WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL or Washington and Lee (20k scholly)

WUSTL
1
25%
Washington and Lee (20k scholly)
3
75%
 
Total votes: 4

User avatar
looseycloosey
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby looseycloosey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:21 pm

WUSTL or Washington and Lee(20k scholly)
Cost of living is the same in both places.
W&L is selling me on their small class size, but WUSTL is nationally recognized so that's why I'm here asking for your help! :)

I'm willing to move wherever
-The schools you are considering

WUSTL vs. Washington and Lee
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
WUSTL COA W&L COA
$48,345 $25,000
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Fed Loans (COA) Family (COL+supplies etc.)
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
Ties in L.A. but well traveled and totally willing to work in any major city: Chicago, D.C., NYC, L.A., etc.
-Your general career goals
cyberlaw or business law

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd hate to imagine what your outlines look like

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:30 pm

So those COA are per year?

User avatar
looseycloosey
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby looseycloosey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Winston1984 wrote:So those COA are per year?

Yes, per year

User avatar
lawdoggy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby lawdoggy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:40 pm

I wouldn't go to W&L unless it was a full ride + stipend.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:53 pm

That makes WUSTL too expensive, and W&L doesn't match your goals.
What are your stats?

User avatar
looseycloosey
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby looseycloosey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Winston1984 wrote:That makes WUSTL too expensive, and W&L doesn't match your goals.
What are your stats?


Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 156 LSAT/3.3 GPA/URM
I've already taken the LSAT 3 times.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:10 pm

I honestly would take a TTT in Southern California over W&L in your situation. I definitely wouldn't go unless it was free (or almost free) though. Did you not apply to other schools?

Wattz
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:38 am

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Wattz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm

looseycloosey wrote:Ties in L.A. but well traveled and totally willing to work in any major city: Chicago, D.C., NYC, L.A., etc.


Just looking at LST placement numbers: If you want to work in Chicago or LA, go with WUSTL. NYC is about an even break (10% of WUSTL's 2013 class, 10.7% of W&L's), and W&L has the advantage in DC

User avatar
looseycloosey
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby looseycloosey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Winston1984 wrote:I honestly would take a TTT in Southern California over W&L in your situation. I definitely wouldn't go unless it was free (or almost free) though. Did you not apply to other schools?

Really? Ugh. Yeah, I've been accepted into American, Cardozo, Chicago Kent, Loyola Chicago. But I didn't think they were worth mentioning over these two. Still waiting on IU-Bloomy & Emory

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Basically you want to work in a major market. DC is really tough to crack, so let's assume that's out from these schools. Chicago will be tough, but doable with some of your Chicago options. Your best bets would be LA/NY. I would rather go to LMU for free than W&L at half off for example. W&L isn't going to get you any of the markets you want. You didn't apply to any CA schools?
What is your COA at Dozo?

User avatar
looseycloosey
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby looseycloosey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Basically you want to work in a major market. DC is really tough to crack, so let's assume that's out from these schools. Chicago will be tough, but doable with some of your Chicago options. Your best bets would be LA/NY. I would rather go to LMU for free than W&L at half off for example. W&L isn't going to get you any of the markets you want. You didn't apply to any CA schools?
What is your COA at Dozo?



Still waiting on LMU. I got rejected from USC and didn't apply to any UC's because my numbers aren't quite there.

COA at Dozo is $53,000. Lol so that's pretty steep

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL vs. W&L ($$)

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:06 pm

looseycloosey wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Basically you want to work in a major market. DC is really tough to crack, so let's assume that's out from these schools. Chicago will be tough, but doable with some of your Chicago options. Your best bets would be LA/NY. I would rather go to LMU for free than W&L at half off for example. W&L isn't going to get you any of the markets you want. You didn't apply to any CA schools?
What is your COA at Dozo?



Still waiting on LMU. I got rejected from USC and didn't apply to any UC's because my numbers aren't quite there.

COA at Dozo is $53,000. Lol so that's pretty steep

Yeah.. So I might really rethink attending law school right now. These schools are really expensive and the job opportunities are pretty bleak. Maybe work a couple of years and retake the LSAT.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests