Emory ($$) vs. Alabama ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory v. Alabama

Emory
83%
Alabama
17%

Total votes: 6

meggzzyy

Emory ($$) vs. Alabama ($$)

Postby meggzzyy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:58 pm

So I've been accepted into four schools total: Alabama, Emory, William and Mary and George Washington

I've already ruled out W&M (in-state tuition, fellowship, and work study) and GW (nothing, no aid at all), and I'm left deciding between Emory and Alabama. (Though if anyone wants to make an argument for W&M or GW I'm open to it.)

Emory has offered me a $99,000 grant, so I would be paying about $18,500 out of pocket each year for tuition and about $38,300 total per year after cost of living and all that.

Alabama has offered me a $25,000 renewable grant contingent on me remaining in the top half of the class. I would be paying $11,000 out of pocket for tuition and about $30,000 after cost of living.

Everything not covered by the school will be covered by loans, and as I'm already sitting at about 30 grand in debt, the 8,000/year dollar cost difference just doesn't phase me much.

I'm from California and I have no idea where I would like to work after graduation (though I would like to make my way back to CA eventually). What I do know is that I really, really, really want a federal clerkship after graduation. Which is what is making this decision so frustrating. Alabama has consistently has placed around 10% of its graduating class in federal clerkships (and 5% in state one's), whereas Emory places about 5% federally and 2% state. Now because Emory has much larger graduating classes than Alabama this actually means that Alabama places just a few more students than Emory, but it also makes me feel like being one of those 50 students would be much more competitive at Emory than Alabama.

I like Alabama, they flew me out, they wine'd and dine'd me, and everyone from students to deans interacted with us super casually. Emory hasn't been so accommodating, and seems much less accessible in general. What's stressing me out is that Alabama is more regional, and if I don't get a clerkship getting into big law is at least plausible out of Emory. I don't know where I want to end up, but I do know that I don't want to be stuck somewhere just because of the name of my school. I also have no ties to either place. I've only been to the Atlanta airport, and my first time stepping foot in AL was when they flew me out.

GPA/LSAT 3.01/166; LSAT taken twice

I've been comparing and contrasting for a month and I still have no fricken idea, so any fresh opinions would be welcome!

Nomo

Re: Emory ($$) vs. Alabama ($$)

Postby Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:25 pm

None of these schools are a good match for you. I think you should sit this one out. Maybe retake the LSAT and reapply. Or maybe just go after another career.

You don't want to be at a regional southern school with no ties to the south. Especially with the goal of eventually working your way back to California.

Also ... don't be influenced by how well Alabama treated you. That treatment more or less ends once they have you. What you should be looking for is a school that gives you excellent odds of getting the type of job you want, in the location you want. By the way, what are your career goals?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:24 pm

2nd what Nomo said, these don't make sense for your goals. If you want to work in CA, you should go to a CA school or a T-14.
Why do you want a federal clerkship? I definitely wouldn't pick a school that makes it 5% more likely to get one.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:36 pm

If you want California, law schools in California would be better. Did you apply to UC Irvine or USC? You seem to be in their range. Between Emory and Bama, I would guess Emory might travel better. But barely. However, they might place into Atlanta firms that have offices in California... but I would not bank on that.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Bros, she said she wants to make her way back to California eventually, not practice law there!

Emory seems to be what it's all about in this thread. Do well there, spend a solid 10-15 years practicing law, hopefully in ATL, and then buy that sweet plane ticket back to California. :wink:

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:18 pm

DaRascal wrote:Bros, she said she wants to make her way back to California eventually, not practice law there!

Emory seems to be what it's all about in this thread. Do well there, spend a solid 10-15 years practicing law, hopefully in ATL, and then buy that sweet plane ticket back to California. :wink:

It doesn't make much sense to spend 15 years practicing in Atlanta; build a life there, a reputation, a legal network, and a knowledge of state law ... just to try and start over in California. Plus OP is at a disadvantage just getting a job in Atlanta, at least compared to someone who grew up in Georgia and went to Georgia Tech for undergrad.

lawdoggy

Postby lawdoggy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:04 pm

If you want a clerkship, Alabama is the clear choice. I you want to go back out to CA, then both schools are horrible options. A JD from either one will likely land you in the South permanently absent a clerkship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”