Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Berkeley with a half-ride ($25,000/year)
21
81%
USC with a full-ride
5
19%
 
Total votes: 26

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:56 pm

What about my out of state options, like Duke or Cornell? Do they place badly in California? I know they both send a small number of students to California every year, but is that by choice?

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:57 pm

ub3r wrote:I hope you get into Stanford. I think you will.



I hope so too, beyond anything else. I actually cried (I know) when I found out I didn't get a matching scholarship from Berkeley because I had convinced myself it was a good possibility. :(

Here's hoping Berkeley gives me a non-matching scholarship if I don't get in to Stanford.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm

drballison wrote:
ub3r wrote:I hope you get into Stanford. I think you will.



I hope so too, beyond anything else. I actually cried (I know) when I found out I didn't get a matching scholarship from Berkeley because I had convinced myself it was a good possibility. :(

Here's hoping Berkeley gives me a non-matching scholarship if I don't get in to Stanford.

And here's hoping that SLS gives you some need-based aid. SLS at sticker isn't that different from Boalt at sticker.

User avatar
Dog
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm

drballison wrote:What about my out of state options, like Duke or Cornell? Do they place badly in California? I know they both send a small number of students to California every year, but is that by choice?


Hopefully someone that went to those schools from CA that targeted CA can help you. I honestly don't know if Cornell/Duke provide a significant advantage in CA over USC, where you already have a full ride. Maybe someone else does.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Dog wrote:
drballison wrote:What about my out of state options, like Duke or Cornell? Do they place badly in California? I know they both send a small number of students to California every year, but is that by choice?


Hopefully someone that went to those schools from CA that targeted CA can help you. I honestly don't know if Cornell/Duke provide a significant advantage in CA over USC, where you already have a full ride. Maybe someone else does.



Anyone have any advice on this front? Being purely honest with myself, I'm like this:
CA Biglaw>>>>>>CA non-Biglaw>>>>>>>NY Biglaw. So California placement means a lot

seagan823
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby seagan823 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:30 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2013/

Cornell places 7.8% of its graduates in California, second most popular destination after the 57.5% in New York. 57% of grads in large firms, 10.9% in clerkships. No idea what percentage of that 7.8% are biglaw, but if you are averse to taking on large amounts of debt, are dead set on big law and are willing to make it your mission to work in California it seems like a decent option. Just have to figure out if the three years in upstate NY is worth it.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

drballison wrote:
Dog wrote:
drballison wrote:What about my out of state options, like Duke or Cornell? Do they place badly in California? I know they both send a small number of students to California every year, but is that by choice?


Hopefully someone that went to those schools from CA that targeted CA can help you. I honestly don't know if Cornell/Duke provide a significant advantage in CA over USC, where you already have a full ride. Maybe someone else does.



Anyone have any advice on this front? Being purely honest with myself, I'm like this:
CA Biglaw>>>>>>CA non-Biglaw>>>>>>>NY Biglaw. So California placement means a lot


I'd say USC then.

Disclaimer: 0L.

wsag826
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby wsag826 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 am

Literally nobody on this website (but a few people who are usually screamed down until they stop commenting) will recommend that you take any school at sticker or near sticker price. So in your consideration, know that this forum is lopsided against you taking sticker...pretty much anywhere you could possibly consider going.

I definitely don't think you should reapply with your scores and GPA. There's little more that you can do with that kind of score without uprooting your life which is not as easy as some on this forum erroneously claim.

I think you have great options. If you ultimately do not care about the $$, my opinion would be to take Boalt. If you do, I don't see why Cornell is that bad if you want to end up on the west coast without paying a dime. Congratulations!!

User avatar
Dog
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Dog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 am

wsag826 wrote:Literally nobody on this website (but a few people who are usually screamed down until they stop commenting) will recommend that you take any school at sticker or near sticker price. So in your consideration, know that this forum is lopsided against you taking sticker...pretty much anywhere you could possibly consider going.

I definitely don't think you should reapply with your scores and GPA. There's little more that you can do with that kind of score without uprooting your life which is not as easy as some on this forum erroneously claim.

