Fordham more than half ride, vs Cardozo full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cocotruffles

Fordham more than half ride, vs Cardozo full ride

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:18 am

Last edited by cocotruffles on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jloubriel26

Re: Fordham more than half ride, vs Cardozo full ride

Postby Jloubriel26 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 am

There is absolutely no merit to having a high LSAT and getting good grades during 1L. I know many students who have 170+ LSATS who are below median, and those students with subpar LSAT's who are in the top 10 percent.

The LSAT is a standardized test, which means that you can learn the ins and outs of the exam. However, Is NYU or Columbia not a possibility for you?

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 am

you underperformed, I wouldn't go to either you should have better options.

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am

Jloubriel26 wrote:There is absolutely no merit to having a high LSAT and getting good grades during 1L. I know many students who have 170+ LSATS who are below median, and those students with subpar LSAT's who are in the top 10 percent.

The LSAT is a standardized test, which means that you can learn the ins and outs of the exam. However, Is NYU or Columbia not a possibility for you?

I hear that. I applied to NYU as they are the strongest in tax law, I still haven't heard, but even if I'm accepted, the debt would be huge.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:39 am

fratstar1 wrote:you underperformed, I wouldn't go to either you should have better options.

This. Didn't you apply to any schools outside of nyc?

Paying nearly half price for Fordham with that lsat should be a crime

Edit: just saw the part about living in nyc

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 am

Clemenceau wrote:
fratstar1 wrote:you underperformed, I wouldn't go to either you should have better options.

I can't go out of NYC as my spouse has a solid job here. I tried to get Fordham to up their offer and they said my gpa was too low for more..

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 am

go to cornell or something and say hi to the spouse on the weekends they'll thank you when your successful.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:50 am

cocotruffles wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I can't go out of NYC as my spouse has a solid job here. I tried to get Fordham to up their offer and they said my gpa was too low for more..
cocotruffles wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I agree. Hopefully, you hear the good news from NYU, albeit with little money. Your options will be far greater. Your numbers are way too solid. Wait out this year, if you don't like the finances. If your'e considering Cardozo with a 171, heck, apply to Brooklyn as well.

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 am

BasilHallward wrote:
cocotruffles wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

cocotruffles wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I agree. Hopefully, you hear the good news from NYU, albeit with little money. Your options will be far greater. Your numbers are way too solid. Wait out this year, if you don't like the finances. If your'e considering Cardozo with a 171, heck, apply to Brooklyn as well.

Here's my question. They NYU offer would be amazing and super tempting. But, if I didn't want biglaw, isn't it kind of the worst situation? I'm not interested in PI either. So if I took a govt job, or financial institution job, wouldn't the NYU debt be unjustifiable?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:56 am

So your alternatives are exclusively NYU and Columbia next cycle? Man, that's a tough one. How MAF will you be if you end up in the bottom 80% and have to leave because you lose your scholarship? How MAF will you be if you don't get biglaw or government?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am

I'd probably go to Cardozo for free. The accounting degree will def help you. If you take the CPA exams and become CPA eligible, you should find something. If you don't you can use the 60k of debt you would get from Fordham and use that on NYU LLM instead. For close to the same debt as Fordham, your employment odds are as high as you could get in any situation, especially with 2 or 3 cracks at the employment apple.

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:I'd probably go to Cardozo for free. The accounting degree will def help you. If you take the CPA exams and become CPA eligible, you should find something. If you don't you can use the 60k of debt you would get from Fordham and use that on NYU LLM instead. For close to the same debt as Fordham, your employment odds are as high as you could get in any situation, especially with 2 or 3 cracks at the employment apple.

Definitely something I was considering. They NYU LLM is a great idea..however I guess the added cost is one more year of not working.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

cocotruffles wrote:I am having an incredibly tough time making this decision and appreciate any advice, especially from anyone who has taken a full ride at a lower ranked school..

I received 35K a year from Fordham, full ride from Cardozo, top 80% stipulation.

Stats: 171, 3.47 in Accounting
Interested in tax law, have an interest in big law but also interested in govt. or working at an accounting firm as an attorney. Definitely concerned about work life balance, so that's what makes it tough- if I knew i wanted big law I'd take Fordham, but since I'm not sure it's hard to know if it's worth the debt.
COL is zero for both- I live near NYC and spouse works in NYC (also can't leave NYC for that reason.)
Another factor is I have about 40K in loans for undergrad, so if I took fordham I'd leave with about 100K in debt.
I'm leaning towards Cardozo. Is there merit to the idea that if you are one of the highest LSAT scorers in your class, you are likely to do well?

Thanks for any help!

I took the full ride in a very similar position. Was interested in going into (and am going into) a completely different area of law though. I have no idea how Cardozo places in tax law, but I do know it places very few people in Biglaw.

As for performance, I did well, but I know plenty of people who also scored high who didn't and vice versa. There doesn't really seem to be much of a correlation between LSAT score and GPA.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Are you completely adverse to going to Penn or Cornell and just coming home to see the spouse on weekends?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:13 pm

cocotruffles wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:I'd probably go to Cardozo for free. The accounting degree will def help you. If you take the CPA exams and become CPA eligible, you should find something. If you don't you can use the 60k of debt you would get from Fordham and use that on NYU LLM instead. For close to the same debt as Fordham, your employment odds are as high as you could get in any situation, especially with 2 or 3 cracks at the employment apple.

Definitely something I was considering. They NYU LLM is a great idea..however I guess the added cost is one more year of not working.

Working sucks. Let your girl keep bringing home the money while you focus on making yourself optimally employable.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:17 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:Are you completely adverse to going to Penn or Cornell and just coming home to see the spouse on weekends?

He's saying COL would be $0 in the city, so I think he's trying to avoid tacking on COL debt by going elsewhere.

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I am the girl :) also yes adverse to the seeing spouse on weekends idea.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”