(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CassiusX

Postby CassiusX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for your input everyone! Very useful.
Last edited by CassiusX on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Re: Duke ($$) vs. Harvard ($)

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:13 pm

With that little of a difference in cost, I'd go Harvard especially since you aren't super sure on what you want to do with your law degree.

michlaw

Postby michlaw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Harvard. At this price difference no question about it imo.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Agree with others. Have you tried negotiating with Duke? You might be able to get a full (or really close to it).

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:18 pm

By scholarship at H do you mean need aid? If so, bear in mind that could potentially change year-to-year.

Don't feel like I am qualified (whatever that means) to tell you where to go, but at that price difference I'd go (am going) to H over another school.

SquedTheScholar

Postby SquedTheScholar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 pm

What are your goals and where do you want to practice? If you want the south, maybe Duke. If you're open to any location and are not sure what job you'd like, Harvard for sure.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah OP if by "$75k scholarship" you really mean "you were awarded $25k this year and you are extrapolating over three years," then you will almost certainly not hit $75k over three years. If (when) you get a 2L SA, something like 90% of your income above a certain amount (something like 7k) will be deducted from your aid for the following year. That'll virtually wipe your need based aid for 3L year and same applies if you land a 1L SA.

I have no suggestions for which school is the better choice for you because it's a highly personal financial decision that depends on your finances as well as your family's. Just want to make sure you have all of your info on the table.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:40 pm

yot11 wrote:Yeah OP if by "$75k scholarship" you really mean "you were awarded $25k this year and you are extrapolating over three years," then you will almost certainly not hit $75k over three years. If (when) you get a 2L SA, something like 90% of your income above a certain amount (something like 7k) will be deducted from your aid for the following year. That'll virtually wipe your need based aid for 3L year and same applies if you land a 1L SA.

I have no suggestions for which school is the better choice for you because it's a highly personal financial decision that depends on your finances as well as your family's. Just want to make sure you have all of your info on the table.

+1

H's formula is to reduce aid/increase the student contribution by 90% of "Net Income" (Net income is calculated as after-tax earnings over a maximum of 12 weeks less a 7400 living allowance).

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/student ... er-income/

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 pm

If however your plan is to pursue PI work over summers (as mine is) then you will likely be funded by H's Summer public interest fund to the tune of 5-5.5k which would mean your student contribution would not be affected by that (since your income would not reach the 7400 threshold. Also bear in mind cost of living increases and tuition increases will affect your total debt as well.

ETA: given that you may want to do biglaw you should assume you I'll get a 1/2L SA. That woukd mean a cut to need aid at H, whereas a merit scholarship is fixed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”