Why does Georgetown have so many more applicants?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thatsnotmyname

Why does Georgetown have so many more applicants?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:41 am

I came across this list: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... int=963108

GULC stands out as having way more applicants than any other law school. No other school gets close to the number of applications that GULC get. GULC received 7,793 applications (just for the full-time program) while NYU, the next closest school received 6,193 applications. It seems that most of the other top schools are in the 5,000 - 6,000 applicant range while GULC is closer to 8,000 (it probably comes in over 8,000 once you factor in part-time applications). I was just curious as to why there is such a large discrepancy between GULC and the other schools in number of applicants?

Obviously it's a T14 and a great school so it makes sense that it attracts a lot of applicants, but I don't understand why they are attracting that many more applicants than the next school down. Based on my admissions cycle, GULC is not very aggressive on recruiting applicants to apply with mailings, emails, fee waivers, etc. I actually didn't receive anything like that from GULC even though I got a lot of those kind of communications from other schools.

GULC obviously has a larger class size than just about everywhere else, but I don't know how/why a large class size would influence more applicants to apply who are not otherwise interested? The larger class size would be more of a function of getting so many applicants, not so much the other way around. A candidate's perceived odds of admission may influence their willingness to apply (i.e., a lot of kids probably don't apply to Yale just because they think they have no shot) but GULC admissions standards are comparable to other lower T14 schools and strong regional schools like Vandy/Texas/UCLA and none of those other schools are pulling in as many applicants either.

The most distinguishing factor between GULC and the other schools, imo, is location. GULC would get a lot of applicants who want to be in DC. But are there really that many more applicants who are applying because they want to be in DC for law school?

What are your guys' thoughts on why GULC gets so many more applicants than other law schools?

DCfilterDC

Re: Why does Georgetown have so many more applicants?

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:43 am

Combination of having a huge class, not being a T13, and strong layman's prestige.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:51 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:53 am

It's a "safety" for everybody with good numbers and a "reach" for everybody with poor numbers.

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Does anyone else find the title "georgetown university law center" stupid?

Not a fan

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:It's a "safety" for everybody with good numbers and a "reach" for everybody with poor numbers.

downbeat14 wrote:If u have subpar numbers, this is the most likely acceptance in the T14. Plenty of low 160 scorers out there who would gladly mortgage their financial future for a spot at that tier of school.

Plus the reasons stated by the poster above. This really shouldn't be that surprising to you TBH

The numbers argument applies to Cornell as well, Cornell is also at the bottom of the T14 and as far as I know generally has lower medians than GULC. They also don't really YP so could function as a similar safety/reach school for applicants. GULC's numbers aren't really out of line with their peers with the exception of maybe the last year of data where their median LSAT dropped to 167 (but this is still the same as Cornell's). Cornell does have less lay prestige and a really undesirable location for most people.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... gpas-.html
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... cores.html

I'm just really surprised though that Georgetown's lay prestige and location would result in that many more applicants than other schools that are similarly ranked.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:14 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Does anyone else find the title "georgetown university law center" stupid?

Not a fan

Yes.

More pressing is why in the hell they don't change it.

Number 1 Law Center in America bro.

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
TheodoreKGB wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Does anyone else find the title "georgetown university law center" stupid?

Not a fan

Yes.

More pressing is why in the hell they don't change it.

Number 1 Law Center in America bro.

I never realized that. Maybe that's why they get close to 10,000 applicants.

Maybe other schools should try to rebrand themselves as Law Centers? The market is currently only composed of 6 law centers and it's dominated by GULC.

The Unofficial Law Center Rankings
1. Georgetown University Law Center

2. University of Houston Law Center
3. Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University
4. Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
5. Shepard Broad Law Center, Nova Southeastern University
6. Southern University Law Center

Return to “Choosing a Law School”