I think you have great options. If you ultimately do not care about the $$, my opinion would be to take Boalt. If you do, I don't see why Cornell is that bad if you want to end up on the west coast without paying a dime. Congratulations!!


If almost nobody on this forum would recommend eating your own poop does that mean TLS is lopsided against eating your own feces, or is eating your own feces just a terrible idea? LST has the sticker cost of Boalt at $279,531 for students starting in 2014. That's $3,224 a month on a ten year plan, and $2,142 a month on a twenty year plan. That might be manageable on a Biglaw salary, but what happens if the OP ends up hating Biglaw... Or worse, missing it altogether?

The OP has essentially a perfect GPA and is at or above every school's median LSAT. Those stats are great and should result in perfectly acceptable outcomes. Boalt at sticker is not an acceptable outcome with those numbers.

OP should be choosing between large amounts of t14 money, a full scholarship to UCLA/USC, or an acceptance to the holy trinity of HYS. 2 of those options are already on the table with the third pending. If Boalt doesn't play ball and bring some $$$, it's out.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 am

Poll might be helpful too, OP.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 pm

I just got offered $75,000 from Berkeley split over three years (I'm in state, so it's a half-ride). I've thought about it a lot and realized I really want to stay in California, so I'm deciding between Berkeley at half-ride and USC at full-ride.

I just submitted a LOCI to UCLA and am waiting to hear back from Stanford but that's my new list.

Any advice with this new information? I really appreciate you all taking the time because this has been a very stressful process and your advice has been so helpful.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Poll might be helpful too, OP.



Can I add a poll to this post or would I need to make a new post? Sorry, new to posting on here!

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:31 pm

drballison wrote:I just got offered $75,000 from Berkeley split over three years (I'm in state, so it's a half-ride). I've thought about it a lot and realized I really want to stay in California, so I'm deciding between Berkeley at half-ride and USC at full-ride.

I just submitted a LOCI to UCLA and am waiting to hear back from Stanford but that's my new list.

Any advice with this new information? I really appreciate you all taking the time because this has been a very stressful process and your advice has been so helpful.

If you're okay limiting your market to Southern California, and if you're comfortable with the likelihood of not getting big law, then USC. Otherwise, Berkeley.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:34 pm

drballison wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Poll might be helpful too, OP.



Can I add a poll to this post or would I need to make a new post? Sorry, new to posting on here!


Edit your first post of the thread, should be an option to add a poll.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks, just added a poll!

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Congrats on Berk coming through OP! Good option.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Congrats on Berk coming through OP! Good option.


Thank you! My last two days with Berk its like "quit playing games with my heart!"

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Big Dog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Go Bears!

wsag826
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby wsag826 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:00 am

Dog wrote:
wsag826 wrote:Literally nobody on this website (but a few people who are usually screamed down until they stop commenting) will recommend that you take any school at sticker or near sticker price. So in your consideration, know that this forum is lopsided against you taking sticker...pretty much anywhere you could possibly consider going.

I definitely don't think you should reapply with your scores and GPA. There's little more that you can do with that kind of score without uprooting your life which is not as easy as some on this forum erroneously claim.

I think you have great options. If you ultimately do not care about the $$, my opinion would be to take Boalt. If you do, I don't see why Cornell is that bad if you want to end up on the west coast without paying a dime. Congratulations!!


If almost nobody on this forum would recommend eating your own poop does that mean TLS is lopsided against eating your own feces, or is eating your own feces just a terrible idea? LST has the sticker cost of Boalt at $279,531 for students starting in 2014. That's $3,224 a month on a ten year plan, and $2,142 a month on a twenty year plan. That might be manageable on a Biglaw salary, but what happens if the OP ends up hating Biglaw... Or worse, missing it altogether?

The OP has essentially a perfect GPA and is at or above every school's median LSAT. Those stats are great and should result in perfectly acceptable outcomes. Boalt at sticker is not an acceptable outcome with those numbers.

OP should be choosing between large amounts of t14 money, a full scholarship to UCLA/USC, or an acceptance to the holy trinity of HYS. 2 of those options are already on the table with the third pending. If Boalt doesn't play ball and bring some $$$, it's out.


