ND / W&M / BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GoBills

ND / W&M / BC

Postby GoBills » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Ok so here is my present situation:

ND (27k per yr)
W&M (28k per yr)
BC (22k per yr)

Family will be paying my housing costs, leaving me on my own for tuition/books/misc. living expenses.

GPA - 3.85
LSAT - 163 (159 first, canceled, then 163)

Leaning toward PI, but I'd like to eventually end up in Western NY, where there aren't exactly a ton of PI jobs available so I'm open to pursuing other areas of the law as well.

My concern is that W&M might not have enough of a national rep to get me back into my area, whereas the cost of ND is just too high? Also not sure if I'd even be able to retake considering I've technically taken 3x already. Other option would be attending SUNY Buffalo for <10k per yr but I'd really like to live elsewhere for school.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

prodigal.daughter

Re: ND / W&M / BC

Postby prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:49 pm

I was in a somewhat similar situation, so I can weigh in with things that I considered.

First off, if you're really dedicated to PI in Western NY, then you might want to focus on keeping ties there. SUNY Buff might be a great option to consider, but if you really want to go elsewhere, then that's understandable, but I'd make sure you try to do a summer or something in WNY to continue building ties. I mean, this is assuming you have some ties already, beyond your football team. (; If you don't have any other ties to WNY, you might really want to seriously consider UB.

I think it is pretty widely accepted that ND has a much better alumni network than W&M does; you're right to have some concern about reach. I'm not sure I'd say either program has a particularly strong national reputation, so much as I'd say ND has an alumni network that is ferociously loyal. You'll have a better chance at making the connections that could really help you get a job (and internships, etc) if you go to ND.

BUT, ND at that price is a huge pill to swallow for someone who plans to go into PI. They've got a good LRAP program, but that assumes you get a qualifying job right off the bat. Saving money and going to W&M might be the best choice, honestly. You can make up for the alumni network by spending summers in WNY and really networking on your own.

BC doesn't seem like as much of a contender to me, but that's because I'm biased against the ridiculous COL for the Boston area. Since you're not interested in the Boston market, I don't think you'll really miss out by being in the smaller communities.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

None of these schools really make sense IMO. You'll have a good chunk of debt and be gunning for a hard to get job somewhere where none of these schools really place. You don't just go to law school, put in 3 years, and then get a job when you graduate because of the name on your diploma. It's not that easy. If you want to get a PI job you're going to most likely have to intern during the school year, make contacts, etc. and it's impossible to do that when you're halfway across the country. No one is going to be all that impressed a ND or W&M degree, whatever opening they have is going to go to the kid from the local school who developed a relationship with them.

I think if you're really dedicated to PI in NY then you need to go to a local school.

But then you'll probably say you're open to other stuff. But what does that other stuff look like? These schools don't have very good big law placement, and beyond big law they largely place into regional markets that you don't have a connection to. There's a good chance you'll lose out to the local kids there too.

I think you'll need to acquire some more geographic focus before law school makes sense.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:None of these schools really make sense IMO. You'll have a good chunk of debt and be gunning for a hard to get job somewhere where none of these schools really place. You don't just go to law school, put in 3 years, and then get a job when you graduate because of the name on your diploma. It's not that easy. If you want to get a PI job you're going to most likely have to intern during the school year, make contacts, etc. and it's impossible to do that when you're halfway across the country. No one is going to be all that impressed a ND or W&M degree, whatever opening they have is going to go to the kid from the local school who developed a relationship with them.

I think if you're really dedicated to PI in NY then you need to go to a local school.

But then you'll probably say you're open to other stuff. But what does that other stuff look like? These schools don't have very good big law placement, and beyond big law they largely place into regional markets that you don't have a connection to. There's a good chance you'll lose out to the local kids there too.

I think you'll need to acquire some more geographic focus before law school makes sense.

Agreed. BC was singlehandedly the worst life decision I've ever made, and I have similar goals and had similar #s as you, OP. I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and getting into a national (read: T14) school.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:30 pm

SUNY Buffalo seems like the best option here, honestly. The cost of attending ND is going to saddle you with a TON of debt. Doesn't seem reasonable to take on all of that debt given your career goals.

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Out of these three, BC is a decent option for Western NY. Did you look into Syracuse? You may get some $$ from Cuse, and possibly a free ride. Cuse would be a solid choice given your aspirations.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:23 pm

MODS PLS

Return to “Choosing a Law School”