HELP - Berkeley v. Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas or Berkeley?

Texas w/$$$
67%
Berkeley @ sticker
33%

Total votes: 9

rpupkin

Re: HELP - Berkeley v. Texas

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 pm

banjo wrote:I'd probably take UVA at 150k COA. It's over 100k cheaper than Berkeley, not in a big city, and should get you back West if you can sell your ties. Whatever that partner said doesn't seem right. People at median get CA callbacks at CLS, so why would those firms only consider top 10% from UVA?

I don't know. That's a huge amount of debt to take out for a school that gives you a decent--but not a strong--chance of working in the state in which you want to practice. I'm not saying Boalt at sticker is the right choice, but 150K of debt out of UVA does not seem wise for someone with no interest in NYC or DC.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 pm

What about lower ranked regionals next cycle? you could likely go for free or close to it and have a good shot at an outcome you'd be okay with. Gunning at Boalt with sticker debt is scary stuff.

Tigerlily74

Postby Tigerlily74 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:00 pm

It is terrifying - but I actually applied to a few regional schools in CA/WA as well, and they would not offer full-rides because of my GPA!! :( Everyone I speak to has a different opinion, but a think it's still a slight edge in favor or Berkeley if I am deadset on law - which I am.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Tigerlily74 wrote:Duke - 54,000 COA 190,000
UVA - 90,000 COA 150,000
NU - 75,000 COA 160,000
Cornell - 45,000 (not responding to negotiation request...not seriously considering as we would have to go NY)

I would only feel the need to do BL if I had a large debt load to finance - otherwise, I would prefer government/non-profit work, which is why Berkeley at sticker is so frightening.

I spoke with an old professor of mine this morning, who also happens to be a partner at one of the top-5 BL firms in LA, and he seems to believe that I would be able to pay off Berkeley debt and it is the best choice... he thinks choosing Columbia would also be acceptable at sticker, but the others (UVA, Duke, Cornell, NU) they do not consider seriously when hiring unless you are in the top 10% of your class.

Does he know how much sticker costs these days or does he still think it costs less than 100k?

Also, really? Top 10% to get LA biglaw? I believe top 10% to get San Francisco, but LA? I'm skeptical....

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Tigerlily74 wrote:It is terrifying - but I actually applied to a few regional schools in CA/WA as well, and they would not offer full-rides because of my GPA!! :( Everyone I speak to has a different opinion, but a think it's still a slight edge in favor or Berkeley if I am deadset on law - which I am.

You don't know what you're deadset on since you've never worked as a lawyer. I'd only trust that you had any insight whatsoever if you've worked as a paralegal at a biglaw firm. Right now you just sound naive.

Is your husband rich/have a good job to pay for your COL, etc.? If not, I'd probably go to Texas.

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm starting to think troll....first off, there is no "top 10" university in Southern California (besides Caltech) and the OP didn't major in a science....hmmmmm

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:I'm starting to think troll....first off, there is no "top 10" university in Southern California (besides Caltech) and the OP didn't major in a science....hmmmmm

What are you talking about? Who said anything about a "top 10" university in Southern California?

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:26 pm

rpupkin wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:I'm starting to think troll....first off, there is no "top 10" university in Southern California (besides Caltech) and the OP didn't major in a science....hmmmmm

What are you talking about? Who said something about a "top 10" university in Southern California?

OP's profile

Tigerlily74

Postby Tigerlily74 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm not a troll. :) Also, where are you getting Top 10 from? I went to a top-10 liberal arts college just outside of LA if you are referring to undergrad.

I can't account for this individual's perspective on hiring, I'm just relating it. He is aware of the current cost. Obviously I know he has a biased opinion on things. I am not naive - I have been out of school, working, and paying back loans for the past few years. I have been working 70 hr/week jobs that I hate to pay them - I'm going into it understanding the potential risks and rewards.

I do fully understand your suspicions though - I acknowledge that I am slightly insane for making this choice in the first place. Thank you for your input!

arose928

Postby arose928 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Ha I asked this same question a couple months ago - Berk at sticker vs UT at half price: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242786

Folks on that thread said it was pretty unlikely to get a CA job from TX. I've talked to other people IRL since then and they said it's possible and folks who want it get it, but it's a lot harder. FWIW, I also talked to a student from UT who had friends at Berkeley, and she said they were waaaay happier than UT students (largely due to the grading system). Sample size of one, but was one of several pieces that helped confirm my decision to go to Berkeley over UT (another of which is that I got need-based aid so they're now the same price - so it's not quite the same situation as you anymore).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”