Leveraging Hamilton and Ruby to negotiate Yale aid?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pizzicatodreams

Leveraging Hamilton and Ruby to negotiate Yale aid?

Postby pizzicatodreams » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:51 am

Anyone have experience with this? Y assessed my parental contribution as $0 (I'm 24) and offered me $20k.

Still haven't heard back from H or S so not sure if I'll even get in, let alone get a more generous package.

I have until mid-April to respond to Ruby so I think I should get the ball rolling on the negotiation soon so I can still have that option.

I'm also an IILJ finalist at NYU but they're taking super long to decide on it and I'm neither sure if I'll get it nor that the package would come in time even if I did.

My decision will be based in part on whether or not I can get better aid from Y. Very interested in an international career focused on legal and political development issues combining fieldwork and academia—the latter a bit later on. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Pneumonia

Re: Leveraging Hamilton and Ruby to negotiate Yale aid?

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:11 am

Y is need based, the others are merit. Apples and oranges. You can try negotiating, but I probably wouldn't, and if you do you're very likely to simply get a form letter saying "no."

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:17 am

Y's only going to consider packages from H and S if you get in, and even then, only if there is a significant disparity in how each estimates need. Aid packages from all 3 tend to be pretty similar with Y and S being slightly more generous than H, from what I've heard.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:13 am

HUMBLE BRAG ALERT

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:HUMBLE BRAG ALERT

This post accomplished absolutely nothing. Let people ask questions in the on-topics.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Yale's initial aid offer to me was $0. I responded with the Ruby in hand and asked for a reassessment, and they immediately asked things like "Could we consider some of your parents' savings figures as designated for retirement, even though that money is not in a designated retirement account?"

They upped my offer to $14.5k per year in fellowship/grant aid.

I think that around 20k is close to where they max out their need-based aid (ETA: better sources below indicate it's 35k). They tend to expect you to take out loans and then use COAP or make so much money it doesn't matter.

I think it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Last edited by Instinctive on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foamborn

Postby foamborn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:30 pm

i believe max need is closer to 30k.

eta: best of luck, and congrats!

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 pm

pizzicatodreams wrote: Very interested in an international career focused on legal and political development issues combining fieldwork and academia—the latter a bit later on. Thoughts?

Do you have a phd in a relevant field? If not the odds of getting anything resembling your dream job are almost nil from any school. I'd take the Ruby, I really think it's the best outcome in the LS game.
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Max need aid at Y (for a single student, probably changes if you have dependents) for 15-16 is 35017.

Source: am poor.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”