Cardozo ($$) v. Brooklyn ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Brooklyn ($$) v. Cardozo ($$)

Brooklyn
63%
Cardozo
38%

Total votes: 8

TheOnePercent

Re: Cardozo ($$) v. Brooklyn ($$)

Postby TheOnePercent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:36 pm

1)
BaileyJohnson wrote:by people I mean anyone who believes that going to Brooklyn or Cardozo law school shouldn't even be an option

See:
Winter is Coming wrote:NYC is way too saturated a market to attend one of these schools at these prices (full ride would obviously be a much different story).

2)
BaileyJohnson wrote:do you people...actually think that nobody from Cardozo or BLS can get a good job?

See:
timbs4339 wrote:Now its not literally impossible to get a biglaw job from Dozo/BLS. Some people do it each year, but we're talking 10% of the class.

3)
BaileyJohnson wrote:If OP wants to go to law school, which you all continue to disregard, why not just answer his question as opposed to doing exactly what he has asks you all not to do?

See:
TheOnePercent wrote:If you really want to ordinally rank the two - look at their ABA placement stats (BL+clerk data).

BaileyJohnson wrote:Now, OP, if I was in your situation I would choose BLS. However, bear in mind, you will probably need to hit it out of the ballpark at both schools if you want to get a job paying north of 100k.

/bangs head on desk repeatedly
Last edited by TheOnePercent on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 pm

BaileyJohnson wrote:I don't understand, do you people--and by people I mean anyone who believes that going to Brooklyn or Cardozo law school shouldn't even be an option--actually think that nobody from Cardozo or BLS can get a good job? If OP wants to go to law school, which you all continue to disregard, why not just answer his question as opposed to doing exactly what he has asks you all not to do?

Now, OP, if I was in your situation I would choose BLS. However, bear in mind, you will probably need to hit it out of the ballpark at both schools if you want to get a job paying north of 100k.

A person can have both of these thoughts:

A) It is literally possible to have an amazing outcome from Brooklyn
B) If someone wants to have a good outcome they should never go to Brooklyn

You really don't understand how it's possible to think both of those things?

wildcats1991

Postby wildcats1991 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:25 am

Thank you BaileyJohnson

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 am

Set a reminder on your phone to come back here in 5 years and update.

ETA: You should be more careful about who you take advice from. It's insane that you're only listening to the one person (who has displayed 0 understanding of legal hiring) who agrees with you, and disregarding tons of others who have been through it and know what is involved. This isn't pretend man, this is real money and has real consequences... you don't get to mess this up and still get a mortgage to buy a home. Think.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:33 am

Use your scholarship from Brooklyn to negotiate more money from Cardozo. Get as much money as possible before you choose between the two schools.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:24 pm

BaileyJohnson wrote:I don't understand, do you people--and by people I mean anyone who believes that going to Brooklyn or Cardozo law school shouldn't even be an option--actually think that nobody from Cardozo or BLS can get a good job? If OP wants to go to law school, which you all continue to disregard, why not just answer his question as opposed to doing exactly what he has asks you all not to do?

Now, OP, if I was in your situation I would choose BLS. However, bear in mind, you will probably need to hit it out of the ballpark at both schools if you want to get a job paying north of 100k.

OP doesn't just want to go to law school. OP doesn't even want to be a lawyer. OP wants to be a biglawyer and represent F500 companies and investment banks or he wants to use the JD to somehow backdoor into a more business-type role at these places. And that's fine, but if OP ends up median or even just top 20% after the first year, he is very likely not going to do that. Instead he'll end up in a type of law that he clearly doesn't want to do. If OP understood this then the thread wouldn't exist.

kingpin101

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:33 pm

wildcats1991 wrote:Thank you BaileyJohnson

Seeing you say thank you to the only person in this thread that's giving you terrible life advice makes me want close my laptop and say "fuck it"

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:16 pm

wildcats1991 wrote:No one is really answering the question. If you arnt going to post something constructive do not post at all. Focus more on your perception of the schools (IN COMPARISON TO ONE ANOTHER) not on my personal decision to attend law school or relevant Law School Transparency data or whatever else is prompting some of the elitist responses above.

All of the advice here has been constructive. For your goals and your options, "don't go" is the clear answer.

You are the one saying you want to go down a "prestigious" and elite career path, and you are calling people elitists when they tell you that going to shitty schools wont make your elite goals realistic. OK. We are actually here to help you; you should be thanking us for our time rather than one new poster, who clearly has little knowledge w/r/t legal hiring, who is enabling you (most likely to justify her own crappy options and/or decisions).

But even if you had modest goals that did not require top-line schools/LS grades, these schools at these prices are simply unjustifiable. Neither "has ... prestige" nor will either hold any weight outside of NYC. Your most likely outcome from either is 1) not being employed as a lawyer or 2) being employed for a wage that will not allow you to reasonably pay down your debt or be worth the four year opportunity cost it required.

We get it, it totally sucks to hear this stuff. But you're not going to get a reasonable poster to entertain these options for your goals. We of course hope whatever you choose works out for you, but in all likelihood you're going to seriously regret the decisions you are about to make.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I'm curious what factors, if not employment data, you're asking people to consider in recommending one school over the other.

It seems to me that the two most relevant factors-- employment and cost of attendance-- are readily available for you to compare for yourself.

BLS is next to the courthouses, a Shake Shack, and a really badass vietnamese sandwich place, so there's that..

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Eddie Huang went to Cardozo and now he has his own network TV show. I think this is a simple decision.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Both are horrible. Gun to head, choose Brooklyn simply because it will be a shallower hole of debt.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Both are terrible choices for the type of work you want to do.

I guess you'll spend less money for a terrible outcome at Brooklyn, so I guess that's the better choice.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:03 pm

LawBron James wrote:Eddie Huang went to Cardozo and now he has his own network TV show. I think this is a simple decision.

That show is hilarious

Return to “Choosing a Law School”