UMD vs GMU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aenti

UMD vs GMU

Postby aenti » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:18 am

I have in state options @ both w/ 10k scholarships @ both.

I would ultimately like to practice in DC + potentially transfer through Gtown's early decision process. Tuition will be essentially free for all 3 years due to certain circumstances, so my only loans will be the cost of living.

Any recommendations?

BigZuck

Re: UMD vs GMU

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:22 am

You probably won't be in a position to transfer because you need good grades to do that and you should assume you'll end up with average grades because it's impossible to predict how you will do going in. So, if you want to go to Georgetown then do it now, don't gamble on the transfer.

aenti

Postby aenti » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:26 am

BigZuck wrote:You probably won't be in a position to transfer because you need good grades to do that and you should assume you'll end up with average grades because it's impossible to predict how you will do going in. So, if you want to go to Georgetown then do it now, don't gamble on the transfer.

Oh, I completely agree. Not banking on transferring at all. However, only have the opportunity for tuition to be fully covered for these 2 schools, so I don't want to waste that opportunity. That being said, if I do alright my 1L year, I would consider applying. Out of those 2 options do you have any preference or suggestions?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:36 am

Check out the website http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

Looks like George Mason has more people employed in DC for the most recent year. But as you can see neither school does a great job creating lawyers. Only about half of the most recent class were working as lawyers 9 months after graduation from both schools.

In general I have heard that DC is a very tough market to crack, especially if you want to work at a big firm or for the government. What kind of lawyer job are you hoping to get?

aenti

Postby aenti » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 am

BigZuck wrote:Check out the website http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

Looks like George Mason has more people employed in DC for the most recent year. But as you can see neither school does a great job creating lawyers. Only about half of the most recent class were working as lawyers 9 months after graduation from both schools.

In general I have heard that DC is a very tough market to crack, especially if you want to work at a big firm or for the government. What kind of lawyer job are you hoping to get?

I have about 2 years working in consulting/financial statement audits, so I would prefer corporate securities to stay in line with my current experience. Do you think the fact that the employment opportunities are low I should move on? If I were paying sticker price + not 70kish for 3 years of law school I would definitely not be attending. But as it stands it's not a bad price

Return to “Choosing a Law School”