Alabama ($) - Ohio State ($$) - Tennessee ($$$$) - Retake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MotionToStrike

Alabama ($) - Ohio State ($$) - Tennessee ($$$$) - Retake?

Postby MotionToStrike » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:54 pm

About me: reverse splitter, 158 LSAT, 3.90 GPA. Only took the LSAT once and was expecting higher, but I know I could have studied harder for it.

I want to go in to civil litigation law. I hope to get a job in Atlanta or Nashville, something in the southern region. Vandy would obviously be the best option for me, but it wasn't realistic financially with my stats.

Bama: 12k/yr for 36k tuition, conditional on top 50% of the class.
OSU: 16k/yr for 28k tuition (instate because of spouse), no conditions.
UT: 15k/yr on 18k tuition

Thoughts/opinions?

exitoptions

Re: Alabama ($) - Ohio State ($$) - Tennessee ($$$$) - Retake?

Postby exitoptions » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:56 pm

MotionToStrike wrote:About me: reverse splitter, 158 LSAT, 3.90 GPA. Only took the LSAT once and was expecting higher, but I know I could have studied harder for it.

I want to go in to civil litigation law. I hope to get a job in Atlanta or Nashville, something in the southern region. Vandy would obviously be the best option for me, but it wasn't realistic financially with my stats.

Thoughts/opinions?

If you can improve 8-10 points you can go to Vandy for free. Do it.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Definitely retake if you think you can do better.

If you didn't think you could do better I think Tenn. would be fine. But that depends on exactly what you mean when you say you want to do civil litigation.

PS: remember that there will be tuition increases while you're in law school.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Retake and reapply early next cycle. You can at least get a 5 point increase, which will be HUGE in terms of scholarship dollars and opportunities.

If I were you I would absolutely retake and wait... plus applications are likely to be down again next cycle. More gravy for you.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:54 am

MotionToStrike wrote:About me: reverse splitter, 158 LSAT, 3.90 GPA. Only took the LSAT once and was expecting higher, but I know I could have studied harder for it.

Thoughts/opinions?

Please describe your LSAT study regimen.

Tenn for cheap is not a terrible idea if you want to stay in TN, but you would take yourself out of the running for a lot of the more elite/well-paying jobs and you can do so much better with an extra couple points.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:05 pm

exitoptions wrote:8-10 points you can go to Vandy for free. Do it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Take the test again

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Retake. I doubt that Tenn, or Ohio State will get you Atlanta.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 am

Retake is the easy answer here. Do not waste that GPA. 158 can be easily improved.

Atlanta - from Bama or UT, you will need to literally be in the top 5 students (not %) and have everything just fall right into place for you. You do not want to gamble on those odds.

Nashville - almost as difficult as ATL to crack. Do not bother with Bama or OSU if you want Nashville. From UT, you will need to be top 10-15% for a shot at a firm job. The small 2-3 man shops usually just hire Nashville SOL grads that interned, were paralegals there, or nepotism grad. Especially difficult if you are not from Nashville or at least TN.

Where are you from?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Thoughts/opinions?

absolutely need to retake. those are two of the hardest markets to crack in the whole country. Ten more points (very, very attainable) and you're looking at big, big money from Vandy, which is the best school for your goals (other than Duke, which will also be an option w/ a 168+). Work for a few years, save up some COL money, and get the score you need.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”