed

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:10 pm

What is your major in? Why in the hell are you going to law school?

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:10 pm

You have amazing numbers and your K-JD status is holding you back. My advice would be to take some time off, work (in Seattle would be ideal if you really want to land there), travel, and just enjoy your life.

It is (almost) never a bad idea to take time off between undergrad and law school.

Disclaimer: 0L. Although I took a gap year and I'm really happy that I did!

Idoneus

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Removed

Idoneus

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Removed

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Idoneus wrote:Another part of my fear of reapplying is that the schools where year off and maybe a point or two on LSAT could potentially get me a full ride to (presumably) rejected me due to YP as likely as inadequacy. If that is the case how will making my application stronger increase my odds?

show them lots of love. write essays, volunteer to interview with whomever, visit if you can afford it, etc.

Idoneus

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Removed
Last edited by Idoneus on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Idoneus wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:With those numbers, why are Chicago and Penn your only options?

WL at Harvard (although very unwilling to pay sticker anyways), rejected at YS, Columbia has me on hold, NYU offered less than Chicago and did not grant appeal, UVA, Duke, Michigan, Berkeley WL me (honestly do not know why I did not apply to Northwestern), personal reasons to not want Cornell.

I think the lack of strong offers from mid T14 schools is partly due to me being Canadian heightening YP fears.

FWIW, HLS's LRAP isn't tied to the federal program, so it might be available for international students (which I infer is why you say you're ineligible). If PI is something you're interested in, and you get off H's WL, it's something to consider.
Otherwise, yeah, I suggest you take a year off. You should be getting more money with those numbers (since, I believe, Canadian GPAs count for USNWR). It's probably WE that's holding you back, and getting some will be very helpful for you. And Seattle is the quintessential insular market. Getting it even from HYS will be hard, so you should consider that in your decision.
As for retaking, it probably wouldn't hurt but the odds that it will help are also small.

Idoneus

Postby Idoneus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Removed

Return to “Choosing a Law School”