convince me to go to NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Re: convince me to go to NYU

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:42 am

MistakenGenius wrote:And Durham is a way better place to be for three years than that crowded, filthy cesspool that is Manhattan.

you're officially trolling now

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 am

where are people getting this idea that duke is so magical in texas? i'm kind of bewildered. Not only from my own (albeit limited 1L) experience, but you guys realize Durham is about as far away from Texas as San Francisco, right? Chicago is significantly closer. And as an out of stater at UT who has lived in GA and other parts of the country, Texas' culture is not "southern," IMO.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:50 am

I don't see why NYU is the default choice over Penn here. If Penn's cheaper, which with COL it probably would be, it might be the stronger play.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
FlamingDragon wrote:Yes Duke does, it's only matched in south by harvard and yale. You would be insane to not go to Duke. It's numbers are basically the same as NYU. Convo would be different with Stanford, Chicago, or Columbia, maybe, but not nyu. Duke will also be less expensive COL by a long shot, more fun (much better town, place to be for 3 years) etc. etc. and sends a higher percentage to TX.

Lol

This post is pretty spot on so I don't know what you're loling about. In the vast majority of the South, it's Harvard >>> Yale>>Duke>>>>>>everyone else. Its numbers are extremely similar to NYU. It's way better for Texas law. And Durham is a way better place to be for three years than that crowded, filthy cesspool that is Manhattan. I can't speak to the fun element since I believe fun is what you make of it no matter where you are.

But Texans do absolutely adore UT, so that wouldn't be a bad option by any means. But at Duke's cost I still think it would win out.

Well I only bolded the word fun because that's what I was loling at

Durham>nyc for "fun" is a truly mind-bending concept

anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread

NoLieAbility

Postby NoLieAbility » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:where are people getting this idea that duke is so magical in texas?

I was born and raised in Arkansas, close to the Texas border. UT put me in touch with an alumni (with a position from which he hires law school graduates) earlier this cycle. We were talking for a while, and I asked him, "So, is there anything about going to UT that you regret?" He answered, "Nope, I love being a Longhorn. Unless you can go to Harvard or Duke or something, you should come here."

People get the idea that Duke is magical in Texas because of anecdotes like that. If you are raised down here, you hear them a lot. Duke often gets called things like "the Southern Ivy." You hear about other schools, too - Emory, Vandy and Texas spring to mind - but you hear about Duke more often. Or, at least, I have.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:08 am

Nekrowizard wrote:
FlamingDragon wrote:Yes Duke does, it's only matched in south by harvard and yale. You would be insane to not go to Duke. It's numbers are basically the same as NYU. Convo would be different with Stanford, Chicago, or Columbia, maybe, but not nyu. Duke will also be less expensive COL by a long shot, more fun (much better town, place to be for 3 years) etc. etc. and sends a higher percentage to TX.

Yeah, just look at these staggering differences in employment. Seriously, unless it's HYS, just go to Duke.

Side note, there's absolutely no way COL is lower for Columbia than Chicago. That makes no sense.
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:46 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michlaw

Postby michlaw » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:45 am

Duke. NYU is a great law school but I don't think it is as well known nationally as Duke (they in part due to it's basketball team) or Penn. More people know the rankings of the undergrad schools and those rankings follow quite similarly the law school rankings. Top ten undergrad top ten law. Except for NYU. It's undergrad ranking is in the thirties and I think that slightly diminishes it national rep with those who don't realize what a top law school it is.

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 am

michlaw wrote:Duke. NYU is a great law school but I don't think it is as well known nationally as Duke (they in part due to it's basketball team) or Penn. More people know the rankings of the undergrad schools and those rankings follow quite similarly the law school rankings. Top ten undergrad top ten law. Except for NYU. It's undergrad ranking is in the thirties and I think that slightly diminishes it national rep with those who don't realize what a top law school it is.

Duke is the right answer here, but it's because NYU and Penn are not worth the extra 100,000 in debt, not because of the reasoning above. The ones who don't realize what a top law school is aren't the ones making hiring decisions at firms. There aren't many practicing lawyers out there who think Duke is a better law school than NYU because of NYU's lower undergrad ranking, and NYU's placement reflects that pretty easily across the board.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 am

I'm from Texas, went to NYU, and came back to Texas to practice. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions, more than willing to help inform your decision.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:34 am

Also, I will just say that BigLaw in Texas does not "absolutely adore" UT.

ETA: And LOL at Duke having the same prestige as NYU because it's in the South.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:09 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:21 am

why not UT for free?

science burner

Postby science burner » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 am

Big Dog wrote:why not UT for free?

