(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Chicago ($) vs. Berkeley/SLS/CLS/HLS (sticker)

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:26 am

Of course. you should inform Chicago of your Harvard & Stanford acceptances.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 am

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:Thanks everyone for your thoughtful opinions!

Two follow-up questions:
1) Would it make sense to let Chicago / CLS know that I have been admitted to S / H during fin aid negotiations?

I let CLS know that (tactfully trying to suggest that since I should get some need-based aid at H, whether CLS could up the offer to account for the disparity) and it was a total non-starter. Honestly, it can't hurt to try if you're seriously considering Chicago/CLS, but given your predilection for the Bay Area why isn't Stanford the clear winner? If you've never lived in the NE and are from the Bay, make sure you can really tolerate the cold before you decide on HCC.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:04 am

kartelite wrote:I let CLS know that (tactfully trying to suggest that since I should get some need-based aid at H, whether CLS could up the offer to account for the disparity) and it was a total non-starter. Honestly, it can't hurt to try if you're seriously considering Chicago/CLS, but given your predilection for the Bay Area why isn't Stanford the clear winner? If you've never lived in the NE and are from the Bay, make sure you can really tolerate the cold before you decide on HCC.

Thanks for letting me know!

I'm leaning towards SLS pretty heavily at the moment (assuming that costs aren't going to change), but I also want to make sure that I'm doing my diligence regarding the debt involved. If I can get a good deal through negotiations from CLS / Chicago, I would take a harder look at them to see if I can get an equitable experience for my goals relative to SLS at a discounted price tag.

Re living in the NE - I actually work in Boston right now, so I'm perfectly aware of how downright terrible the weather can be. Part of my reasoning for working here after college was to test the cold prior to applying to law school.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 am

How long did you spend studying for the lsat and how many did you miss on each section when you scored the 170?

zaetoroftheprotoss

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:52 am

Clyde Frog wrote:How long did you spend studying for the lsat and how many did you miss on each section when you scored the 170?

I spent ~2 months studying about 4 to 5 hours a day and then ~1 month studying about 1 to 2 hours a day (once I started my current job); I also took 2 to 3 PTs. I was originally planning on taking it again in December, but my workload increased to where I could only get a few hours of studying in on Saturday / Sunday. I can't remember specifics but I think I missed the most on LR (particularly at the end due to timing issues) and did quite well on LG / RC.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:How long did you spend studying for the lsat and how many did you miss on each section when you scored the 170?

I spent ~2 months studying about 4 to 5 hours a day and then ~1 month studying about 1 to 2 hours a day (once I started my current job); I also took 2 to 3 PTs. I was originally planning on taking it again in December, but my workload increased to where I could only get a few hours of studying in on Saturday / Sunday. I can't remember specifics but I think I missed the most on LR (particularly at the end due to timing issues) and did quite well on LG / RC.

From reading this I would suggest a retake. 3 months isn't long enough for most people to study for the LSAT, and the fact that you had timing issues suggests you weren't ready. Work might be time consuming, but I think you haven't even come close to your full potential on the LSAT. Retaking was the best decision I've ever made, don't lose out on a Ruby or Yale.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:

From reading this I would suggest a retake. 3 months isn't long enough for most people to study for the LSAT, and the fact that you had timing issues suggests you weren't ready. Work might be time consuming, but I think you haven't even come close to your full potential on the LSAT. Retaking was the best decision I've ever made, don't lose out on a Ruby or Yale.

What the fuck? 6 weeks is more than enough time for people to study, let alone 3 months, unless you have the intellect of a chimp. There's a limited number of practice tests out there anyway. That said, all of these options are terrible, and you're better off betting your money on blackjack in Vegas. So, IMO, gambling your money away/joining a monastery>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>retaking LSAT with intention of going to law school>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>going to law school with these options.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:56 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:IMO, gambling your money away/joining a monastery>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>retaking LSAT with intention of going to law school>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>going to law school with these options.

Thanks for your input.

Anyways, my point was from hearing the situation, I think OP could do better on the LSAT with some more work, more PTs, and by fixing his timing issues. That's my vote

Return to “Choosing a Law School”