Columbia v Berkeley v USC sanity check

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dixiecupdrinking

Re: Columbia v Berkeley v USC sanity check

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:55 am

If you're dead set on California biglaw and you have no ties to CA, I'd take Berkeley. CLS has always had an exaggerated reputation on these forums but it's not going to impress California firms enough to overcome no ties.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am

Do not let your parents sell investments that they need for retirement or that would lower their standard of living to go to law school. This is such a boomer thing to do and it's a bad move.

I'd probably do UCB here. 50K in debt at that level is no laughing matter, it's basically an extra year in biglaw right around the time you'll likely be getting pushed out/sick of it. If not biglaw, then you'll need to get a PSLF qualifying job anyway.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:48 pm

jumbo.shrimp wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jumbo.shrimp wrote:I am originally from NY, and I can't take it here anymore.

What kind of ties do you have to California?

I lived and worked there for a few years after high school and before college. So, I have lots of friends both in SoCal and SF area. Plus, some extended family there as well. I understand that job opportunities are better on the East Coast, but family-wise/having children etc, I think CA is the best.

Want west-coast big law + CA ties are fairly weak + B is $50k cheaper than C = go to Boalt.

Seriously, why is this even a question?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
jumbo.shrimp wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jumbo.shrimp wrote:I am originally from NY, and I can't take it here anymore.

What kind of ties do you have to California?

I lived and worked there for a few years after high school and before college. So, I have lots of friends both in SoCal and SF area. Plus, some extended family there as well. I understand that job opportunities are better on the East Coast, but family-wise/having children etc, I think CA is the best.

Want west-coast big law + CA ties are fairly weak + B is $50k cheaper than C = go to Boalt.

Seriously, why is this even a question?

Because Boalttt is still going to cost him 170k............and he will probably hate practicing as a lawyer

I say USC and don't do biglaw

Your parents shouldn't have to pay for your terrible life decisions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”