I'm not telling OP what to do...I'm merely pointing out that when someone on this forum asks, "Should I take X at sticker?" the answer is going to be 95% No from TLSers. People will tell you to retake and/or reapply before they tell you to take something at sticker or near sticker price. It's just something worth pointing out.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 am

Texas with a full ride plus 15k a year stipend deserves some serious consideration in my opinion. Debt free = freedom = less stress= better job performance. Plus, Texas profs may help get you interviews for Federal clerkships if you do well in law school. A year or two of clerking after law school should help significantly with biglaw placement.

Ask Duke for more money.

Forget Cornell if not interested in NYC.

Columbia at sticker is not a realistic option, in my opinion.

USC with full tuition is a great option based on your geographical preferences & a federal clerkship after law school should greatly enhance your chances for biglaw placement in California.

Berkeley with 25k is an easy choice.

Seems like UCLA & Harvard should have been options---at least waitlist at Harvard.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Big Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:25 am

Texas with a full ride plus 15k a year stipend deserves some serious consideration..


Perhaps you missed the key line in the post:

"About me: I'm a SoCal native who went to school here and fully intends to work in California."

A fine school and college town, but UT adds nothing to a Californian desiring to land in California. Nothing.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 am

I read the entire thread, but decided to share my thoughts. Placement in California is possible from UTexas.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:56 am

drballison wrote:I just got offered $75,000 from Berkeley split over three years (I'm in state, so it's a half-ride). I've thought about it a lot and realized I really want to stay in California, so I'm deciding between Berkeley at half-ride and USC at full-ride.

I just submitted a LOCI to UCLA and am waiting to hear back from Stanford but that's my new list.

Any advice with this new information? I really appreciate you all taking the time because this has been a very stressful process and your advice has been so helpful.


Go to Boalt. If you want CA big law it is definitely worth $75k more than USC. It's the difference between pretty secure at median (B) versus still shitting your pants at top 25% (USC). These dramatically increased odds are totally worth paying what amounts to less than a half-years salary.

Plus, LA fucking sucks.

User avatar
Dog
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:58 am

I'm not telling OP what to do...I'm merely pointing out that when someone on this forum asks, "Should I take X at sticker?" the answer is going to be 95% No from TLSers. People will tell you to retake and/or reapply before they tell you to take something at sticker or near sticker price. It's just something worth pointing out.


I never said you told OP what to do. I just don't agree that it's worth pointing out. TLSers argue against paying sticker with good reason. There's not much use in informing the OP the majority of TLS will correctly advise him/her to not pay sticker. You don't have to take the consensus with a grain of salt solely because a consensus exists.

I'm guessing you feel TLS feels too strongly about why paying sticker is a bad idea. I think I know where you're coming from. But honestly, now that OP has $$ at Berkeley (which OP's numbers clearly deserve) there's really not much use in arguing about this.

drballison
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Boalt v. Columbia/NYU v. Cornell/Duke v. USC/UT

Postby drballison » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Texas with a full ride plus 15k a year stipend deserves some serious consideration in my opinion. Debt free = freedom = less stress= better job performance. Plus, Texas profs may help get you interviews for Federal clerkships if you do well in law school. A year or two of clerking after law school should help significantly with biglaw placement.

Ask Duke for more money.

Forget Cornell if not interested in NYC.

Columbia at sticker is not a realistic option, in my opinion.

USC with full tuition is a great option based on your geographical preferences & a federal clerkship after law school should greatly enhance your chances for biglaw placement in California.

Berkeley with 25k is an easy choice.

Seems like UCLA & Harvard should have been options---at least waitlist at Harvard.


Honestly have no idea what happened with Harvard, especially since I got an early JS1 that I thought went great. As for UCLA, I've been assuming YP, so I recently sent them what I think is a persuasive LOCI. Does anyone know if its possible/probable to get a full-ride off the waitlist at UCLA with my numbers? Should mention I just graduated from UCLA.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo, Google [Bot] and 2 guests