UM or UF???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UM vs. UF

University of Miami
50%
University of Florida
50%

Total votes: 22

mbrenner

UM or UF???

Postby mbrenner » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:45 pm

I want to practice in Florida, preferably civil litigation, but I would also consider criminal law. Big, medium, small firm, don't care.

UM has offered a full scholarship and summer stipend through the Miami Scholars program. I'm expecting living expenses to be around $100k over 3yrs.

UF has offered a $57k scholarship, so in-state tuition would cost about $9k over 3yrs. Tuition and living over 3yrs would be about $88k.

I like that Miami has offered full tuition and accepted me into a respected program at the school. I also think the city of Miami offers better networking opportunities than Gainesville.

UF is higher ranked, though, and seems to be more respected in the state. I went to UF for undergrad, so I am not opposed to returning to Gainesville for 3yrs and am leaning that way because it is a "better" school and would cost slightly less, but Miami is a nicer place to live and may offer more opportunities.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by mbrenner on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlerraider1

Re: UM or UF???

Postby butlerraider1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 pm

mbrenner wrote:I want to practice in Florida, preferably civil litigation, but I would also consider criminal law. Big, medium, small firm, don't care.

UM has offered a full scholarship and summer stipend through the Miami Scholars program. I'm expecting living expenses to be around $100k over 3yrs.

UF has offered a $57k scholarship, so in-state tuition would cost about $9k over 3yrs. Tuition and living over 3yrs would be about $88k.

I like that Miami has offered full tuition and accepted me into a respected program at the school. I also think the city of Miami offers better networking opportunities than Gainesville.

UF is higher ranked, though, and seems to be more respected in the state. I went to UF for undergrad, so I am not opposed to returning to Gainesville for 3yrs and am leaning that way because it is a "better" school and would cost slightly less, but Miami is a nicer place to live and may offer more opportunities.

What do you guys think?

wat

mbrenner

Postby mbrenner » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:03 pm

butlerraider1 wrote:
mbrenner wrote:I want to practice in Florida, preferably civil litigation, but I would also consider criminal law. Big, medium, small firm, don't care.

What do you guys think?

wat

Did I overestimate living costs? lol Ok, to clarify, rent alone in Miami, where I would want to live, is about $64k over 3 years. Setting aside the money, since it will probably be around the same in either place, which do you think is a better option?

RomanRebel

Postby RomanRebel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 pm

What do you guys think?

Honestly, as far as job placement, both schools do pretty well in Florida. Miami is certainly more fun and more vibrant than Gainesville. What area of Miami would you want to live in? Brickell?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 pm

mbrenner wrote:I'm expecting living expenses to be around $100k over 3yrs.

W...t...f....

Can you get roommates? I'm no expert on Miami real estate, but that can't be right.

Otherwise, given your goals, UM sounds good to go.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Bluntly speaking, you're either a Miami person or a Gainesville type. In my opinion, either choice is correct as it really depends upon your nightlife preferences.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
mbrenner wrote:I'm expecting living expenses to be around $100k over 3yrs.

W...t...f....

Can you get roommates? I'm no expert on Miami real estate, but that can't be right.

Otherwise, given your goals, UM sounds good to go.

Maybe he wants to have steak every other day and buy fruity drinks for babes on the beach

Can you blame someone for wanting to enjoy a baller lifestyle during law school?

motoman92

Postby motoman92 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Former UF undergrad..

You're grossly overestimating the COL in Gainesville. Rent is dirt cheap, and you can get by on $500 a month on food and social expenses. You shouldn't spend more than $10,000 a year; $13,000 if you want to live in the nicest 1BR (about $1000 a month)

edit: Just saw you went to UF for undergrad. Where the hell where you spending all this money???
Last edited by motoman92 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:10 pm

One thing to consider, as an SA you will have to relocate for a few months. At UF you’d have to incur the expense of a move to either Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona or possibly Miami. At UM you would likely SA at a Miami firm. With that in mind, living in Miami could be cheaper.

mbrenner

Postby mbrenner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 pm

motoman92 wrote:Former UF undergrad..

You're grossly overestimating the COL in Gainesville. Rent is dirt cheap, and you can get by on $500 a month on food and social expenses. You shouldn't spend more than $10,000 a year; $13,000 if you want to live in the nicest 1BR (about $1000 a month)

edit: Just saw you went to UF for undergrad. Where the hell where you spending all this money???

Yea rent was pretty cheap with roommates, but I don't want roommates in law school and was planning on a two bedroom so I have a guest room/office. As for other expenses, I spend more than I probably should. Let's forget about it, I won't be taking loans anyways. Assuming COA is equal, you guys seem to be saying UM over UF?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:04 am

twenty 8 wrote:One thing to consider, as an SA you will have to relocate for a few months. At UF you’d have to incur the expense of a move to either Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona or possibly Miami. At UM you would likely SA at a Miami firm. With that in mind, living in Miami could be cheaper.

Its really unlikely that a law student at one of these schools would get a SA at a firm, period.

OP- if you have a rich benefactor paying your way I'd probably aim a lot higher than either of these schools just to get a better return on their investment.

