Berkeley (nothing) vs. UCLA $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley or UCLA

Berkeley Law
89%
UCLA Law
11%

Total votes: 9

AriTheHuman

Berkeley (nothing) vs. UCLA $

Postby AriTheHuman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm just considering Berkeley and UCLA right now. I'm definitely more in love with Berkeley's culture and location. (In narrowing it down, I am turning down 40K from WashU, 45K from UC Davis, and 35K from USC)

-COA Berkeley = $80,078 (maybe 4K less without health insurance)
-COA UCLA = $74,066-$28,940 = $45,126

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
I have 60K set aside for my first year. Basically I could pay for almost a whole year at Berk, but then have to take out loans for the rest. I emailed them to ask if I can expect to get anything in need-based aid given that my assets will be $0 once I pay for the firs year.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I am from the Bay Area, my SO is going to school in NY but will join me in CA in 2 years, I plan to work in the Bay Area or the Pacific Northwest

-Your general career goals
I want to work in immigration law and policy, eventually transitioning to policy full time and potentially political office. I am considering doing a joint MPP, so that also factors into the cost and reputation of the schools.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
165, 3.69 (from Sarah Lawrence College)

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Twice

sesto elemento

Re: Berkeley (nothing) vs. UCLA $

Postby sesto elemento » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 pm

Did you not apply to any t-13 schools?

I'm assuming that COA is per year so you'd be paying sticker at Berkeley? Sounds like a bad idea.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:07 am

AriTheHuman wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm just considering Berkeley and UCLA right now. I'm definitely more in love with Berkeley's culture and location. (In narrowing it down, I am turning down 40K from WashU, 45K from UC Davis, and 35K from USC)

-COA Berkeley = $80,078 (maybe 4K less without health insurance)
-COA UCLA = $74,066-$28,940 = $45,126

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
I have 60K set aside for my first year. Basically I could pay for almost a whole year at Berk, but then have to take out loans for the rest. I emailed them to ask if I can expect to get anything in need-based aid given that my assets will be $0 once I pay for the firs year.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I am from the Bay Area, my SO is going to school in NY but will join me in CA in 2 years, I plan to work in the Bay Area or the Pacific Northwest

-Your general career goals
I want to work in immigration law and policy, eventually transitioning to policy full time and potentially political office. I am considering doing a joint MPP, so that also factors into the cost and reputation of the schools.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
165, 3.69 (from Sarah Lawrence College)

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Twice

Your COA numbers make no sense. How is your COA at Berk $80k when you said they've given you nothing? Also, if you want to do policy work, go get a masters in public policy. Your stated career goals do not justify paying full tuition at Berkeley if you don't want to actually practice law.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 am

I'm assuming all the figures are per year, so yeah OP's best bet is to roll with USC. Does Berk have LRAP or any loan forgiveness stuff for PI? If there's a way to get out of paying your 200k debt look into it.

AriTheHuman

Postby AriTheHuman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, COA was per year. Sorry for the confusion.
I do want to practice law, but I also have super long-term goals. Currently I see myself going into politics, but that could be 20 years down the line. I will be practicing law in the meantime.

Both Berkeley and UCLA have LRAP programs, so that is what I would do in both scenarios, yes. I would probably not end up actually paying for any of the loans (minus what I pay in interest fees possibly).

Thank you for your feedback. I really just cannot see myself at USC. I will consider waiting and taking the LSAT again. Apparently word went around yesterday that the aid offers from Berkeley might not be final, so this was probably premature and I may get something.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
AriTheHuman wrote:Yes, COA was per year. Sorry for the confusion.
I do want to practice law, but I also have super long-term goals. Currently I see myself going into politics, but that could be 20 years down the line. I will be practicing law in the meantime.

Both Berkeley and UCLA have LRAP programs, so that is what I would do in both scenarios, yes. I would probably not end up actually paying for any of the loans (minus what I pay in interest fees possibly).

Thank you for your feedback. I really just cannot see myself at USC. I will consider waiting and taking the LSAT again. Apparently word went around yesterday that the aid offers from Berkeley might not be final, so this was probably premature and I may get something.

I hope you do get something OP, though I doubt you'll receive enough to make Berkeley worth it since you're basically at both 25ths. When they accept someone below both medians, they assume they'll enroll, and so tend to think you'll just be happy you got in, and that they don't need to give you money. Berkeley's a fine school, but they have one of the 3 or 4 worst employment in the T14, and that's why they're not worth sticker. If you retake though, you'll be in a far stronger position and could be looking at a full ride to UCLA/USC vs. 100k+ at Berkeley. Judging by this year's admissions, even Harvard isn't out of the running with a good enough LSAT.

Just to be the voice of dissent here, but I think there's enough uncertainty/variance in employment data that Berkeley's low employment numbers aren't necessarily representative of outcome prospects, especially for people who want to be in CA. Pretty sure LST numbers are meant to be taken within a reasonable deviation, just like mylsn probabilities.

CA's top two schools are Stanford and Berk, and not all Stanford and Berk grads want to stay in Cali. I think if you want to stay in Cali and go to either of those schools, you can get almost any job you want as long as you're not bottom of your class. If you're near the top, you'll probably have a very good shot at the unicorn "Kobe's personal lawyer" jobs.

All that said, sticker debt is horrible so I'd take the scholarship and run.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”