This. And If not UT for free (or nearly so) then go to Duke, take that extra 100k your parents are willing to shell out, and invest out into a vanguard mutual fund or something.

That will get you a way better monetary outcome in the long run than the NYU or Penn degree will over one from Duke. Better yet, buy a maxed out Apple watch to impress all your future classmates with the money you'll be saving by going to Duke.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 pm

in my opinion, twenty's post itt is correct
without knowing more information from op, i strongly recommend she go to duke

the rest of this post is not directed at op
i just wanted to direct some comments at some of the arguments being made for/against nyu's portability ITT

of course nyu, a school in nyc, sends a lot of grads to work in nyc, the largest legal market in the country
if durham was the largest legal market in the country, most duke grads would work in durham

but if nyc was the only region in which nyu had pull, it would not be the case that 33.44% of c/o 2013 were placed outside of ny (and this figure would be higher if we were able to isolate the city; upstate firms, esp in buffalo, routinely recruit from nyu. however, this figure might be lowered by placement into northern jersey, technically part of the nyc metropolitan area) (source: nalp report http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... 13/nyu.pdf - and a map of the data http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... ion/2013/; compare this report to columbia's nalp report, which also has full disclosure of location data, and notice the similar pattern: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... lumbia.pdf - and a map of the data here http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... location/; duke doesn't release full location data, and a large percentage of the class is unknown, so a comparison is impossible. but i think the comparison to cls' data is strong support for my argument below)

of course no one could plausibly claim that duke does not have regions where it performs stronger and nyu has regions where it performs stronger
but i am suggesting that the concentration of nyu grads in nyc is not due to an inability for nyu grads to leave nyc (see the nalp disclosures, above), but rather due to the fact that nyu is in the nation's largest legal market, where nyc firms heavily recruit, and the fact students from the south will probably self-select into uva and duke the way students from the north self-select into cls, nyu, and penn

re: the claim of lay prestige, i have no idea why this is relevant. but i seriously doubt the claim that penn is so much more well-known nationally as to make a difference in terms of legal hiring (this horse has been beaten to death, but i'd be happy to resuscitate it. i actually doubt the premise altogether. to laymen, i'm not sure penn is so nationally well-known. i thought penn was the same as penn state until just a few years ago, and i can't be the only one in that boat) but again, why is this relevant?

re: the claim duke has a better reputation all across the country, see nekro's post above

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Brut wrote:in my opinion, twenty's post itt is correct
without knowing more information from op, i strongly recommend she go to duke

the rest of this post is not directed at op
i just wanted to direct some comments at some of the arguments being made for/against nyu's portability ITT

of course nyu, a school in nyc, sends a lot of grads to work in nyc, the largest legal market in the country
if durham was the largest legal market in the country, most duke grads would work in durham

but if nyc was the only region in which nyu had pull, it would not be the case that 33.44% of c/o 2013 were placed outside of ny (and this figure would be higher if we were able to isolate the city; upstate firms, esp in buffalo, routinely recruit from nyu. however, this figure might be lowered by placement into northern jersey, technically part of the nyc metropolitan area) (source: nalp report http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... 13/nyu.pdf - and a map of the data http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... ion/2013/; compare this report to columbia's nalp report, which also has full disclosure of location data, and notice the similar pattern: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/do ... lumbia.pdf - and a map of the data here http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... location/; duke doesn't release full location data, and a large percentage of the class is unknown, so a comparison is impossible. but i think the comparison to cls' data is strong support for my argument below)

of course no one could plausibly claim that duke does not have regions where it performs stronger and nyu has regions where it performs stronger
but i am suggesting that the concentration of nyu grads in nyc is not due to an inability for nyu grads to leave nyc (see the nalp disclosures, above), but rather due to the fact that nyu is in the nation's largest legal market, where nyc firms heavily recruit, and the fact students from the south will probably self-select into uva and duke the way students from the north self-select into cls, nyu, and penn

re: the claim of lay prestige, i have no idea why this is relevant. but i seriously doubt the claim that penn is so much more well-known nationally as to make a difference in terms of legal hiring (this horse has been beaten to death, but i'd be happy to resuscitate it. i actually doubt the premise altogether. to laymen, i'm not sure penn is so nationally well-known. i thought penn was the same as penn state until just a few years ago, and i can't be the only one in that boat) but again, why is this relevant?

re: the claim duke has a better reputation all across the country, see nekro's post above

Return to “Choosing a Law School”