Both schools seem pretty comparable and are fine with modest career goals and not too much debt, I think you can safely just choose whichever you prefer.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 am

In any event, OP will have to get a job somewhere. I imagine Gainesville has a small legal market, even for internships and externships. There is a good chance OP will have to leave Gainesville during the summer. It sounds like OP has external funding, though, so having to spend summer away really shouldn't be an issue financially.

I'd choose UF. It is the more prestigious and reputable of the two and has a lower COL. Also, Gainesville is an awesome college town that revolves around UF. Miami would be nice, too. But Miami is busier, much more expensive, and there are probably even more diversions there than in fun college town Gainesville. Also, I think anywhere OP might live near UF would be very safe and the proximity to the library would be conducive to studying. I understand the overall area around UM is more dangerous.

Go be a Gator. (Again.)

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:01 am

Oh, and re networking: there are Gator alumni groups in every city in FL. OP should have a relatively easy time tapping into one of these and finding attorneys to network with. It seems it is easier to network in Miami if in Miami because it is easiest to network where you are located. However, it is also easy to network anywhere you make an effort to network. Yes, travel will be involved outside of Gainesville but Jax, Tampa, Orlando are all not too far away. Miami places well because Miami is a good sized market. But UF probably has more clout everywhere other than Miami.

Maybe go to UM if you really want Miami long term. Otherwise UF.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:34 am

That is absurdly high even for NYC/SF grad student standards. Come on OP. You don't need a freaking guest room or an office. You're a broke student who needs to borrow money from the government at usurious interest rates, live like one.

Know that you will probably be starting out at around 40-60K after law school from either UM or UF. That's the likely salary for people who actually get FT legal jobs (i.e. not counting the 35% of people who don't). Maybe revisit your living standards if you are one of the 10% who gets a SA position, but plan to spend less than 20K a year in law school.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am

Yeah that COL estimate is super wonky. Are you planning on living ocean front in South Beach?
Priorities, man.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:21 am

To be fair, if it was all on a rich benefactor's dime and you don't care about their dime you might as well LIVE LARGE

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:39 am

$79,000 in living expenses for three years in Gainesville? Is that even possible? At any rate, UM sucks. I would choose UF at these prices.

FL legal market sucks tho. Fair warning.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 am

If you really want to work in Miami specifically, I think UM is best. If you want options elsewhere in FL in addition to Miami (Tampa, Orlando, Jax, etc.), then UF.

But yeah, you need some real budget training/therapy if you can't live in either city for far less than what you're estimating.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:02 pm

AT9 wrote:If you really want to work in Miami specifically, I think UM is best. If you want options elsewhere in FL in addition to Miami (Tampa, Orlando, Jax, etc.), then UF.

But yeah, you need some real budget training/therapy if you can't live in either city for far less than what you're estimating.

This is certainly not true for Biglaw. I don't know enough about midlaw to say with any authority whether UM has an edge in Miami over UF, but if I were betting I would definitely place my money on UF having the advantage, even in Miami. I think the "UM is better for Miami but not the rest of the state" idea is mostly a myth.

mbrenner

Postby mbrenner » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:47 pm

timbs4339 wrote:That is absurdly high even for NYC/SF grad student standards. Come on OP. You don't need a freaking guest room or an office. You're a broke student who needs to borrow money from the government at usurious interest rates, live like one.

Know that you will probably be starting out at around 40-60K after law school from either UM or UF. That's the likely salary for people who actually get FT legal jobs (i.e. not counting the 35% of people who don't). Maybe revisit your living standards if you are one of the 10% who gets a SA position, but plan to spend less than 20K a year in law school.

Good thing for you guys. Big wake up call. Revise those estimates down to $50k each. I'll tell my family to keep their money, tls says they can only pay for one bedroom, get a hotel if you wanna visit, right? Gotta learn to like fast food too. My dog will have to do without a fancy dog daycare too...and that fresh food he likes. Oh well, tls knows better what I can and can't afford.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:57 pm

mbrenner wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:That is absurdly high even for NYC/SF grad student standards. Come on OP. You don't need a freaking guest room or an office. You're a broke student who needs to borrow money from the government at usurious interest rates, live like one.

Good thing for you guys. Big wake up call. Revise those estimates down to $50k each. I'll tell my family to keep their money, tls says they can only pay for one bedroom, get a hotel if you wanna visit, right? Gotta learn to like fast food too. My dog will have to do without a fancy dog daycare too...and that fresh food he likes. Oh well, tls knows better what I can and can't afford.

Good for you man, you tell em. You're not a peasant and you sure as shit aren't going to live like one. Neither is your dog.

Canned dog food? Lol just lol@ tls and its canned dog food.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 pm

mbrenner wrote:

If your parents are paying, by all means go ahead. I'm still a bit confused about how you can't live in Miami on even 25K per year. Spend $1300 on rent and $1K on expenses. You know you can make perfectly awesome, non-fast food meals at home, right?

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I went to Miami for undergrad and living expenses around UM is certainly not that high lol! I would say that if you shared an apartment it would cost you around 800-1200 a month so on the high end that's $14,400 a year or $43,200 for 3 years.

For UF, it'd probably be around 600-800 a month.

LOL your analysis is WAY off. I would suggest attending UM if you want to work in Miami.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Timbs seems like the kind of guy who would feed canned dog food to his dog.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:03 pm

And force my family to stay in hotels. And do my legal work in my living room for god sakes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”