Michigan ($$) vs. USC ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan ($$) or USC ($$$$)

Michigan
85%
USC
15%

Total votes: 27

Nmsx8

New

Michigan ($$) vs. USC ($$$$)

Post by Nmsx8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:48 am

I'm having a tough time choosing between Michigan and USC. I received 20k/yr from Michigan and 45k/yr from USC. I know Michigan is in the T14 while USC is not, but as of now, I want to try and look past that and focus on a few other factors. In terms of COL, I'm receiving no help at all from family, magic money trees, etc., so I'll be taking out loans for that.

I honestly don't know what I want to go into, however I'm fairly certain that I do not want to go into the public sector. I'm not quite sure if I want to go into Biglaw - it's not my "dream," but I wouldn't be opposed to it either. I am interested in possibly working in Entertainment/Sports, but again, not set in stone. I'd like to end up in NYC, but that does not mean that I'm dead set on having my first job out of law school in NY (though it would be very convenient).

I know that if I go to Michigan, I will have much better opportunities in terms of Biglaw, but my largest concern is being "chained to a job" that I do not necessarily like only to pay off the debt that I incurred at Michigan. (On the other hand, I could actually like my job and not mind it). I know that I could "tough it out" for 5 years to pay off loans and then do what I really aspire to do, but I honestly don't want to hate my life for 5 years and a career change is easier said than done.

USC's location obviously ups the convenience factor when it comes to networking in the entertainment market. Additionally, if I went to USC, I would have a little more freedom in terms of choosing a path that isn't dicated by my level of debt. However, I'm a little concerned of putting all of my eggs in the LA basket. USC does have OCIs in NY, so I would be exposed to opportunities on the east coast. Apparently USC is desperate to get their eastern employment rates up, so I think they may actually help out a solid amount - but how will I stack up next to candidates from T14s?

I've visited both campuses and loved both. I was definitely happier on USC's campus than Michigan's, and sunshine is pretty important to me...though not more important than finding a great job that pays 100k+.

Additionally, I think I can negotiate with USC to give me a few more perks.

So do I go to Michigan, where my debt will be pretty intense, but I'll have a solid chance of obtaining a job in Biglaw (which may be a good or bad thing), but will have probably wasted a ton of money if I choose to go into entertainment. Or do I go to USC, where I my debt will be low, but I'll have a tougher time going against candidates from T14 schools?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. USC ($$$$)

Post by TheodoreKGB » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:05 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:13 am

You've provided some useful information, but I think we need to know a lot more in order to help you with this question.

Where do you want to work?

Where do you have ties?

Do you have any idea what practice area you want to work in?

What is your debt at repayment going to be from each school (this includes tuition increases, loan origination fees, and interest that grows while you're in school)? We have calculators that can help with this.

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:50 am

Ultimately, I'd like to end up in NY as I have most family there, but I wouldn't be opposed to starting out somewhere else and eventually transferring.

If I could work in house in LA in the entertainment/sports field and eventually transfer to NY, that would be ideal. I am also aware of how competitive this market is.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:56 am

Hey. So I wouldn't come to SC wanting NYC. Also, ent/sports is really hard to break into w/o pre-existing connections.

Apples and oranges question. Cornell?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Well . . . I don't think you should go to USC with the goal of ending up back in New York. The easiest way to get New York is to get it right after law school. And your odds of doing that out of USC aren't that great. If you spend your first few years in California you're going to start developing a network there and its going to be harder to leave.

You haven't given us debt figures for Michigan. But I'm guessing that you're looking at least 200k debt at graduation. That's way too much for someone who is worried about being stuck in a job they don't like. (You should have real concerns about not even being able to get the job you don't like - biglaw - but if you do get it you need to stick it out for a while).

So I think the conclusion here is that you shouldn't take either of these options. Don't go to law school right now. If Michigan was charging a reasonable price it would be a great option for you. But these days nobody is charging a reasonable price. The system is broken. Law school just doesn't make sense for a lot of people, even people would make good lawyers.

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Hey. So I wouldn't come to SC wanting NYC. Also, ent/sports is really hard to break into w/o pre-existing connections.

Apples and oranges question. Cornell?

That's true - I'm just thinking I'll have a better chance of networking and making connections while at USC.

I got 40k/yr to Cornell, and I know that's a direct pipeline to NYC, but I honestly don't think I can do Ithaca. I think I would go insane before going through the 3 years.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 pm

You're making quite the mistake if you choose Michigan or USC over Cornell at those prices.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:31 pm

If you got 40k a year at Cornell, have you told Michigan that yet? They might negotiate, although 20k a year is at the top-end of what they usually do minus Darrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:47 pm

If the choice is between Michigan with 20k & USC with 45k, then the clear choice is Cornell with 40k since you want NYC.

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:48 pm

jrthor10 wrote:If you got 40k a year at Cornell, have you told Michigan that yet? They might negotiate, although 20k a year is at the top-end of what they usually do minus Darrow.
I'm planning on negotiating with both Michigan and USC with that information. Additionally, I'm still waiting to hear from Duke and GULC regarding scholarship information, though I doubt I'll receive anything from Duke and I honestly wasnt impressed by GULC when I visited.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:45 pm

You should go to Cornell. But if you were going to pick between Michigan and USC, I would take Michigan. Definitely try negotiating with Michigan though.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 pm

michigan, no question

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Cornell here is the no brainiest no brainer who has ever never brained

Go to Cornell

Seriously

GO

TO

CORN

ELL

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:18 pm

jrthor10 wrote:20k a year is at the top-end of what they usually do minus Darrow.
lol

mich never not gonna mich

They need to get it together and start matching peer schools like Duke and Cornell. I would get on Northwestern's case as well but at least they hand out 150K like candy.

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:20k a year is at the top-end of what they usually do minus Darrow.
lol

mich never not gonna mich

They need to get it together and start matching peer schools like Duke and Cornell. I would get on Northwestern's case as well but at least they hand out 150K like candy.
I was waitlisted at Northwestern (as well as UCLA)

christraeger150

New

Post by christraeger150 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 pm

jrthor10 wrote:If you got 40k a year at Cornell, have you told Michigan that yet? They might negotiate, although 20k a year is at the top-end of what they usually do minus Darrow.
Incredibly false. Check LSN. Lots of people have reported getting 35k and 40k a year (although Michigan doesn''t negotiate so its a moot point.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 am

What are your reasons for thinking Ithaca would make you go insane? From California, currently at Cornell, the weather wasn't that unbearable.

Don't go to USC if you want to be in NYC.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:25 am

Cornell. Would you rather deal with Ithaca, not be in NYC, or be chained to a job you don't like?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 am

Wut no. Tons of people get 75k/90k/120k

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 am

Also Michigan DOES negotiate

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Update post-negotiations (using 120k from Cornell):

Michigan upped their scholarship from 60k to 90k, and USC upped theirs from 135K to 144k. I've been doing a lot of thinking and researching, and I'm really leaning towards Michigan, but the price tag is still hefty, especially considering how expensive 1L on-campus housing is. Any recommendations with how to negotiate further? They did already increase the award by 10k/year and I don't want to seem ungrateful for that, but it would obviously be ideal to make these 3 years more affordable.

I understand that some law schools negotiate things other than scholarships, like "free" on-campus housing (which I highly doubt Michigan would do), guaranteed first year summer firm job, etc...I just don't know what the "etc." is.

Anyone have any experience counter-offering with Michigan? Or just any recommendations in general?

FWIW I've gotten $45k from Duke in the time-being, but I doubt that little would be worth much to Michigan.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:36 pm

where do you want to work OP? what kind of work do you want to do? what is your lsat/gpa?

Nmsx8

New

Post by Nmsx8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:55 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:where do you want to work OP? what kind of work do you want to do? what is your lsat/gpa?
Not set on anything yet - more focusing on finalizing scholarships right now. 25%<LSAT<50% and GPA>75% for Michigan.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

are you coming straight through from undergrad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”